DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I guess you did not buy a 2012 and listen to them proclaim that there was no problem with the heads on the 3.6 and a strong ticking sound was normal. Then when most of them started throwing cylinder misfire CEL codes continue to backed all with PCM flashes that just increases the interval threshold for the code to be thrown until they could come up with a solution. They literally lied to hundreds of owners for months and caused hours and hours of wasted time in service depts when all of their service depts knew exactly what was wrong but instructed to give the company line.
Nope, I didn't. I've had a 93, an 08, and now an 18. All I can tell you is my experience, and it has been fantastic.
Sponsored

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I am glad you're an exception to the case. I have to drive 40 miles outside of my city to a Jeep dealership to get any kind of warranty service because the two dealerships here in town are utterly worthless.
An exception? I'm in a couple Jeep clubs and I've not encountered anyone who feels they've been cheated, lied to, or mistreated. There have been a couple that had issues that were very difficult to diagnose and fix, but ultimately, they were. They had some frustration, but in the end, felt they were treated fairly.

Look, if you are so sure they are going to mishandle this and lie, cheat, etc., then why would you consider buying their vehicle? I sure as heck wouldn't. That said, I'm sure there are people who feel they've been screwed. It is a huge company, and I'm sure that has happened. Again, if that happened to me, the last thing I'd be doing is buying another. I expect one of two things to happen with my lift. A) I drive it for many years without issue, or B) They figure out the problem and ultimately, fix it. I've no reason to think they won't take care of it, if indeed it is a problem. They simply have given me no reason to believe that. They have reached out to me on this spring issue, and while they said some bowing is normal, they laid out a plan for me to get it checked out and have set up the process for taking care of it, if there is indeed a problem. What more can I ask than that?

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
An exception? I'm in a couple Jeep clubs and I've not encountered anyone who feels they've been cheated, lied to, or mistreated. There have been a couple that had issues that were very difficult to diagnose and fix, but ultimately, they were. They had some frustration, but in the end, felt they were treated fairly.
Here in Colorado, you'd be hard pressed to find a Jeep dealership that understands the notion that a vehicle with the word "Rubicon" affixed to the hood might actually traverse something other than pavement. Yeah, I know. Colorado. THE Jeep state. I had to actually argue with a local dealership here a few years back when they wouldn't fix my faulty TOB on my JK because the tiny little scrapes and dents on my skidplate were considered "massive off-road damage." Good Jeep dealerships here exist, but they're few and far between.

Look, if you are so sure they are going to mishandle this and lie, cheat, etc., then why would you consider buying their vehicle? I sure as heck wouldn't.
Because this isn't a Jeep thing. They all do this. Look at Ford with the Focus RS and their laughable head gasket problem. Or Nissan's shitty radiators that used to pump engine coolant into transmissions. Or hell, go back to Chrysler and their stupidly designed shifter that killed poor Chekov. Granted, those are much more serious situations than a goofy spring, but history has shown that any time an auto manufacturer has an opportunity to fix a problem the right way, they usually go and do it the wrong way.

I'm not necessarily saying they're straight up going to lie and cheat, but as a corporation with a bottom line, they're going to minimize the cost to correct this as much as possible and that starts with pointing the finger at the customer.

I'm not sure if you were a JK owner back in the day, but after it had been out for a couple years and a lot of serious issues were becoming well known, Jeep took forever and a day to acknowledge and address them. And while they weren't acting on them, they used every excuse they could to pin problems on the customer. The faulty head issue on the Pentastar is a perfect example. Before they admitted the head was bad, they were blaming customers, stating that "low-quality fuel" was causing the resulting CEL.

That said, I'm sure there are people who feel they've been screwed. It is a huge company, and I'm sure that has happened. Again, if that happened to me, the last thing I'd be doing is buying another.
Of course, but you're at the mercy of the dealership. I had to learn the hard way that the two Jeep dealerships here in town are utterly worthless and take my business up north. One won't honor any kind of warranty work if you so much as have a pebble embedded in your tire and the other couldn't fix a Lego Jeep if they tried. Luckily, the dealership I deal with outside of town is fantastic. It's just unfortunate that I have to drive 40 minutes to get any semblance of service, but I do get it.

I expect one of two things to happen with my lift. A) I drive it for many years without issue, or B) They figure out the problem and ultimately, fix it. I've no reason to think they won't take care of it, if indeed it is a problem. They simply have given me no reason to believe that. They have reached out to me on this spring issue, and while they said some bowing is normal, they laid out a plan for me to get it checked out and have set up the process for taking care of it, if there is indeed a problem. What more can I ask than that?
That's what we all should expect, but I will seriously argue that isn't going to happen for many Jeep owners. I sincerely hope my pessimism is misplaced, but Jeep thinks we're stupid and is already telling people that the bowing on these springs is normal when we know it's not. We'll have to wait and see.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here in Colorado, you'd be hard pressed to find a Jeep dealership that understands the notion that a vehicle with the word "Rubicon" affixed to the hood might actually traverse something other than pavement. Yeah, I know. Colorado. THE Jeep state. I had to actually argue with a local dealership here a few years back when they wouldn't fix my faulty TOB on my JK because the tiny little scrapes and dents on my skidplate were considered "massive off-road damage." Good Jeep dealerships here exist, but they're few and far between.

Because this isn't a Jeep thing. They all do this. Look at Ford with the Focus RS and their laughable head gasket problem. Or Nissan's shitty radiators that used to pump engine coolant into transmissions. Or hell, go back to Chrysler and their stupidly designed shifter that killed poor Chekov. Granted, those are much more serious situations than a goofy spring, but history has shown that any time an auto manufacturer has an opportunity to fix a problem the right way, they usually go and do it the wrong way.

I'm not necessarily saying they're straight up going to lie and cheat, but as a corporation with a bottom line, they're going to minimize the cost to correct this as much as possible and that starts with pointing the finger at the customer.

I'm not sure if you were a JK owner back in the day, but after it had been out for a couple years and a lot of serious issues were becoming well known, Jeep took forever and a day to acknowledge and address them. And while they weren't acting on them, they used every excuse they could to pin problems on the customer. The faulty head issue on the Pentastar is a perfect example. Before they admitted the head was bad, they were blaming customers, stating that "low-quality fuel" was causing the resulting CEL.

Of course, but you're at the mercy of the dealership. I had to learn the hard way that the two Jeep dealerships here in town are utterly worthless and take my business up north. One won't honor any kind of warranty work if you so much as have a pebble embedded in your tire and the other couldn't fix a Lego Jeep if they tried. Luckily, the dealership I deal with outside of town is fantastic. It's just unfortunate that I have to drive 40 minutes to get any semblance of service, but I do get it.

That's what we all should expect, but I will seriously argue that isn't going to happen for many Jeep owners. I sincerely hope my pessimism is misplaced, but Jeep thinks we're stupid and is already telling people that the bowing on these springs is normal when we know it's not. We'll have to wait and see.
Well, there's always tomorrow, but again, I've owned Wranglers for more than 25 years, including a very early (Sept/Oct of 07) JK, and they've taken care of everything on it in a first class way. That includes putting an entirely new transmission in it to fix it gently popping out of 3rd gear once per month. I was not expecting that, as I even told them it wasn't that big of a deal, but just asked for them to look into it. That was at 116,000 miles, on the lifetime warranty that was given as an incentive. I didn't pay a dime for that warranty. You'd think that was an opportunity for them to at least squirm about it, considering I didn't make it a high priority. Btw, I did not buy the Jeep from that dealership, either. Of course, they earned my business for the new one, for sure. They also found me an additional $1,000 in savings long AFTER we had agreed upon 1% below invoice as the price, making it 3% below invoice. I just don't know how I could ask for more, but here it is: On a recent non-warranty repair (heater core hoses leaking and replace O2 sensors,) they gave me a new JK with 3.5 inch lift and 35's to drive for the week it took them to make the repair. Yes, it took them awhile because their service department was backed up, but who cares when they give you a loaner vehicle like that? This was BEFORE I ordered the new JL. On top of great dealer service, the contact I've had with FCA has been professional, friendly, and they've reached out to me, first on one occasion. I've also had them contact me just to make sure I was happy. If all that wasn't enough, they gave me the lifted 2017 JK again while they installed my lift!

I'm sorry to hear they don't do this for everyone, but maybe I've got some kind of Pentastar halo over my head, or something. I dunno.

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
Clayton is developing a lift. I'll wait for them. I'll bet their springs don't bow and it'll likely ride FAR better.

Last edited:

Sponsored

JASPER

First Name
Wayolife Sucks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon and 2014 JK 2dr
IT A JEEP NOT A TRUCK

Sponsored

JASPER

First Name
Wayolife Sucks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon and 2014 JK 2dr
lmao mits not a truck.. ITS A JEEP

JayV

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2015 Ford Expedition EL 4x4

BoisetheCat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-V
Stretched out the jeep a little today and now the spring is rubbing on the bump stock just driving down the road. This is bullshit!!

87828989-64C4-4D43-B96E-509384573222.jpeg

1B708CEF-BB23-4415-9595-AE19EDF48986.jpeg

176D14E0-CC62-4862-A5C1-9CC729D998C3.jpeg

073B15DE-9AC1-4263-94E4-99CFB8CE811D.jpeg
sketchhh

edit - what side of the front is this? drivers side ?
Sponsored