Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone have problems with Breaks? I've had my JL 2018 since October of 2018. Have about 12,000 miles on it, but no other problems. The breaks were squeaking, took it to dealer, told it may need new pads & rotors at about $1300. Warranty does not cover. Asked if this is normal, dealer said well it doesn't seem normal for all 4 to go out at once, but warranty will not cover. Jeep Cares said the warranty on Brakes is about 1 year. They could not give me an answer on if this is normal, and basically told me that you are on your own. They were no help. Any ideas?
Sponsored

Shepherd12

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR HellaYella m/t
Occupation
Something about cryogenics
Can you post some pics of your rotors and pads?

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Anyone have problems with Breaks? I've had my JL 2018 since October of 2018. Have about 12,000 miles on it, but no other problems. The breaks were squeaking, took it to dealer, told it may need new pads & rotors at about $1300. Warranty does not cover. Asked if this is normal, dealer said well it doesn't seem normal for all 4 to go out at once, but warranty will not cover. Jeep Cares said the warranty on Brakes is about 1 year. They could not give me an answer on if this is normal, and basically told me that you are on your own. They were no help. Any ideas?
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/squeaky-brakes-even-after-dealer-replacement.42312/
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/anyone%E2%80%99s-brakes-squeaking.36551/

Very normal on the JL, your dealer is likely just trying to swindle you out of some cash.
I would at the very least take it to another dealer and get a second opinion.

The brakes are likely to squeal again even after replacement, same happened to me. Got mine replaced, still squeals like a banshee everyday.

Hardybreed

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I got my JLUR in Oct of 18 also. Mine just started squeaking at slow speeds when braking until they warm up/clean off?. Maybe it's just the winter road salt. Driving me nuts. I am just going to replace this spring with some Power Stop pads and rotors ($350).

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I got my JLUR in Oct of 18 also. Mine just started squeaking at slow speeds when braking until they warm up/clean off?. Maybe it's just the winter road salt. Driving me nuts. I am just going to replace this spring with some Power Stop pads and rotors ($350).
Doesn't work, squeal still there.

@Pruitts
Monitoring the forums thus far I would say that brake pad squealing is a fairly common issue on the JLs.
Mine squealed like a banshee as well, even worse during winter.
Took it to the dealers and told me they were Functioning-as-Designed™
So I took it into my own hands to fix it by replacing them with Power Stop Z36 ceramic pads.
Did not fix the squealing, if not made it worse.
Now I drive around sounding like some cheapo beater car.

P.S. spraying liberal amount of lubricant on the brake pad hardware seem to temporarily squelch the squealing, but you risk over-spraying the rotors. Also it comes back after a car wash or two.

Sponsored

OP
OP
timn1984

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Can you post some pics of your rotors and pads?
I will once I get the wheels off (don't have the time right now). I don't work on my Jeep much.

HamiltonGuy

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLSU
Hey there,
I have 90,000 km on my original brakes. of course due to a lot of Hwy driving, I haven't gone through them yet, but I am thrilled with the brake performance. Incidentally, at every other tire rotation, I service the brakes by cleaning any dirt and sand buildup around the brake pads, and grease the caliper/pad contact points and caliper pins.
They are operating amazingly. I can't imagine you'd need a brake job this early. I wonder if yours need servicing rather replacing.

OP
OP
timn1984

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Hey there,
I have 90,000 km on my original brakes. of course due to a lot of Hwy driving, I haven't gone through them yet, but I am thrilled with the brake performance. Incidentally, at every other tire rotation, I service the brakes by cleaning any dirt and sand buildup around the brake pads, and grease the caliper/pad contact points and caliper pins.
They are operating amazingly. I can't imagine you'd need a brake job this early. I wonder if yours need servicing rather replacing.
Do you service your own? Just wondering how hard it is. I would like to try.

HamiltonGuy

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLSU
Do you service your own? Just wondering how hard it is. I would like to try.
Hey Timn1984,

Yes, I do my own oil change, tire rotation, and service my brakes when needed, usually in the spring time tire rotation.
All three items listed are very easy to do, not to mention it works out cheaper, and you get the satisfaction that comes with working on your own Jeep. It doesn't require too many tools, and is technically easy. I watched a few DIY videos on how to do it, and started looking after my Wrangler JL since May 2018.

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
Mud wheeling is tough on brake components. Have you been playing in the mud?

OP
OP
timn1984

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Mud wheeling is tough on brake components. Have you been playing in the mud?
Unfortunately NO. I wish I had, though, that would have been a great excuse.....
Sponsored