Brake regulator Vs lockers

Nomars

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2004 TJ
Was curious as to any ideas why such a device is not already out? Would seam like a good alternative to lockers and a-lot more inexpensive as well as less risk to breaking axles, for less extreme off roading like snow trails and rutted areas etc.

Any one know of the impracticalities of such a device?
Seams to me that a design would not be that hard maybe?

It would be nice to install a regulator that allows you to apply breaks to any one tire independently and one at a time, say for a rear passenger tire spinning u would apply 10%-95% breaks to it, that would overrides the differential and allow 50% torque to tire with traction.
it could or would be integrated to JL screen or a programer. And would be cross platform all the way back to my old TJ.
I can see them selling this for an easy $1700 as the other option would be upgrading my dana 35 and 30 that would run way above $5000. So a break type regulator at $2k even $3k would be Awesome. Am i dreaming here any thoughts?

P.s im talking full selectable range of breaking to any one or two tires at a time. Not the gimmicky traction control,
That can just spin tires all day long.
Thanks for any replies.
Sponsored

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
Loss of power not good in many situations, locket provides power.

The automatic system already does the brake locking, so no real gain of new feature.

OP
OP
Nomars

Nomars

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2004 TJ
You only loose power because its an automated system with no control! Ie “traction control”.
Im talking about a full selectable, full control system that can apply breaks to a tire that is up in the air do to a rutt, A system that would allow me to use touch screen, not brake peddle and send 100% braking power only to tire thats up in the air, allowing for all other tires to move me over the rutt, once over the rutt you then unload break regulator, and go on your merry way.

OP
OP
Nomars

Nomars

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2004 TJ
Also the automatic system will spin tires all day long, which means it does not work and is more on gimmicky side because if tire is spinning that means it only applies about 15% braking to it and not the full 100 Braking.

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
Toyota rolled out a system called ATRAC in the fj’s years ago. It worked well for the ifs front end when coupled with the locking rear diff. It was more of a traction aid for slippery surfaces more than to be used for highly technical situations that would result in lifting a tire. It was a rather violent system when engaged. The abs was brutal and sounded like you were about to explode the front corners of the vehicle. It was too sketch for extremely technical applications.

On a Jeep with a solid front axle, you have a lot more articulation than a ifs front end so the electronic device isn’t really needed under normal operating conditions.

If you are to the point where you are lifting tires, the last thing you want to do is start playing with a touch screen while driving and take your attention away from the real task at hand. That being said, if you have the attention span to actually pull the stunt off, you would also probably be able to reason that the last thing you would want to do is solve the problem with an unpredictable electronic remedy that can induce terrible handling issues. Last thing I would want is to come down on the tire still locked up and deal with the issues it could cause on the technical terrain you are on. Upsetting balance, loss of traction, instant traction on one wheel only, etc...

Lockers are very predictable. Looking to reinvent the wheel with more electronics is the wrong approach to wheeling.

Sponsored

Crawdad1028

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 6 speed with rubi axles, lockers, RCVs, trusses, and 5.13s
Vehicle Showcase
I thought the taser allowed you to do this with steering wheel controls. Is that not the case?

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Maybe I’m not fully understanding what you are describing. If one rear tire has full traction and the other has 0 traction (up in the air as you described), how is applying the brake to the spinning wheel to it going to help anything? It’ll stop spinning, but applying a brake to one wheel won’t give the other wheels greater traction, it’ll just stop that particular slipping wheel from spinning.

When you describe a function “that would override the differential and allow 50% torque to tire with traction”, those systems already exist. They are called a limited slip differentials and locking differentials.

Both LSD and lockers are already available in various Jeep models.

OP
OP
Nomars

Nomars

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2004 TJ
Makes sense, hand brakes to each wheel would be same idea, but if your saying that didnt work, then i guess we havent come up with a lockers alternative yet so ill keep an open mind.

jawest12

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeepinwv.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
The brake lock differential feature does work pretty well actually. I have not had lockers in any of my JKs or JL. And there have been many wheeling instances where the BLD has helped. It is, of course, not a replacement for lockers in any way. But it does work.

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
The brake lock differential feature does work pretty well actually. I have not had lockers in any of my JKs or JL. And there have been many wheeling instances where the BLD has helped. It is, of course, not a replacement for lockers in any way. But it does work.
I'm wondering if the OP even knows their Jeep comes standard with this?

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I'm wondering if the OP even knows their Jeep comes standard with this?
Considering that he talked about it, I’ll go with yes. He just doesn’t trust it’s effectiveness.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Maybe I’m not fully understanding what you are describing. If one rear tire has full traction and the other has 0 traction (up in the air as you described), how is applying the brake to the spinning wheel to it going to help anything? It’ll stop spinning, but applying a brake to one wheel won’t give the other wheels greater traction, it’ll just stop that particular slipping wheel from spinning.
Huh? Torque travels to the wheel with least resistance on an open diff.. By applying brake to the spinning wheel, you redirect torque to the other wheel (on the ground). And hopefully has more traction than the lifted wheel in the air....:headbang:

brianP

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
BLD works fine in most cases you just need to help it along sometimes, case in point while wheeling my wifes JLU sport at Rausch Creek, she found herself articulated in a ravine and she was floating a rear and front tire, obviously those were the ones that were spinning and the ones on the ground had no power going to them, I had her lightly tap the brake while the floating wheels were spinning and it transferred the power to the ones on the ground with traction and she climbed right out of it, in our case the traction control was disabled in 4 low so the automated nanny stuff didnt kick in and we had to help it, but it definitely works, is it a replacement for lockers no but it works at least in the cases we have needed it.
Sponsored