First Name
Deep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler North Edition
Occupation
Eng.
FWIW I took mine to a major Sacramento area dealership. They said they had never seen this problem before.

After a few people looked at it they agreed to cover everything (paint) and the car was ready in a few days.

So far it looks great and I haven’t noticed any issues.

Good luck to everyone working through this. I love how white looks on a Jeep but I might reconsider if buying again!
Hi. Just following up. Did you notice the paint turning yellow again after doing the re-paint??

Deepc408

First Name
Deep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Eng.
I got the same response initially. Got JeepCares involved and it was promptly approved for a repaint (fender flare yellowing). Had it repainted a couple weeks ago. I’m not sure how I feel about this remedy. I would have preferred a factory painted fender flare, but at least the yellowing is gone (covered up).
Hello, did the yellowing ever return?

Deepc408

First Name
Deep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Eng.
I just dropped my Jeep off at dealership who is working with Jeep Cares on this item... They will have it for about a week as they are sending it over to paint shop to pull and redo grill and fenders that are yellowing... Jeep Cares called me right after dropping it off to ensure all items are noted and will be working with the dealership directly with this issue... I will say the Jeep Cares team has been very good in helping to get this thing moving... I will provide details once I get it back...

Picked up Jeep from dealer and it is a huge difference after body shop repainted. Grill and fenders look brand new. I will get pictures tomorrow and post them here.
Hello. Did you notice if the yellowing returned??

Sponsored

rnocon

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon
I haven't seen this question on the thread: Does the turbo or the 3.6 get this condition more than the other?
I thought it was only happening to us early adopters that purchased the 2018 models...

AdamNash

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUS
Not sure but mine is a turbo. I’m about to break down and make my appt as it’s continuing to get worse. It’s garage kept with less than 5,000 miles still so no idea what would cause it to continue to worsen. To add, mine is a 2020 so it’s not just the early ones.

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
Not sure but mine is a turbo. I’m about to break down and make my appt as it’s continuing to get worse. It’s garage kept with less than 5,000 miles still so no idea what would cause it to continue to worsen. To add, mine is a 2020 so it’s not just the early ones.
I posted this some time ago, but it is likely buried in the thread. I spoke to a buddy who works for a company that makes protective paints and sealants for vehicles. He explained it.

The issue is a combination of 2 things. The heat from the engine makes the fiberglass more susceptible to discoloration caused by UV rays. This explains why it's more prevalent on one side of the grill than the other. The way the engine sits in the V6 Jeeps causes the heat to be more pronounced on the driver's side. Not sure how the 2.0T sits, so it may discolor in a different spot.

In actuality this is likely happening on all colors of Jeeps. But a discoloration will be dramatically more noticable on a white Jeep than on a darker color.

So that's what is causing it. Now how to fix it? That's the more challenging thing. Clearly Jeep hasn't received enough complaints to justify the expense of engineering a significant fix. But they do seem to be honoring the warranty for those of us who do complain. I plan to have my grill replaced at about 32 months old (prior to the 36 month warranty expiration). Chances are the next will will discolor as well, so I'm debating asking them to replace it with a black grill.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
I posted this some time ago, but it is likely buried in the thread. I spoke to a buddy who works for a company that makes protective paints and sealants for vehicles. He explained it.

The issue is a combination of 2 things. The heat from the engine makes the fiberglass more susceptible to discoloration caused by UV rays. This explains why it's more prevalent on one side of the grill than the other. The way the engine sits in the V6 Jeeps causes the heat to be more pronounced on the driver's side. Not sure how the 2.0T sits, so it may discolor in a different spot.

In actuality this is likely happening on all colors of Jeeps. But a discoloration will be dramatically more noticable on a white Jeep than on a darker color.

So that's what is causing it. Now how to fix it? That's the more challenging thing. Clearly Jeep hasn't received enough complaints to justify the expense of engineering a significant fix. But they do seem to be honoring the warranty for those of us who do complain. I plan to have my grill replaced at about 32 months old (prior to the 36 month warranty expiration). Chances are the next will will discolor as well, so I'm debating asking them to replace it with a black grill.
I would get your grill repainted. Mine is fine 2.5 years after the repaint.

Sponsored

AdamNash

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUS

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2017 Tahoe LTZ
2020 here. 400 miles my flare was turning. Few hundred later grill.
I have a 2.0 turbo.
my dealer didn’t even have me bring it in to see. I texted him a pic. Said ya we will order all new parts.
Took awhile but they got me new grill with surrounds. And a new flare. Local shop painted them. 6500 miles and good still. They didn’t even mention about repainting mine. I’m glad.

my yellowing was exactly at the line under the hood where the black rubber started. Meaning the yellowing was only where there was no rubber attached to the hood so maybe if they extended the black stripping all the way it would be enough insulation cause it’s kinda interesting how it literally ended exactly at that point.

JCstingray

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sport Altitude 2.0T Sting Gray
I have a 2021 sting gray with 3000 miles. Just noticed the yellowing on the driver side grill area near the hood. Not as noticeable unless on direct sunlight but its definitely there. Sad quality.

AdamNash

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUS
I have a 2021 sting gray with 3000 miles. Just noticed the yellowing on the driver side grill area near the hood. Not as noticeable unless on direct sunlight but its definitely there. Sad quality.
Oh man, I know misery loves company but I was really hoping this was only effecting Bright White. I finally took mine to my local dealer two weeks ago and rec’d an approval for them to cover under warranty. I ended up showing the tech this thread because at first his demeanor was pretty non committal when I took his first pass. Have to drop it off next week for four days with no loaner so I’m not 100% thrilled with the whole thing but it could be much worse.
Sponsored