Brake caliper bolts missing

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Has anyone ever had their brake caliper bolts fall out? No one has done any brake jobs or anything to my JL Rubicon Jeep where they would have had to take the bolts out. The other day I noticed my wheel on the inside deep cut going around it further looking at it I noticed both bolts to the brake caliber I think that's what it is we're missing. Everyone has told me they don't just fall out I've had no work done on this except an oil change at the dealership about 3 weeks before this. Anyone have any ideas how they could just fall out of their own they're pretty long bolts ? Or should I be thinking someone removed them?

Jeep Wrangler JL Brake caliper bolts missing Screenshot_20220412-222952_Gallery

Jeep Wrangler JL Brake caliper bolts missing Screenshot_20220411-230236_Gallery
Sponsored

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
Have you ticked anyone off recently? ;) That doesn't seem normal at all to me, never heard of that before...

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
Those bolts are torqued down pretty tight (or should be), so they shouldn't just fall out. Plus someone would have to either remove your wheel or have the Jeep up on a lift to get to them. Really strange.

music293

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
Clubs

Very unusual.

Either they were never there, someone removed them without your knowledge, or they weren't torqued and vibrated out. It'd be weird if that happened to both though.

Partswiz

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Rubicon 2 Door
Hello,
Seen this before on many manufactures due to bolt not tightened enough or not enough loctite/missing. Usually 1 vibrates out and causes caliper to clunk on rotation.
Ford F150's had that happen many times :surprised:

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Who installed the lift? Did they remove the caliper for some reason? That would be my suspicion.

OP
OP
Jammer

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
The jeep has 22,000 miles on it. Wheels and tires have not been off except to get rotated a couple weeks prior to finding this. And the oil change was done about the same time a couple weeks prior to finding this. Discount tires not going to take that off it had to be the dealership and they did not take the wheels and tires off they just did the oil change I think somebody at the dealership did it out of spite I really do. Jealous people in the world hate to think that but I think they were loosened maybe at the dealership during the oil change because I have not heard any noise coming from it and I stopped at a friend of mine's shop to see why my tires were wearing bad cuz I rotate them over 4,000. He called underneath it was checking some things like the u-joints and he said and I watched him do it and he said you got a problem you can't leave here your bolts are missing on this brake caliber I think that's what they call it but I will look then I watched them he's good friend of mine so he ordered the volts the next morning for me and put them in but it's been digging in the wheel while he said. He said the same thing they don't just fall out has somebody work on this and I said no nothing's been done recently except an oil change I'm going to lean towards somebody to dealership did it out of jealousy and the dealership is supposed to do a safety check and check like air filters and all the kind of stuff .do they check that I don't know but I'm leaning toward them being loosened from the dealership that worries me. But no I've not ticked anybody off

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The jeep has 22,000 miles on it. Wheels and tires have not been off except to get rotated a couple weeks prior to finding this. And the oil change was done about the same time a couple weeks prior to finding this. Discount tires not going to take that off it had to be the dealership and they did not take the wheels and tires off they just did the oil change I think somebody at the dealership did it out of spite I really do. Jealous people in the world hate to think that but I think they were loosened maybe at the dealership during the oil change because I have not heard any noise coming from it and I stopped at a friend of mine's shop to see why my tires were wearing bad cuz I rotate them over 4,000. He called underneath it was checking some things like the u-joints and he said and I watched him do it and he said you got a problem you can't leave here your bolts are missing on this brake caliber I think that's what they call it but I will look then I watched them he's good friend of mine so he ordered the volts the next morning for me and put them in but it's been digging in the wheel while he said. He said the same thing they don't just fall out has somebody work on this and I said no nothing's been done recently except an oil change I'm going to lean towards somebody to dealership did it out of jealousy and the dealership is supposed to do a safety check and check like air filters and all the kind of stuff .do they check that I don't know but I'm leaning toward them being loosened from the dealership that worries me. But no I've not ticked anybody off
Where there any marks on the wheel that was in that position prior to the tire rotation? If not, I'd head back to the dealership and get the top level manager involved... This could have been a serious problem...

OP
OP
Jammer

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Where there any marks on the wheel that was in that position prior to the tire rotation? If not, I'd head back to the dealership and get the top level manager involved... This could have been a serious problem...
No there were no marks on the wheel that's one of the first things he spotted. then he looked underneath there he said I wonder why there was a mark on the inside of the wheel. I could have died the wheel could have split into and I could have flipped the Jeep. It could have killed me everyone's telling me you could have been killed it's a Jeep flipped because the wheel came apart. I thought about going up there but it's been about probably 2-3 weeks since the oil change that we noticed this they're going to say you would have heard a noise immediately. They will say their employees here would never do something like that. I think they loosten them I really do because that's the only place someone had it on the rack recently. It'd be too easy to do on the rack if not you have to climb underneath and do that. I can go up there but they're just going to play dumb like there's no way that happened here. What can I do there's no damage except the wheel scratched they said the wheels okay at Discount Tire. I'll probably just use it as a spare to be safe. But that really pisses me off to think the wheel could have split it came off and I would have been dead or messed up in a wreck really bad

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jammer

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Not the first time I've seen this exact issue on this forum. Loctite, torque to spec. Check again in 50 miles or so.
Yes my friend that has a shop put lock tight on the new bolts that he ordered. You say you seen this same issue on this forum before? What did somebody say before that there's fell out ? They say they're not torqued from the factory. But I can't believe they just vibrated loose 22,000 miles later and we just now noticed it. When I was getting an oil change that should have been looked at they do a safety check I thought. I'm in one thing anytime I have work done I'm going to have to backtrack and second guess and check for shit like this. Not going to trust too many people when it comes to working on it anymore not even an oil change

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
Yes my friend that has a shop put lock tight on the new bolts that he ordered. You say you seen this same issue on this forum before? What did somebody say before that there's fell out ? They say they're not torqued from the factory. But I can't believe they just vibrated loose 22,000 miles later and we just now noticed it. When I was getting an oil change that should have been looked at they do a safety check I thought. I'm in one thing anytime I have work done I'm going to have to backtrack and second guess and check for shit like this. Not going to trust too many people when it comes to working on it anymore not even an oil change
I don't remember if there was a cause the last time I saw this. I remember checking my brake caliper bolts afterwards and there wasn't anything weird.

I never trust other people to mess up something I'm completely capable of messing up myself. That way I only have myself to blame.

Canucklesammich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
Unfortunately, without any proof, theres nothing you do regarding blame. You can see around the area of the bolt head that there was a bolt installed, so it was there at some time. My completely unauthorized guess--perhaps during the safety check, the mechanic checked the brake pads & simply forgot to tighten the bolts. Absent minded, distracted, hung over- could be several reasons. Here's hoping nothing like this happens again.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No there were no marks on the wheel that's one of the first things he spotted. then he looked underneath there he said I wonder why there was a mark on the inside of the wheel. I could have died the wheel could have split into and I could have flipped the Jeep. It could have killed me everyone's telling me you could have been killed it's a Jeep flipped because the wheel came apart. I thought about going up there but it's been about probably 2-3 weeks since the oil change that we noticed this they're going to say you would have heard a noise immediately. They will say their employees here would never do something like that. I think they loosten them I really do because that's the only place someone had it on the rack recently. It'd be too easy to do on the rack if not you have to climb underneath and do that. I can go up there but they're just going to play dumb like there's no way that happened here. What can I do there's no damage except the wheel scratched they said the wheels okay at Discount Tire. I'll probably just use it as a spare to be safe. But that really pisses me off to think the wheel could have split it came off and I would have been dead or messed up in a wreck really bad
They still need to be made aware of it, that is a MAJOR safety issue at the very least... And since the inside of the wheel is quite smooth, it is highly unlikely that you would've noticed it for quite some time.

OP
OP
Jammer

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Unfortunately, without any proof, there's nothing you do regarding blame. You can see around the area of the bolt head that there was a bolt installed, so it was there at some time. My completely unauthorized guess--perhaps during the safety check, the mechanic checked the brake pads & simply forgot to tighten the bolts. Absent minded, distracted, hung over- could be several reasons. Here's hoping nothing like this happens again.
Do you think at the dealership doing a oil change they do a all safety inspection they always say and they do and would look at the brakes pads that way and un do those bolts ? I thought they could just look from out side the wheel and see the pads a little ? And doesn't it look like a little piece of that it broken off around the edge ? I am going call first and ask on the phone if they check the brakes during a oil change. If yes which I'm sure they do ask how they do it ? They better not say this way or I got them. They even didn't take the time to put windshield fluid in and know that's not a big deal but if they forgot that then they could have forgot these bolts if they take them out. That just shows how forgetful they are or in a hurry. Hell they always try to put 6 qtrs. in and you have to tell it don't take 6
Sponsored