Brainstorming: the ultimate JLUR on 35s

hockeynut258

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
They don’t require a set lift, they require a set bump stop. At 18.22” front compressed, you’ll need 2” bumps. You’ll be right at max extension for the stock DS so you’ll want to watch it if you wheel hard.
Edit, note rereading, the 2” bumps can include however much you get form the factory XR bump extensions.
Thanks GATORB8 for taking time to reply!
I forgot to mention I’m using the 8100 bypass shocks. Technically you could run less than the recommended 3-4.5” lift height but you would riding in the bump zone of the shock. I’ll order an Adams DS once it’s installed and take measurements. Right on the edge for front droop at 29.13” extended.

https://www.bilstein.com/us/en/prod...93108173197786&SubModelId=6853360137265368631

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Thanks GATORB8 for taking time to reply!
I forgot to mention I’m using the 8100 bypass shocks. Technically you could run less than the recommended 3-4.5” lift height but you would riding in the bump zone of the shock. I’ll order an Adams DS once it’s installed and take measurements. Right on the edge for front droop at 29.13” extended.

https://www.bilstein.com/us/en/prod...93108173197786&SubModelId=6853360137265368631
Sweet shocks.

heads up, right after install I was at >4” over a standard Rubi with the MC 3.5s. 24.25” front shock length at ride height on the low (passenger) side.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

I completely understand where you are coming from. I currently overland my wrangler and hit moderate trails. I am running a JKSmfg 2.5” kit with heavy duty spring rate and adjustable lca’s. I am running 35’s with this setup. My suggestion for Money well spent would be a good set of shocks. I went with the falcon 3.3st man I wish I would have done this first. That’s my thoughts. I also went with the hd springs due to having steel front and rear bumpers and the RTT on all the time. Jeep rides really good with everything on it but a bit stiff when I don’t have the tent on.

F781AEB3-A40E-487E-96D4-80A5C4312B54.jpeg

25CA8C1C-DF52-45FC-B709-F229D51DF8E9.jpeg

A3D0931B-A43F-4F88-B4DB-DDF14BDD936E.jpeg

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
I completely understand where you are coming from. I currently overland my wrangler and hit moderate trails. I am running a JKSmfg 2.5” kit with heavy duty spring rate and adjustable lca’s. I am running 35’s with this setup. My suggestion for Money well spent would be a good set of shocks. I went with the falcon 3.3st man I wish I would have done this first. That’s my thoughts. I also went with the hd springs due to having steel front and rear bumpers and the RTT on all the time. Jeep rides really good with everything on it but a bit stiff when I don’t have the tent on.

Jeep Wrangler JL Brainstorming: the ultimate JLUR on 35s A3D0931B-A43F-4F88-B4DB-DDF14BDD936E

Jeep Wrangler JL Brainstorming: the ultimate JLUR on 35s A3D0931B-A43F-4F88-B4DB-DDF14BDD936E

Seems suspicious to me! You claim you always have your RTT but it’s not on in the flexing photos!?!? ;)

Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Seems suspicious to me! You claim you always have your RTT but it’s not on in the flexing photos!?!? ;)
its rare that it is off, guess thats what i should have said LOL. but this was a planned harder trail i had never done so i was nervous about the weight transfer but sadly it would have been fine staying on :(

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
What do you have for tailgate reinforcement and tire relocation if anything? This is the same set up I’m going for and planning to add something.
Appears to be the Teraflex HD Adjustable Spare Tire Carrier (has the third brake light in the center).

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I post because it seems like anyone covering all the bases on a rubicon build goes for 37s just because they can. I cant really find much info on anyone doing a complete build on 35s.
I have wheeled anything I wanted in Colorado, Moab, and Sedona stock with a winch. I bought 35 inch toyo M/T since I do not think I need 37s.
I need help envisioning what I should do.
I want more than a budget boost lift, but i don't need full long arm like the 37s people. I might need gear but want to hear peoples experience (manual transmission). It seems like anyone on 35s just does it cheaply and is done. I want a more complete build on 35s.

Opinions? Experience?

I really liked the Dynatrac Endurosport 2" lift on my 2 door JL. It rhode great, and didn't rub even with the lower fenders on the Sport. It's budget friendly, comes with Fox shocks, and was really easy to install.

If you're wanting the ultimate just shy of long arms, it's been well documented that everyone here seems happy with Metalcloak and Rock Crawler lifts, myself included.

As for the 35's with the 6MT, I ran it just fine with my 3.45 gears on my sport, however I lost 5th and 6th gear. It was just fine as a 4 speed in my opinion. Your rubicon has better gearing, and I'm sure it would be sufficient, but again, if you're going for the ultimate, they wouldn't be perfect.

OP
OP
mayoJames

mayoJames

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
So for the "ultimate" JLUR on 35's below would be the direction I would go:

1. Good 2.5 inch suspension
2. Full aluminum belly armor
3. Onboard air (ARB dual)
4. Front and rear inner fenders
5. Fender liners stripped with brace
6. Warn Zeon 10S winch
7. Good lighting with mix of floods, driving, and rock lights
8. Reid knuckles
9. Yeti drag link and tie rod
10. RCVs
11. Good steel rock rails
12. Aluminum front and rear bumpers (save weight)
13. Yeti sector shaft brace
14. Extended kevlar or braided stainless brake line
15. Synergy e-brake cable relocation bracket
16. Tailgate hinge reinforcement or bumper mounted swing arm
17. Recovery and medical gear on board
18. Good adjustable 2.5 inch shocks (probably Radflo or Fox)
19. Air bumps on front
20. Limiting straps set for 1/4 inch from max shock extension
21. Front and rear trussed axle housing
22. Dual batteries

That to me is pretty close. I did not include new front and rear ends (Dana 60s), new engine, new trans or transfer case, new frame etc because on 35s they are not really critical in my opinion, and once you start replacing big parts like that, to me, it is no longer the original build...it is a new custom vehicle...amazing capability and cool builds, but really no longer a JLUR.
This is my language. I have zeon 10-S with factory steel bumpers. I also have the factory larger alternator option. I regularly spanky m frame on rocks with the stock skids so I will look into that too. I may be able to fabricate that and sliders. Im trying to find the mopar wiring to hook the e-lockers to othe AUX switches so I can use them in 4H and front only. I will probably stick to stock axles, maybe kuckles and joints. I would like gears so I can use sixth. Also looking at lighting options. I have 10yr old PIAAs off a hummer now. Might get like a Rock Krawler lift or an accutune and teraflex arms. Suspension and gears is my soonest play.

Sponsored

OP
OP
mayoJames

mayoJames

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Remember there’s more to lift height than tire clearance. It improves your approach, BO and departure angles.

Also, flex isn’t really related to the ride height, it’s determined by bump stop and shock extension.

Something to watch, some lifts with arms are not clearanced for higher backspacing, so that may influence your decision.
I'm finding I care more about uptravel than having the optimal aesthetic ride height. Part of the reason I made this post is because people with 35s just modify their bumps and call it a day. It kills travel and I wanted to see what others are doing, but every lift is aftertised with 37s.

OP
OP
mayoJames

mayoJames

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I’m putting together a MC 3.5” lift with Bilstein 8100 shocks and 35” tires. The 8100’s require 3-4.5” lift and I want to maximize up travel, limit overall lift height and maintain durability. My new JLUR this will go on will have the factory 4.88 gears.

After seeing some mopar lifts and 35’s that were raised 4-5” over my current stock JLUR, figured the MC 3.5” on 35’s would look similar and those didn’t look awkward.

No hands on experience yet but the parts are in my garage.
Sounds like the exact type of setup im interested in putting together. Thanks for your input.

Themistocles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Ram 2500 Cummins / 20 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
I'm finding I care more about uptravel than having the optimal aesthetic ride height. Part of the reason I made this post is because people with 35s just modify their bumps and call it a day. It kills travel and I wanted to see what others are doing, but every lift is aftertised with 37s.
Up travel was a big deal for me as well...I include quite a bit of discussion of that in my build thread....https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/diesel-build-2020-sting-gray-jlurd.54579/

Av8Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
What do you have for tailgate reinforcement and tire relocation if anything? This is the same set up I’m going for and planning to add something.
Sorry, was out and about... Yes its the Teraflex that @JasonInDLH mentioned. I think it supports up to a 37" tire. No problem with 35's.