Bright White grille turning yellow

UrbanRogue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Ya I really need to make appointment with dealership to address mine as well. its driving me nuts
Sponsored

MALL R8D

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
My JL 2dr. Rubi was built on 5/5/18. It has about 4,000 miles on it. It too, is showing the yellowing of the grill.

Started on drivers side above and to right side of the headlight itself. Along with the yellowing, overall, the white grill has a subdued white color and is no longer Bright White.

I spoke with the dealership's General Manager today and he is going to reach out to FCA to find out how to deal with it. He suggested possibly pulling the white grill off of a newly arrived white JL...(would that grill just turn yellow also) he also mentioned that he did not just want to repaint it unless FCA said to do so.

Again, said he will make sure it is taken care of, but has to get with FCA to find out the best approach.

For the record, I had mentioned to the GM, the concern about the know issue of the JL grill turning yellow when I ordered the JL months ago. Today, he said he remembered I had concerns at that time.

I also mentioned I would not leave my JL there or at a body shop as I was afraid of damage..paint over spray damage, etc.. I asked him to arrange for new grill to be painted and made ready and then I would come and wait in the waiting room, on the vehicle while they installed it. Removal and install of a JL grill takes little time. GM said he understood my concerns and would work something out.

Mine is yellowing in the same spot. It is still mainly noticeable if I look at it from the side rather than straight on. I want to get it taken care of, but I am wondering if I should wait until it is clear from every angle so I don't have a hassle with the dealership over fixing it. I contacted @JeepCares with the info they requested (VIN and mileage) but haven't heard back yet.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Mine is yellowing in the same spot. It is still mainly noticeable if I look at it from the side rather than straight on. I want to get it taken care of, but I am wondering if I should wait until it is clear from every angle so I don't have a hassle with the dealership over fixing it. I contacted @JeepCares with the info they requested (VIN and mileage) but haven't heard back yet.
Well, I have noticed mine turning for a couple of weeks now. It has been bothering me, but like you I wanted to wait til the yellowing was more prominent.. THEN, I noticed very recently, the whole grill had a dull cast... non bright white look to it anymore.

SO, today.. I decided to stop at the dealership and talk to the GM. He said right out, we might as well document and address it now as the grill is going to get worse in short order.. he said "It's just a matter of time". GM's only concern was how to handle it the best way so he is going to talk to his FCA rep.

I will post more here when I I know more.... 8-)

jeep mamma

First Name
Dot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubcon JL
Ya I really need to make appointment with dealership to address mine as well. its driving me nuts
I too purchased a 2018 white Rubicon in June. After one month of owning I noticed the grill was turning yellow 2,000 miles. I searched the internet and stumbled across this site and realized this is a common issue with the white. I printed some of the issues other people were having with theirs, took it to the dealership yesterday and without hesitation they ordered me a new grill. So grateful for this site. Thank You!!!

jkill

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2 Door Rubicon
Has anyone heard of a resolution from the factory? In other words, are they still putting out defective paint jobs on the white JL?

I ordered my white 2 door JL Rubicon two weeks ago and now I realize that might have been a mistake.

Any answers from @JeepCares?

Thanks in advance.

-J-

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@jkill

You really don't think @JeepCares is going to have an answer for this. LOL

Can tell you, if you have a Bright White JL/JLU your grill is going to start to discolor / turn yellow. Unless the JL never is out in the heat / sun, but yes, it will yellow.

FCA will fix under warranty.

By the way to pull and replace a grill takes less then 15 min..

My 2 dr. JL's grill is yellowing..... is discolored a bit.

My dealer is communicating with FCA on how to handle. They will either replace or paint the grill I have.

IF they chose to paint it, I will pull the grill and they can send out to paint. I will ride around / locally without the grill the for 4-5 or whatever days it takes to get the grill repainted.

No way will I let my JL sit in an autobody shop collecting over spray, etc..

jkill

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2 Door Rubicon
@jkill

You really don't think @JeepCares is going to have an answer for this. LOL

Can tell you, if you have a Bright White JL/JLU your grill is going to start to discolor / turn yellow. Unless the JL never is out in the heat / sun, but yes, it will yellow.

FCA will fix under warranty.

By the way to pull and replace a grill takes less then 15 min..

My 2 dr. JL's grill is yellowing..... is discolored a bit.

My dealer is communicating with FCA on how to handle. They will either replace or paint the grill I have.

IF they chose to paint it, I will pull the grill and they can send out to paint. I will ride around / locally without the grill the for 4-5 or whatever days it takes to get the grill repainted.

No way will I let my JL sit in an autobody shop collecting over spray, etc..

Thanks for the reply. So after weeks of reported problems they haven't responded with an answer or a solution? The factory just continues to spit out defective units? That doesn't sound very responsible or efficient.

How about all the other painted plastic bits? Are they going to experience the same yellowing?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the reply. So after weeks of reported problems they haven't responded with an answer or a solution? The factory just continues to spit out defective units? That doesn't sound very responsible or efficient.

How about all the other painted plastic bits? Are they going to experience the same yellowing?
@jkill

MOST of those have reported it was just the grill that yellowed or discolored a bit. I think one guy here showed a pic with fender involvement.
Hopefully, in time FCA will find a fix for the units being painted in the future.

If you do a forum search you will find other fit and finish things that you we can quibble about. One example of this, is that all JL/JLU's have a dent in the doors. Fortunately, it hardly shows.. is barely noticeable on the Bright White JL/JLU.

No sense beating this to death. It is what it is..........

1idrod

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ritterhomesinc.com
Vehicle(s)
06 GMC 3/4 Diesel, 02 V-Rod
Occupation
Builder
Well I'm gonna have to jump on this wagon also. Had mine 1 month and a day and it stays garaged unless it's being driven. Have just over 800 miles and gave it it's first bath today and noticed yellowing to. In the same spot others mentioned (driver side above headlight to the right). Ugh. I also have another issue I'll post in another thread dealing with instrument cluster staying on.

jkill

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2 Door Rubicon
@jkill

MOST of those have reported it was just the grill that yellowed or discolored a bit. I think one guy here showed a pic with fender involvement.
Hopefully, in time FCA will find a fix for the units being painted in the future.

If you do a forum search you will find other fit and finish things that you we can quibble about. One example of this, is that all JL/JLU's have a dent in the doors. Fortunately, it hardly shows.. is barely noticeable on the Bright White JL/JLU.

No sense beating this to death. It is what it is..........
I don't mean to "beat it to death". I am simply wondering if it would be more prudent to cancel the order and try a less problematic color?

If it was simple, like a clearcoat or primer issue, they should have it resolved quickly. Just curious why this is so difficult to fix. Many manufacturers have to adjust and tweak "on the fly". It is just the nature of manufacturing a new product.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@jkill

Was not meaning you when I said "beat it to death" ... Just saying no point in getting to caught up in it so to speak. Regardless of what color you get there will be something. Like I said, most all colors but white, the dent in the door stands out like a sore thumb. Yellowing can be dealt with easily, dent cannot...

If you are wanting white then for sure I would not let this yellowing issue of the grill hold you back. Very easy to remedy ... when they finally figure it out, you get a grill under warranty and done deal.

I'm actually toying with the idea of having the grill painted to match the color of the black bumper and the black fender trim.

I am anal about such stuff but this yellowing thing is tame and easily dealt with. I wanted Bright White, I got Bright White for for bad or for worse... :like:

MALL R8D

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
@Rhinebeck01 there is a picture of a bright white with the satin black grille posted near the end of the Bright White owners post.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
I wanted to play with vinyl wrapping a black replacement grille anyway, so I bought one and dropped off the original grille at the dealers. The first painting attempt was not good, debris in the paint and the bottom, sides, head light buckets and slot sides were rough from inadequate paint. It was worse than the yellowing paint. The estimator I was working with kept trying to convince me it was good enough because paint from the factory is not perfect either. Twice he took it back for additional buffing, but some of the paint was too rough to buff out. I asked for the manager, who took one look and said they would do it over. When I picked it up 3 days later it was perfect.

Jabs

First Name
Jabs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Hello group!
I have a bright white rubicon and I noticed my grille is turning yellow. The yellow may be due to heat or sun exposure but either way it shouldn’t happen especially within the three months I have had the new JL. Can anyone provide info or possible solutions? Thanks

I have the same issue on my white Rubicon. It’s not as bad as yours but definitely visible!

ItsUhJEEP

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon
I am in the beginning stages of the yellow'ing.

i'm going to assume it is a HEAT issue? The Air Intake is on the passenger side keeping it cooler over there.
Sponsored