Sponsored

Brand Report Card - Ouch!

Chris2183

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S (Sold) 2021 JLU Willys
You know that Mini is owned by BMW, and the Mini Countryman is basically a reskinned BMW X1, and the MIni is a 2-series. If BMW is first, why wouldn't Mini be third? It is the same vehicle :)
Unfortunately too many people let the poor reputation the second gens got (with the N14 engine) overshadow the brand still.
Sponsored

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
You know that Mini is owned by BMW, and the Mini Countryman is basically a reskinned BMW X1, and the MIni is a 2-series. If BMW is first, why wouldn't Mini be third? It is the same vehicle :)
Again, the feedback from friends/family that own/have owned a Mini. These vehicles are far from trouble free.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
The only objective "Report Card" is the 5 year and 10 year residual value.
This....

Jeeps have some little annoying issues in general that tend to drive some people nuts, like the dual battery system with the aux dying. Then 90% of dealers are so bad and generally don't fix warranty issues in a timely manner or at all.... So very minor things can become a royal nightmare. We also have the solid front axle, high center of gravity, large tires, narrow body, etc... that make the driving experience very unique.... this experience is so different than modern cars that people think their jeeps drive like shit and something is wrong with them.

At the end of the day the residual value tells a story. A lot of demand for used Jeeps. Jeeps with high mileage that are still running. With their little annoying quirks, but still running.

My 2021 Camry has a great residual value as well. But it also has some quirks here and there.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
The thought crossed my mind as I was responding to the thread that @aldo98229 made about trading his current Jeep, and also as I typed my response to this thread. Will the Wrangler become the next Corvette? Meant to be youth oriented, but priced so far out of range that only those who have earned well can afford them. Then it gets the de facto image as a mid life crisis/old folks vehicle. Creature comfots and tech gizmos will take the place of dedicated heavy duty/performance options. Wait, I think the Wrangler has damn near reached that point.
Um, yup, we are there😳. When you combine lockers with leather seats and power everything you are there. As for Consumers reports-Jeeps been at the bottom of their list since at least the 1980’s🙄, I think I’d be worried if we ever got near the top😏.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I dunno....
I've had two BMW'S in my lifetime, the latest being a '22 X5. Two of the most reliable, best driving cars I've owned. And in nearly 50 years of driving, I've owned a few.
That's good to hear. I've always wanted one but friends experiences and residual value have kept me from buying one. They're very stylish, comfortable, and a dream to drive. Maybe it is the used ones that need repairs from simply being high mileage or bad previous ownership paired with difficult and expensive repairs what gives them a bad rep. around here.

Sponsored

Thane

First Name
Thane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURXR, 10 FJ Cruiser
I dunno....
I've had two BMW'S in my lifetime, the latest being a '22 X5. Two of the most reliable, best driving cars I've owned. And in nearly 50 years of driving, I've owned a few.
'22 X5?... most reliable 1 year old car...?

Xorak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hellayella Sport, 2023 Reign Sahara
Based on my experiences with many different vehicle brands, I'd say that list does a pretty good job of ranking service department experiences.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
'22 X5?... most reliable 1 year old car...?
Most people judge reliability by owner experience... of a new vehicle... in fact a lot of these sites also post "most reliable cars" as new models....

I personally don't start talking about reliability until a car is at least 5 years old and 100k miles. that's when a car truly is put to the test beyond this minimal things people complain about. "My battery died at 5k miles" to me is not really a deal breaker.... There are many many reasons something like this could happen and it is relatively minor.

The engine and transmission in most JLs is going to have outstanding performance. I am sure of that. The electronics? I guess we will see lol.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Things are never that simple. You are dealing with different buyers with different expectations, different dealer networks; often different tires, different features and options, and even different assembly plants.
Sponsored