First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
My '21 JLU is in the shop getting a set of 4.56 gears. I got a call from the guy telling me my rear brakes are shot. I hadn't even really paid attention to the condition of my brakes yet, as the Jeep only has 12,000 miles on the clock. The factory brakes on my Ford truck lasted 100,000 miles.

I realize the set of 315/70R17s I have on there will eat brakes faster, but this fast?

I guess it's possible. I go wheeling through mud puddles in an area where the soil is very sandy. Sandy soil on the rotors could be eating the pads faster than normal. The heavy wheels and tires will eat the pads faster than normal. But this fast?

I have the "HD brakes," which seems to be the most heavy duty brake option the factory offers. I figured they would be fine on the 35s for at least a couple three years. At this rate, I'll be doing two sets a year. Wow!

So are there any third-party options that would do better? (I'm limited to 17" wheels, because I have way too much invested in wheels and tires) Is it a question that the factory HD brakes aren't heavy duty enough to cope with the unsprung mass of the heavy tires, or is it a question that wheeling in sandy mud water just carries a penalty? Maybe it's just because I go off a steep mountain just about every weekend? (I've certainly taken the Jeep up in the mountains more in 21,000 miles than I took the truck in 100,000.)

I do know it's not my driving style in general. I tend to be braking a mile before other people see that something is going on ahead. I brake at stop lights smoothly. My wife used to drive me nuts flying at stopped traffic at 70 mph until the last second, and then barely stopping in time. Driving like that is what I would expect to kill the brakes.
Sponsored

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
My JK would eat through rear brakes about every 15,000 for some reason. I got so familiar with changing them I could get both sides done in 30 minutes.

‘My JL on 33’s has 42,000 mi on it, and when I had everything apart last week there was still 50% on all 4 corners.

‘I’m still going to upgrade to EBC pads soon. My JL brakes nothing like my wife’s JT.

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
odd, i have 56k on mine w the trailer package on a sport. id say im on the more aggressive side braking wise, ill definitely take a look at them in the next couple weeks when i do my next tire rotation.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
They’re under warranty for 12k. But I’d say there’s something wrong with the calipers or you’re getting up sold.

This is from the Jeep site when I googled brake warranty.

2A1612B6-D898-4876-ABF5-E5A42E3DE53B.jpeg

OP
OP
omnitonic

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
truck driver
They’re under warranty for 12k. But I’d say there’s something wrong with the calipers or you’re getting up sold.
I pondered on all that at work tonight. New brakes at 12,000 miles is so off the wall, it would be a really crappy up-sell tactic. It's probably the calipers, or the sandy water. It's pretty typical for me to roll through one of the many water holes on the trail, and hear a shick shick shick sound from the brakes. Maybe that's when I'm wearing them down.

If I had realized I was looking at a problem, I probably could have gotten new pads and rotors, but I ticked over 12,000 without detecting this issue. I'm screwed.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Michael are you a DIY guy? If so I'd have them install the gears and leave the brakes alone, then you can have a good look at them and decide if you want/need new rotors & pads when you get it home.

It's surely possible running in that sand on a regular basis that that may have worn the pads/rotors. Chances are your rotors may need to be turned and new pads. If so might look into the new Hawk pads, should be a good step up from stock, and like mentioned, if EBC has pads for the JL that would be a good choice too. Powerstop Z36 sets get ok reviews, I doubt they're on par w/ EBC or Hawk but should also provide a better overall braking performance over stock.

OP
OP
omnitonic

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
truck driver
Michael are you a DIY guy? If so I'd have them install the gears and leave the brakes alone, then you can have a good look at them and decide if you want/need new rotors & pads when you get it home.
I am, but in this case I did tell him to go ahead. It was a snap decision. I didn't really start adding things up until after I'd already authorized the work. He will probably be thoughtful enough to take pictures and save the parts, even though I didn't ask.

It's surely possible running in that sand on a regular basis that that may have worn the pads/rotors.
He said the pads were shot, but didn't talk about the rotors. After thinking about it, that rules out sand. If I really have been grinding away on my rotors with what amounts to 80 grit sandpaper, this would be really obvious at a casual inspection.
Chances are your rotors may need to be turned and new pads. If so might look into the new Hawk pads, should be a good step up from stock, and like mentioned, if EBC has pads for the JL that would be a good choice too. Powerstop Z36 sets get ok reviews, I doubt they're on par w/ EBC or Hawk but should also provide a better overall braking performance over stock.
I just took a moment to glance around, but it looks like there are about 42,000 options for the JK, but practically nothing for the JL.

I'm just going to have to keep an eye on this, and if the brakes keep going away at such a ridiculous speed, I'll have to start changing things up. I don't even know what kind of pads he intends to use. I was on my way to work when he asked the question, and I didn't think things out.

The Jeep has been in the shop a long time already, and my main focus of thought was getting it back. It's costing me $25 a day to drive my old truck to work.

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I am at 83k at this point on rear brakes and running 37s. My rear still look perfectly fine. Checked them when doing tire rotation last month. I would absolutely ask for old pads back if not too late.

OP
OP
omnitonic

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
truck driver
I am at 83k at this point on rear brakes and running 37s. My rear still look perfectly fine. Checked them when doing tire rotation last month. I would absolutely ask for old pads back if not too late.
That's in line with my expectations. There's going to be more wear, but there is no way a guy who is easy on the brakes could burn up a set of pads in 12,000 miles unless there is a mechanical issue. I don't think sandy water and excessive cycling of traction control could account for this much wear. I'm thinking the calipers are sticking. It could be sand though. Sand would explain why my parking brake is getting weaker every week. It seems the shoes and/or parking drums could be wearing excessively. That, or the adjustment mechanism, if there is one, is not functioning correctly.

As it happens, the shop guy couldn't find parts, so he put it back together as it was. I will tear into it for myself, and figure out what's going on.

I'm going to go pick it up Monday. I've been bitching about the 3.45 gears as long as I've owned this thing, and putting the 35s on turned it into a truly gutless dog. It should be a whole new Jeep with the 4.56 gears!

Sponsored

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Let us know how you like the 4.56 i think i am going to 4.88 with the 37s already at 4.11 . Good luck on finding your brake issue.

OP
OP
omnitonic

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
truck driver
Let us know how you like the 4.56 i think i am going to 4.88 with the 37s already at 4.11 . Good luck on finding your brake issue.
I would probably go with 4.88 on 37s myself. I almost went with 4.88 on 35s, but I think 4.56 will be the sweet spot for me. I don't plan to go bigger on tires.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I had to change out the rear pads at 20,000 miles. If you off road a lot, and do not turn off the traction control, the Jeep will eat up the rear brakes. I have even had the rear brakes get so hot while off roading that the rear brakes started to stick and make the Jeep through codes. Driving across the sand dunes with the traction control on can cause the rear brakes to be activated 1000 of times in a few miles......

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I had to change out the rear pads at 20,000 miles. If you off road a lot, and do not turn off the traction control, the Jeep will eat up the rear brakes. I have even had the rear brakes get so hot while off roading that the rear brakes started to stick and make the Jeep through codes. Driving across the sand dunes with the traction control on can cause the rear brakes to be activated 1000 of times in a few miles......
Good point I have an open diff unless locked.

Bullwinkle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S

It's surely possible running in that sand on a regular basis that that may have worn the pads/rotors. Chances are your rotors may need to be turned and new pads. If so might look into the new Hawk pads, should be a good step up from stock, and like mentioned, if EBC has pads for the JL that would be a good choice too. Powerstop Z36 sets get ok reviews, I doubt they're on par w/ EBC or Hawk but should also provide a better overall braking performance over stock.
Hello, when you mention the Hawk pads, do you mean the "Talon" package, if not, can you elaborate please...I'm at 42k plus, owned my jeep 3 mos, so not sure where I'm at yet baseline wise, with the shocks, brakes etc...stops with a slight pull to the left, wondered if my steering stabilizer needs upgrading, cuz it's balanced and aligned? thanks
Sponsored