DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Check yours and see, then vote! We want to know if there are some out there that do not have the bow. I'll be checking mine momentarily and voting.
Sponsored

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thar she bows! Mine has the bow. It doesn't look too bad. It hasn't contacted the bump stop. I'll put a wheel up on a ramp today and see what happens.
55ylIns.jpg
THKPWRp.jpg

Tintop

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Looks exactly like mine. No contact, and drives fine. If there is an issue here, do you think mopar will replace previously sold versions?

PaulNY

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜24 JLUR 392 Anvil ordered 5-10-23
Looks exactly like mine. No contact, and drives fine. If there is an issue here, do you think mopar will replace previously sold versions?
As an EHS Engineer by trade, I would be remiss if I didn't share my safety concerns here. I am no lift expert, but based on the bow, isn't the spring under constant pressure and that pressure is currently residing on the bow portion? If so, could this provide a potential catastrophic failure if something goes arye at let's say highway speeds? I would think that the constant pressure on the bow portion could cause excessive heat buildup in the steel, and make the spring more pliable and prone to failure at some point. I am not trying to freak anyone out here, and have no idea what would happen if the spring did fail, collapse, or worse even snap under pressure, but am simply concerned for those of you that have this lift and potential adverse affects. I don't know if it's possible, but my professional recommendation would be to have the lift uninstalled and your factory suspension reinstalled until Mopar comes out with a fix, or other vendors have offerings that ultimately will match or supersede the Mopar quality and price. I care about everyone's health and safety, so please know that I am looking at this objectively and hope that I don't upset anyone with my comments. Regardless, I hope Mopar get's off their arse and fixes this quickly. Even the Mopar Mojito accessories Jeep clearly shows the bow, so how in the world did Mopar engineers say "that's ok, no big deal"? Then, as one forum member stated, Mopar mentioned grinding the spring down for a quick fix...SAY WHAT? This response from Mopar does not inspire confidence in this product, much less their ability to provide solutions to issues with their products. Ok, I am off my soap box now :)

TopPinArcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1987 Toyota, 2017 Crosstrek, 2008 Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser
Occupation
Environmental Technician
Maybe this has been asked in one of the other threads regarding bowing.....what do the stock springs look like? I am planning on this lift and my order is in D1 so I have time

Sponsored

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
Readylift bend game strong as well. Look closely at top of spring. Creating a big nice bend.
Letā€™s pray this isnā€™t a JL design problem boys

FB1A9CB0-19BE-4CAB-A9F4-568152081A59.png

PaulNY

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe this has been asked in one of the other threads regarding bowing.....what do the stock springs look like? I am planning on this lift and my order is in D1 so I have time
My stock springs have ZERO bow on my Rubicon.

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
Readylift bend game strong as well. Look closely at top of spring. Creating a big nice bend.
Letā€™s pray this isnā€™t a JL design problem boys

FB1A9CB0-19BE-4CAB-A9F4-568152081A59.png
If anything it is a MOPAR spring design issue.

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
I remember in my structures class, generally speaking fatigue and human safety factors add a 10x cycle and rating.. I would be really surprised if one failed, but I concur that it shows a distortion of load and stress distribution thus the bow...And I agree get mopar to replace them, as quality issue. You could do a brinell hardness test and see some inconsistency in the values, thus heat treat issues or poor material's during forging.

Lots of variables for sure..

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
If anything it is a MOPAR spring design issue.
Possibly but that would mean that readylift made same mistake too...the pic I posted above isnā€™t mopar

Sponsored

wesbowhunts

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Possibly but that would mean that readylift made same mistake too...the pic I posted above isnā€™t mopar
their bump stop lines up though that little bit of bow is acceptable to me. we also dont know how big that lift is, if its even theirs. they say bumpers and.... i see a fender in there.

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
their bump stop lines up though that little bit of bow is acceptable to me. we also dont know how big that lift is, if its even theirs. they say bumpers and.... i see a fender in there.
Itā€™s 2.5, confused on what you are trying to say in your post. The coils are bending pretty hard in picture, similar to mopar is point I was trying to make

MojitoWrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 Z28 R/S
Occupation
Stock Trader
My two cents.... I was driving a car well above highway speed when a faulty Spring broke and let me tell you, you get one split second to not f@ck up and roll it! Iā€™ve also down several frame off restorations and builds and any time a spring had a bend in it was either defective or an issue with the perch. If it was my Jeep Iā€™d personally change out springs back to stock ASAP and wait for FCA to issue a statement and recall. There is a tremendous amount of energy trapped in a bowing spring just waiting to escape! Be safe people!

PaulNY

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My two cents.... I was driving a car well above highway speed when a faulty Spring broke and let me tell you, you get one split second to not f@ck up and roll it! Iā€™ve also down several frame off restorations and builds and any time a spring had a bend in it was either defective or an issue with the perch. If it was my Jeep Iā€™d personally change out springs back to stock ASAP and wait for FCA to issue a statement and recall. There is a tremendous amount of energy trapped in a bowing spring just waiting to escape! Be safe people!
My sentiments exactly, and identical to what I said in a recent post. That energy is being trapped in the bow, and I think it would be catastrophic if it were to break at highway speeds. If it were me, I would take my rig back and have my stock suspension reinstalled to eliminate any chance of failure (and have it done for free as it's clearly a Mopar parts issue). Because this is obviously a design flaw, or parts issue, I would wait until Mopar corrects this or another vendor comes out with a kit. Until then, I would hope dealerships would step up for safety reasons and pursue Mopar for any reimbursement.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My sentiments exactly, and identical to what I said in a recent post. That energy is being trapped in the bow, and I think it would be catastrophic if it were to break at highway speeds. If it were me, I would take my rig back and have my stock suspension reinstalled to eliminate any chance of failure (and have it done for free as it's clearly a Mopar parts issue). Because this is obviously a design flaw, or parts issue, I would wait until Mopar corrects this or another vendor comes out with a kit. Until then, I would hope dealerships would step up for safety reasons and pursue Mopar for any reimbursement.
Guys, I spoke to someone this morning VERY experienced with lifts on Jeeps, especially JK's. He said some bowing is quite normal and is even to be expected in some applications. I'm going to do more research on this, but as for breaking a spring, my nephew, who again has experience engineering racing suspensions, says no way that spring is going to break. He said in his opinion, it looks more than strong enough for this application.

I still want to hear Mopar's take on this, but there may be another point of view on this issue. It's got me wanting to look closely at every lifted Jeep I see now. A new obsession has emerged!
Sponsored