Sponsored

Brand new jeep (300km/186mile) getting a single click/clunk sound when applying throttle at 30-40km

Jeepajeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport '19 2d
Hi guys,

So excited to own a jeep. coming from a F22 BMW. It is a very different and unique experience to own a jeep and cant wait to start taking it off-road.

Anyway so I have less than 186 miles on the car and im started to notice a weird sound coming from what I assume is underneath the car around the rear area? (i could be wrong as the sound varies in degrees of loudness).

The sound happens when I'm driving at around 20-30 km and I apply the throttle semi-aggressively to accelerate. It usually happens when I need to merge quickly, change lanes, exit into a street and need to gain speed.

It is a very strange sound, similar to a clunk or a knock. its always just 1 knock. If I were to guess what it is, it feels like when torque is being sent to the rear wheels something is clicking in the driveshaft or rear differential. The car doesnt jolt or jump and if i have music on, no one could ever know it is happening, very strange.... I also sometimes get the noise when I apply the breaks to stop and the car shifts down the gears.

I can recreate the sound by coasting between 30-40 km/h and applying throttle and letting go... if I go smooth and easy on the throttle, the sound doesnt come up but that means I cant quickly accelerate the car and have to be more "linear" with my speed application if that makes any sense, any sudden speed change and boom the single click sound...

I am very disappointed that this is happening to my car especially since it is a brand new car.

Is this normal? what is this sound and should I be worried?

I am based in Dubai so I guess Jeep Cares cant help me :(
Sponsored

Boogerburns

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
I would suspect that this is more suspension related than driveline related, since it only happens 1 time as you describe. If it were driveline related, it would happen all of the time there was load put on the rear.

Have you tried putting the transfer case in 4H (Four wheel drive high) and seeing if you can replicate the noise? If the noise is the same as in 2H (Two wheel drive high) then I would focus more on suspension. If the noise is lessened, it might be driveline related. Whichever the case, it sounds like you might have to take it back and have the technicians look at it to be safe.

Hi guys,

So excited to own a jeep. coming from a F22 BMW. It is a very different and unique experience to own a jeep and cant wait to start taking it off-road.

Anyway so I have less than 186 miles on the car and im started to notice a weird sound coming from what I assume is underneath the car around the rear area? (i could be wrong as the sound varies in degrees of loudness).

The sound happens when I'm driving at around 20-30 km and I apply the throttle semi-aggressively to accelerate. It usually happens when I need to merge quickly, change lanes, exit into a street and need to gain speed.

It is a very strange sound, similar to a clunk or a knock. its always just 1 knock. If I were to guess what it is, it feels like when torque is being sent to the rear wheels something is clicking in the driveshaft or rear differential. The car doesnt jolt or jump and if i have music on, no one could ever know it is happening, very strange.... I also sometimes get the noise when I apply the breaks to stop and the car shifts down the gears.

I can recreate the sound by coasting between 30-40 km/h and applying throttle and letting go... if I go smooth and easy on the throttle, the sound doesnt come up but that means I cant quickly accelerate the car and have to be more "linear" with my speed application if that makes any sense, any sudden speed change and boom the single click sound...

I am very disappointed that this is happening to my car especially since it is a brand new car.

Is this normal? what is this sound and should I be worried?

I am based in Dubai so I guess Jeep Cares cant help me :(

OP
OP
Jeepajeep

Jeepajeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport '19 2d
Thanks for replying!

I'm just wondering, how can it be suspension related if it happens whenever I apply throttle even if the car didnt move. The scenario that I do is the following:

Coast at 30/40km/h around 3rd/4th gear, start applying throttle (lifting the RPM) and letting go quickly, the car doesnt move as the torque didnt have time to make it through to the rear wheels yet if that makes any sense.

I tried it in 4H auto and 4H Part-time and I could still hear the noise a little

Boogerburns

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
That might have something to do with the transmission and/or transfer case then. I'm not familiar with the automatics, as I have a manual, but usually the driveline computer does respond to throttle inputs even if the engine rpms dont move to try to prepare for the anticipated torque delivery. Maybe someone else can chime in that has more experience with Autos.

Thanks for replying!

I'm just wondering, how can it be suspension related if it happens whenever I apply throttle even if the car didnt move. The scenario that I do is the following:

Coast at 30/40km/h around 3rd/4th gear, start applying throttle (lifting the RPM) and letting go quickly, the car doesnt move as the torque didnt have time to make it through to the rear wheels yet if that makes any sense.

I tried it in 4H auto and 4H Part-time and I could still hear the noise a little

clayps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Jeep Wrangler Sport
It almost sounds like drivetrain slack. My JK kind of makes a thud when I'm cruising along the highway and gently hit the pedal and let off before I see any change in speed. I just assuming it's the drive shaft and differential and such all catching up to each other.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeepajeep

Jeepajeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport '19 2d
It almost sounds like drivetrain slack. My JK kind of makes a thud when I'm cruising along the highway and gently hit the pedal and let off before I see any change in speed. I just assuming it's the drive shaft and differential and such all catching up to each other.
is it normal or anything to worry about?

offset_98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1993 Nissan 300ZX, 2015 Subaru Outback, 2011 Toyota Sienna
While I have a manual, I can force my Sienna into making a thud in rolling semi-aggressive throttle inputs. I chalk it up to a little drivetrain slack and I know that it will only do it if I drive it more aggressively. Been that way for as long as I can remember and it’s barreling toward 200k. Being that yours is a different brand and new, still under warranty, I’d say take it in if you’re worried.

TravisRogers

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
is it normal or anything to worry about?
Sounds like driveline slop (or slack) you me, too. While it’s annoying, it’s usually not anything to worry about.

One thing you’ll learn about the Wrangler is that you need to lower certain standards. I’ve been to the dealership countless times for squealing, clicking, knocking, grinding, clunking — all which were (mind-blowingly) considered “normal.” If you’ve ever bought a new car by literally any other manufacturer, this is going to take some getting used to.

OP
OP
Jeepajeep

Jeepajeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport '19 2d
I took it in to the dealer, they said its differential 'slack' if thats a correct way to explain it and said they retightened everything in the back.

Drove it off the dealership and the sound is still there.

I've learned to deal with it by adjusting my driving style slightly, no aggressive throttle application at lower speeds (30/40km) but I kind of feel the car shouldnt be doing this...

I dont remember where but I saw on the forum that the issue could be coming from the front control arms? basically as torque is applied through the drivetrain, the control arms have a little play and make a clunk sound. Is this possible?

The dealer is not being very helpful with me and says the issue is 'fixed' and im unsure if this is normal or not....

X99104

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR, 88 YJ, 78 CJ-7 304
I know this sounds obvious but we all have had one of those days, Check your vehicle for anything that may be rolling around. Check that the jack under the rear cover is tight. I have found that sounds in that rear cavity are amplified while sitting in the drivers seat on my 4 dr so I can imagine it would be worse in a 2dr.

Under throttle apply the brakes loading down the engine and suddenly let off the brakes. If you hear the noise the trouble isn't in the driveline. If not, it is somewhere in the driveline. The logic is that while you are accelerating the driveline is held taut, applying the brakes unloads everything else as the tires are trying to slow the vehicle, the sudden release of the brakes reloads everything while the driveline is still being held tight by the engine. You will find that you will have a bit more play in the Jeep diff than the one that was in your BMW.
Sponsored