Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ-7, 2018 JLUR
Occupation
CPA
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah but it shouldn't matter what color the plastic is. As long as the surface is prepared properly and sufficient primer is applied with multiple top coats, the color of the plastic shouldn't matter.
Sponsored

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
The plastic is not painted, it's molded in the body color of the Jeep. That's why painting is not preferred as a fix.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
The plastic is not painted, it's molded in the body color of the Jeep. That's why painting is not preferred as a fix.
Not understanding. If it’s molded in body color why would it show yellow when scratched? Is the color only molded into the outer surface like gel coating?

Dewey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUS
Are you positive on this?
I know one thing for sure. Don't let that tire dressing crap get on your painted fenders. I've seen them permanently stained and required completely sanding the stain out then re-paint.

Tampasport

First Name
Judy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler jl sport bright white
Mine is yellowing as well. Jeep cares states the official fix is painting. I'm assuming I should wait for a better fix? It's not hella yella yet, so I feel like I can wait.

Sponsored

Dodgeman70592

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2011 Challenger SRT IE #94, 2023 392XR
Mine isn't here yet, it's still in transit from the factory, but this is all quite disturbing. I can concede to some new technology acting funny on a brand new platform, that's almost a given. But, white plastic grilles turning yellow is something I wouldn't expect from Jeep considering they have had plastic colored grills for over a decade.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Yep , but the older ones are not made with yellow color in the white plastic .
Ya know, when you post such crapola you really do confuse the issue. Some forum member's come here for insight and ways to deal with problems. Your nonsensical comments can really confuse them.......... Go post your bullchitt at a JK forum. :angry:

Mkh24

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara loaded Bright White
Vehicle Showcase
Add me to list too got my Jeep in May. Appointment with the dealer next week.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
I presume you are writing that no matter the actual color of the plastic , it can be completely changed by primer and top coats .

Of course it matters . If you have a yellowish plastic , it will always be a yellowish plastic . If vanilla ice cream is yellowish because of eggs or something , it will always be yellowish .

Maybe fca will hire a non-color-blind chemist , and they will make a genuinely white grill to swap out for you .
It's a black plastic grill some some kind of white finish sprayed on. There is some question about the chemical composition of the white finish.

Last edited:

MrFritz

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Sahara
Hey guys! I also got the custom yellow grille but with an added bonus of zebra stripes in my fenders. Whatever this black crap is its inside the paint. Does not matter what compund you try to use Its inside the paint. Very annoying. Dealer is going to repaing next week. Im gonna call fca and make them pay for their sins in hopes of $$$ or somthing.

7B4CE508-F70A-4394-90A4-373B025D5A4E.jpeg

EF683006-BBC7-4E3C-8C01-F3DDE3B87388.jpeg

Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Hey guys! I also got the custom yellow grille but with an added bonus of zebra stripes in my fenders. Whatever this black crap is its inside the paint. Does not matter what compund you try to use Its inside the paint. Very annoying. Dealer is going to repaing next week. Im gonna call fca and make them pay for their sins in hopes of $$$ or somthing.

7B4CE508-F70A-4394-90A4-373B025D5A4E.jpeg
Looks blue .

MrFritz

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Sahara
Anyone know if sahara fenders painted or are they the same gel material as the grille?

1idrod

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ritterhomesinc.com
Vehicle(s)
06 GMC 3/4 Diesel, 02 V-Rod
Occupation
Builder
@MrFritz. That makes sense. Seems to be the location where we all start getting the yellowing. Ugh. I wonder if some sort of insulation could be stuffed back there and prevent it.

MrFritz

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Sahara
@MrFritz. That makes sense. Seems to be the location where we all start getting the yellowing. Ugh. I wonder if some sort of insulation could be stuffed back there and prevent it.
I wonder if anyone has had it painted and it stayed white?
Sponsored