First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys EcoDiesel
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Yes, all Rubicon's have the "big" brakes, as well as the Sahara's. Not sure, but I think the Willy's might have the big brakes too.
Can confirm, Willys have "Antiā€“Lock 4ā€“Wheel Disc Heavyā€“Duty Brakes" as part of the Willys Package. They work great for me, especially with the diesel.

Harrybeerbelly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tackhawk
Weird but just looking at the brake rotors, the rears appear to be bigger than the fronts. I could measure them but it looks obvious the rears are larger.

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
Thanks for the feedback on the Powerstop rotors and pads. Can you elaborate some on the improvement?

What I'm looking for specifically is:
Initial bite - is it stronger than stock?
Is there more pedal pressure than stock?
Does there seem to be more clamping pressure with the new pads and rotors?
I'm not too concerned with how much brake dust they emit, but are they quiet?

Thank you
Initial bite is better, thatā€™s likely due to the better pad composition. Pedal pressure is the same for me, firm yet progressive response. I havenā€™t noticed too much brake dust, but the Jeep isnā€™t my daily anymore. There isnā€™t any noise. Biggest suggestion I can make to anyone doing any brake changes, you HAVE to bed in the brakes properly. Each manufacturer has their specific procedures, follow those procedures as close as you can.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Initial bite is better, thatā€™s likely due to the better pad composition. Pedal pressure is the same for me, firm yet progressive response. I havenā€™t noticed too much brake dust, but the Jeep isnā€™t my daily anymore. There isnā€™t any noise. Biggest suggestion I can make to anyone doing any brake changes, you HAVE to bed in the brakes properly. Each manufacturer has their specific procedures, follow those procedures as close as you can.
Thank you, that's great feedback.

I also completely agree on bedding the brakes in, very important!

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Thank you, that's great feedback.

I also completely agree on bedding the brakes in, very important!
Guy, I wouldn't worry about getting new rotors, but those Z36 pads for sure! Unless your rotors were heat warped, deeply scored (below the minimum thickness spec), or otherwise damaged they won't make a significant difference.

I'd just do a good rotor scrub (4-5 50-10mph hard braking w/out stopping) before changing out the new pads, then do a good bed-in of the new Z36 pads. If there's some pedal vibration after the rotor scrub then you may want to machine them, but should be good otherwise.
You can also scrub rotors w/ a 3m scrub pad if you have pretty noticeable brake pad deposits.

The money you save on those rotors will buy plenty of brew :)
Sponsored