brand new 3.6 overheated with 319 miles on odo

Village Idiot

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
3 days after buying our new JLUR, my wife was taking kids to school. 44° outside. Fan went into ludicrous mode. Towed 65 miles to dealer. Temp maxed on her and she pulled over immediately. Shop said it was a bad thermostat. It never boiled over with my wife, but they got it to in testing. Smells like coolant after we got it back. How much damage was done to the engine? I was going to mod it the thing, but I have no confidence now.

E16184D3-5A48-4500-9231-8DEFB6D941B6.jpeg
Sponsored

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Coolant will inevitably spill when removing hoses to change thermostat. The smell eventually goes away. Your Jeep should be fine.

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
there would be no damage unless you had no coolant and sounds like you did and it didn't boil over I wouldn't worry about it

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Replace thermostat, move on. Not a big deal.

BLACKMOAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black JLU MOAB, 2021 Black Lexus GX 460
I would take it to a do it yourself car wash (the kind that used to be a quarter for 5 minutes) and spray the engine and the undercarriage off with soap and then rinse with water. Then you’ll know that what they spilled and didn’t clean up is all gone and you’ll have a new clean start. I wouldn’t worry about it overheating as the coolant protects the engine from being damaged.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Village Idiot

Village Idiot

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Thanks. The engine seems to run great. Appreciate the comments.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I agree with all of the above. I’ll illustrate why you should be fine with a story:

Driving my old YJ up a minor hill at about 35 mph and the fan clutch on my 4.0L sraight six decides to take a shit. That throws the fan out of whack; I didn’t have a fan shroud and even if I did, I doubt it would have helped me. Fan tears apart the radiator and drops coolant EVERYWHERE. Steam all over the place, temp spikes. Of course, I’m immediately pulling over and shutting off the engine as fast as humanly possible.

Ended up just having to replace the radiator and fan clutch (fan itself was fine). Despite losing half my coolant before I got a chance to stop (or so it seemed), there was still enough in there and I reacted fast enough to not cause any damage.

Given that you didn’t even lose coolant I’d say you’re gonna be fine :like:

Just keep an eye on the coolant level!