David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '96 Mustang Cobra, '18 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Digital Marketing
Hey guys!

My wife has a 2019 JLU sport. We bought the Jeep and the brakes squealed under light "normal" braking. Hard braking, no problem.

We had OEM pads put on since it had 30k miles. They said the pads looked good when they pulled them off. Resurfaced rotors and within a week, it was back to squealing again.

It seems to me that it happens more now that it's cold.

Are Jeep OEM pads just a harder compound or something?

I've had a couple of track cars and the track pads make a similar squeal...just wondering! First time Jeeper (and loving it!) TIA
Sponsored

Dp227

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR 6MT
I donā€™t know if itā€™s the same issue, but my 2021 makes brake noise under the same circumstances.

for me, itā€™s glazing - a few good 60-10 slow downs will clear it up.

OP
OP
dappstate

dappstate

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '96 Mustang Cobra, '18 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Digital Marketing
I donā€™t know if itā€™s the same issue, but my 2021 makes brake noise under the same circumstances.

for me, itā€™s glazing - a few good 60-10 slow downs will clear it up.
Basically re-bed the pads. I will try that...I bed the pads in when I got it. Shops don't do that...SMH

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Is it only squealing at the beginning of a ride before they warm up, or all the time? My stock JLUR brakes developed a squeal that went away after a couple miles. It got more noticeable and lasted longer into a ride when it got colder. They didn't have a lot of wear after about 30k miles, when I replaced them with a set of PowerStop Z36 pads and drilled and slotted rotors. The Jeep is nearing 60k now, and they are still quiet. Stopping power was also noticeably increased.

Chris P

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Sahara JL,ā€™19 BMW,ā€™14 Lexus GX460, ā€˜00 BMW Z3
Same issue here on a '18 JLU Sahara. Squeal started at about 20k miles, now more regular in winter and at 25k miles, mostly when brakes are cold. Drives the wife batty when I'm pulling out of driveway. Pads have a lot of meat on them, but thinking about swapping out for the PowerStop Z16's. That took care of a similar squeal on last BMW.

Sponsored

NJJeep Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hella Yella JLU
My wife's Grand Cherokee squeals after start up in the morning, but runs quietly all day. Sometimes brakes are just a bit noisy. Can also double check that your slider pins are greased and the pad backs have quiet lube too.

spitzer1113

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, 2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
My 2018 has had the brake noise under slow/light braking since the day I bought it new. I finally changed the pads with Power Stop z36 pads and the noise is completely gone.
Sponsored