Sponsored

Bright White grille turning yellow

Periokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Bright White JLUR and some others.
400 miles, 8/31 delivery, yellow grill and yellow painted fender on engine side. :(
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Are you guys happy with a repaint, not a new grill with a factory finish?
The finish on my repaint looks like the factory finish after I made them redo their sloppy first attempt. I know some are holding out for a factory solution, but I don't think that's going to happen. Logistically for FCA to provide a factory finished white grill, wouldn't they have set up a sku number and maintain an inventory of factory painted white grills? I also saw someone comment in a post that the sting grays are starting to yellow also, so another sku for them. And even if the factory finish is a special finish, it's not listed on the Monroney that way (like Keyless Enter n Go on my sport) so I don't think they are legally obligated to anything other than industry standard paint finish.

The big question is, is it better to get a new grill painted white or the existing grill repainted? On a repainted grill, you would still have the advantage of the factory finish under neath, that is unless it continues to deteriorate under the new paint.

Oilslick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
I got a call from fca telling me I am preapproved for dealer to repaint my grill! I said hell no, aftermarket paint is not what I bought off the lot. Told him to call me when they have factory finished replacement available . I hope others hold them to that as well. I have worked in auto repair for 23 years and can confidently say that nothing will ever hold up to bugs like factory paint.

Periokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Bright White JLUR and some others.
I got a call from fca telling me I am preapproved for dealer to repaint my grill! I said hell no, aftermarket paint is not what I bought off the lot. Told him to call me when they have factory finished replacement available . I hope others hold them to that as well. I have worked in auto repair for 23 years and can confidently say that nothing will ever hold up to bugs like factory paint.
But the factory paint is bad, so what do we do?

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
I wouldn't be surprised if the yellowing issue is also happening on other color jeeps but you can't see the yellowing because the contrast isn't as noticeable. My brother has a 82 El Camino that was repainted Bright White. When we put a new cowl hood on, which was all steel, it started to yellow after a year. Since it was barely driven and hardly in the sun, it took longer to change. I'm by no means a chemist or a painter so I don't know what the cause behind it but I'm fairly certain UV light is the culprit. It's also not un common to see yellowing happen with clear bras installed on hoods and grills. When I worked at a CJD dealer a few years back, when we removed clear bras almost all had a yellow tint to them, you just didn't notice on non white vehicles.

Sponsored

71beepbeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl Sahara
Are you guys happy with a repaint, not a new grill with a factory finish?
No! This is my second damn Jeep in a year, and both have had paint issues. 5,000 miles on my JK and only 800 on my JL. You would think that Jeep Cares would reach out to me since they apparently read this forum. Maybe I’m the idiot for buying another Jeep product.

MrFritz

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Sahara
Dealership ordered a new grille and painted it for me under Warranty. It looks like they used a can of spray paint. The clear coat has lumps all over. Terrible decision looks horrible I wish i left it yellow. Sad.

D8A34477-6BF6-4FE4-907F-241067820800.jpeg

C1D12DCB-5BDA-41A1-9D17-5DBB9443FFE2.jpeg

MrFritz

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Sahara
My Fender is yellow too but they said dont worry about it. When doing color match they said all the fenders where a different color than the body. “If we match the front fenders they wont match the rear.”

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Dealership ordered a new grille and painted it for me under Warranty. It looks like they used a can of spray paint. The clear coat has lumps all over. Terrible decision looks horrible I wish i left it yellow. Sad.
@MrFritz

Why did you not tell the dealer that that paint job is not acceptable and for them to redo?

It's on you for accepting it. Can tell you, there is no way the dealer would have seen me accepting that paint job.

MrFritz

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Sahara
@MrFritz

Why did you not tell the dealer that that paint job is not acceptable and for them to redo?

It's on you for accepting it. Can tell you, there is no way the dealer would have seen me accepting that paint job.
I didnt accept it they told me to call tomorrow. I told the service guy it was horrendous

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@MrFritz

Dealership, has to make it right. IF they say they will not, contact FCA, Customer Service. don't bother with JeepCares, call FCA, Customer Service and tell them what the issue is. They will get after dealer. FCA is paying dealer for that paint job so they will get after that dealer..

Lithograph

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Vehicle Showcase
...sigh...

Add me to the list. 2k miles and my grill is yellowing also. It's not too bad at the moment, so I'm holding out for a while, monitoring this thread, and seeing if there's a better option than a dealer repaint.

A friend of mine owns a body shop and does award-winning paint jobs, so in a worse case scenario, I'll have him repaint it and just pay for it. I'd rather pay the money and have it done right than get it done for free and it be full of orange peel.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
...sigh...

Add me to the list. 2k miles and my grill is yellowing also. It's not too bad at the moment, so I'm holding out for a while, monitoring this thread, and seeing if there's a better option than a dealer repaint.

A friend of mine owns a body shop and does award-winning paint jobs, so in a worse case scenario, I'll have him repaint it and just pay for it. I'd rather pay the money and have it done right than get it done for free and it be full of orange peel.
I hear you in regard to wanting it painted properly and with a great result. ... Problem is, even if done by the best, a grill painted at a local body shop will be really prone to chipping thanks to the JL's vertical grill.

Factory bright white grill will hold up fair far better then a grill painted at Joe's Auto Body Shop.

I'm on my 2nd bright white factory grill and replacement white rt. molding. I'm confident that they will turn yellow also.. It is just a matter of time and temperature, lets say.

Lithograph

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Vehicle Showcase
I hear you in regard to wanting it painted properly and with a great result. ... Problem is, even if done by the best, a grill painted at a local body shop will be really prone to chipping thanks to the JL's vertical grill.

Factory bright white grill will hold up fair far better then a grill painted at Joe's Auto Body Shop..
Noted. I'll still ask my local shop about it, as those guys are amazingly good. They're actually a full-on collision center and they do amazing work. The back 1/4 of their facility is for painting only. I'm not even joking about the "award-winning" part. Best part is, if they're unable to give me a paint job that will be as good and durable as factory (and obviously, they may not), then they'll tell me.

Side note: I had to get the entire hood painted on my old 2005 Rubicon (don't ask), and they took it on. Sanded it all the way down, put on the slickest paint job I'd seen (black color), and put on new Rubicon stickers. What's funny is that the main guy (the one I know) said their paint job was better than Jeep's, so he ended up having to "dry spray" the hood a little to actually ADD orange peel to it so it would match the rest of the Jeep. I don't know what they did, but that thing looked awesome, and matched the rest of the vehicle perfectly.
Sponsored