Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
So I've had this brake light that came with my rear bumper some months back and I'd like to hook this thing up. I'm kinda tired of it just filling up space. I really don't want to to thru the stock 3rd brake light harness in the tailgate since I can easily route it to the passenger-side light housing. Anyone know which color wire within the housing is for the brake light? The wiring diagrams don't show this.

Jeep_046.jpg
Sponsored

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
The electrical wiring specs are all listed in the Resources section, specifically this page. You're probably looking at the "Lamp Assembly Tail-Right Connector..." page for how to cut into that. However, if you want the light to come on only with the brake, you'll need to find the wire specifically for the CHMSL. Try the White/Dark-Green wire that goes to the tailgate in this diagram (far right).

OP
OP
melendez69

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
The electrical wiring specs are all listed in the Resources section, specifically this page. You're probably looking at the "Lamp Assembly Tail-Right Connector..." page for how to cut into that. However, if you want the light to come on only with the brake, you'll need to find the wire specifically for the CHMSL. Try the White/Dark-Green wire that goes to the tailgate in this diagram (far right).
The wiring diagram was what I initially looked thru. Tapping into the CHMSL is what I'm trying to avoid... going thru the tailgate is pain. Thank you for the lamp assembly diagram... that's exactly what I needed.

Edited: I see what pin 1, circuit 54 does now... tapping into that would keep the light on with the tail lights. If I want brake light only, I'd have to tap into the CHMSL.

Last edited:

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
You wouldn't have to open the tailgate to do that, but you would have to open the inside-right corner over the rear wheel well, and that's just as much a pain as the tailgate. I opened mine up to run a wire to a real CHMSL above the glass on my hard top. There are 2 similar colored wires in that bundle though, so pay close attention to them.

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
So I've had this brake light that came with my rear bumper some months back and I'd like to hook this thing up. I'm kinda tired of it just filling up space. I really don't want to to thru the stock 3rd brake light harness in the tailgate since I can easily route it to the passenger-side light housing. Anyone know which color wire within the housing is for the brake light? The wiring diagrams don't show this.

Jeep_046.jpg
Are you sure that’s a brake light and not a back-up light? Not trying to second guess you, but looking at that I’d assume it’s meant to illuminate when you reverse. Seems too low to be intended as a center brake light.

Sponsored

OP
OP
melendez69

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
You wouldn't have to open the tailgate to do that, but you would have to open the inside-right corner over the rear wheel well, and that's just as much a pain as the tailgate. I opened mine up to run a wire to a real CHMSL above the glass on my hard top. There are 2 similar colored wires in that bundle though, so pay close attention to them.
I got my work cut out for me. Many thanks for the assist here.

thank_you_08.gif

OP
OP
melendez69

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Are you sure that’s a brake light and not a back-up light? Not trying to second guess you, but looking at that I’d assume it’s meant to illuminate when you reverse. Seems too low to be intended as a center brake light.
It's definitely a brake light... came with the bumper complete with instructions to install. Yes, I'd agree it's too low for a brake light... eye-level for them fast & furious stanced Mazdas. I don't need it... I'm only trying to use it since it's bugging me. I don't like the empty space when I remove it.
Sponsored