Sponsored

Bright White grille turning yellow

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I just wonder how durable the painted grilles will be against rock chips and such.

If you ask most body shops they'll tell you that their paint isn't as durable as the factory paint jobs because they generally don't have any way to bake the finish on the way the factory does.

Pourboire

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Seems more like a gel coat than factory paint, very durable just changing color
I suspect that any white JL will show some difference in color between different material panels. In this case plastic and metal. My white 2013 BMW which I bought new shows a difference in color between the metal hood and white fenders. Even my beige BMW shows a difference between the plastic and metal panels. My concern is that the panel colors don't degrade over time. There is a slight tint of yellow in my 4 month old JL Sport -S.

Sftdyna0326$

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LR4
Jeep just received my grill assembly but it now needs to be painted. I was told these came in color.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I just wonder how durable the painted grilles will be against rock chips and such.

If you ask most body shops they'll tell you that their paint isn't as durable as the factory paint jobs because they generally don't have any way to bake the finish on the way the factory does.
Not true at all. Most high end body shops actually use very high quality paint. Some of the paint is of higher quality then the OEM paint. Most if not all good shops use ovens to speed up the cure rate of automotive clear and paint.

2018RUBI

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Well, it is as I feared. All 4 of my fenders are starting to show the yellowing just like the grill.

Man-of-methods

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR (His) 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS (Hers)
Vehicle Showcase
Well, it is as I feared. All 4 of my fenders are starting to show the yellowing just like the grill.
Highly doubtful. Have any pics? Heat is the cause of the yellowing. How are all 4 of your fenders getting engine heat?

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
Highly doubtful. Have any pics? Heat is the cause of the yellowing. How are all 4 of your fenders getting engine heat?
Exposure to UV radiation can cause plastics to change color (turn yellow) and is typically known as UV degradation. The color change is due to the oxidation of the polymers that make up the plastic.

Sponsored

Man-of-methods

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR (His) 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS (Hers)
Vehicle Showcase
Exposure to UV radiation can cause plastics to change color (turn yellow) and is typically known as UV degradation. The color change is due to the oxidation of the polymers that make up the plastic.
Sounds good, but this color change on the white Jeeps that the current JL is experiencing is really caused by heat, not UV degradation. The driver's side gets really hot from engine heat, moreso than the passenger side, infact, the passenger side is a lot cooler, mainly from blockage of the air intake and battery. That's why everyone's White Jeeps here are having their grille (driver's side on top corner) turn a yellowish hue color. Not passenger side and definitely not the rear fenders. That's why I asked for pics. If his are turning yellow (rear fenders) then he is the first.....and THOSE would fit UV degradation.

I still seriously doubt his rear fenders are yellowing.

Mach_eyy

First Name
Maciek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara (Bright White)
Just wanted to put my knowledge of the issue on here.

I know people who work for FCA and PPG (paint supplier) and this is a known issue that’s affecting a good amount of Bright White JL’s built between January and July 2018. Yellowing seems to be in the same spot on all of them [drivers side headlight area and drivers side fender near the grill]

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
Just wanted to put my knowledge of the issue on here.

I know people who work for FCA and PPG (paint supplier) and this is a known issue that’s affecting a good amount of Bright White JL’s built between January and July 2018. Yellowing seems to be in the same spot on all of them [drivers side headlight area and drivers side fender near the grill]
Interesting. Did they change something in July 2018? Or is it just that those haven't had enough time to yellow yet?

Lar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Noticed mine is also starting to yellow as well. Drivers side upper corner of grill. Mine is covered in PPF coating (Sun-Tech Premium) so I would have thought it would not yellow due to the protection . Had the grill, front window surround and 4 fenders covered after purchase. Mine was a April 2018 build.
I suspect i will have to remove the PPF before taking in or be told it is the coating that is discoloring rather than the paint.

Mach_eyy

First Name
Maciek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara (Bright White)
Interesting. Did they change something in July 2018? Or is it just that those haven't had enough time to yellow yet?
It may be that they haven’t had time to yellow yet. The grilles come painted from the supplier directly to TNAP - looks like the supplier may have been using a lower quality clearcoat on the grilles as well. All in all, a small handful have been replaced under warranty by FCA.
Sponsored