Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
Wow…Can’t even get Buffalo Trace for that price. Places here wanting $75 per bottle. I have to think prices will go down once the distillery’s expansion is done and they can make more. IDK
Years ago…
Sponsored

MRH512

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I enjoy the flavor profile, and usually get it at bars, so I wanted a bottle, but will not pay those kind of prices. That’s just crazy to me.
I agree. Back when I originally discovered Weller 12yr for myself, it was $23 a bottle. I used to buy three at a time because no one had ever heard of it, it was considered bottom-shelf, and I could find it everywhere I went.

Then some schlub wrote an article stating, "it's the same recipe as Pappy, just aged less!" and the bourbon world went to shit.

Then some other schlub wrote an article saying, "if you mix Weller Antique 107 and Weller 12yr 60/40, it tastes just like Pappy!" and the bourbon world went liquidy shit...

Then yet another schlub declared McKenna 10yr (my other previous secret that no one knew about) "the best bourbon in the world!!!" and I stopped trying to find anything of value or rarity.

The hunt used to be fun. Now, when you miraculously actually do find something noteworthy, it's marked up 1000% of it's actual value...

I'm ready for the clear spirits like vodka and gin to come back into vogue so we can have our bourbon back.

Shak14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I agree. Back when I originally discovered Weller 12yr for myself, it was $23 a bottle. I used to buy three at a time because no one had ever heard of it, it was considered bottom-shelf, and I could find it everywhere I went.

Then some schlub wrote an article stating, "it's the same recipe as Pappy, just aged less!" and the bourbon world went to shit.

Then some other schlub wrote an article saying, "if you mix Weller Antique 107 and Weller 12yr 60/40, it tastes just like Pappy!" and the bourbon world went liquidy shit...

Then yet another schlub declared McKenna 10yr (my other previous secret that no one knew about) "the best bourbon in the world!!!" and I stopped trying to find anything of value or rarity.

The hunt used to be fun. Now, when you miraculously actually do find something noteworthy, it's marked up 1000% of it's actual value...

I'm ready for the clear spirits like vodka and gin to come back into vogue so we can have our bourbon back.
LOL! Completely agree! Amazing how trendy the bourbon world has become. Make Gin great again!

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Preach!!!!
I'm starting to see cracks. People are growing tired of the hunt, the prices, the flippers, the taters.
I'm pairing my selection/collection down to "you only need 5 bottles" idea. I was a 1 bottle at a time guy for 30 years or so. Maker's Mark was all I needed. A bottle share on an offroad trip around the campfire got me going with a "where have you been all my life" moment. Only recently did I aquire multiple bottles. Currently around 30 different bottles and some duplicates of a few of them. I could drink a 2oz pour daily for a year and a half. I've decided to just have a few at a time. Let the liquor store "tote the note" on bottles I'm not currently drinking until I want to drink it, then I'll buy it. No need to have a liquor museum in my house... I can go stare at bottles at the liquor store for free.

Old Jeeper

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Amen

Sponsored

Valpo Jeep

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mas Ghibli, 18 JLU, 05 Gulfstream RV
Coming to the thread very late.

Depends on my mood for my daily drink. You can't go wrong with Jim Beam, its cheap and will get you fucked up just as easily.

Top shelf, have not picked 1. BUT we do have a bottle that comes out for special occasions. I have a bottle of Crown Royal with a 1967 liquor tag on it

Others that I like: Makers, Jack, Bulleit, Four Roses, and a very odd 1. Crown Peach is very tasty. St Julian Winery out of Paw Paw, Michigan has a whisky/bourbon that they make and its 110 proof. Very smooth and very potent.

If you take Crown Apple and Crown Caramel it will taste like a caramel apple.

Of course all mine are drank in a rock tumbler over ice.

Shak14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Went to one of my local liquor stores to see what gems they had behind the counter. Pappy 12, Pappy 15 and Weller CYPB. Price tags in that order were $1500, $2000, and $600. Grabbed some Ancient Age for $16. Merry Christmas!

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Went to one of my local liquor stores to see what gems they had behind the counter. Pappy 12, Pappy 15 and Weller CYPB. Price tags in that order were $1500, $2000, and $600. Grabbed some Ancient Age for $16. Merry Christmas!
Ya. Hard pass on prices like that for me too.

I'm giving this Total Wine house brand McFarlane's Reserve Select Cask Strength a try right now. Drinks a little hot. I'll see if it opens up any after a week or so.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bourbon talk... 20221223_164633

Old Jeeper

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I am sometimes prone to experimentation. Sometimes I win sometimes I lose. I found a winner here.

Been a Bourbon drinker since about 1966 and I don't anything but good stuff or hope and try to. Went to COSTCO and shelves were thin and sure not going to spend $$$$$$ on a Bourbon I have never tasted. So sitting there on the shelf was this bottle which I paid little attention to until I saw the price, then I picked it up and read it...all I have to say is: Someone in COSTCO LIKES Bourbon, this is good stuff.

At this price point worst that can happen is it becomes an add-in to my homemade BBQ sauce and or some other dish I cook with. By the way folks if you are not cooking with your inventory, you got a LOT to learn. Years ago in my high-flying single days, throwing parties and running my game I had a custom-built walk-in bar. To say I was well stock would have been an understatement. It was everything you could dream in a wet bar and then some.

I am not a big drinker ( I checked that BOX back in the 60s & 70s) after that is sip and taste it. But I did enjoy the variety of drink and I switched over to tasting and not drinking.

Then along came Sally and she asked what are going to with you "liquor store" now that we are married? Dunno but not going to toss it, but going to learn to cook with it. It adds a lot to you cooking.

Got it home and popped the cork, poured a shot, sat down and WOW was I shocked and surprised.

Popped the cork and a very soft and light nose, the sweetness of caramel and a hint of spices.

Room temp and it danced across my tongue like a high steppin Ballerina, no front toungue burn and not she is not draggin her feet.

Goes in your mouth very light and you pick up flavors of caramel, citrus almost a hint of orange and a bit of smokiness without being too heavy.

The finish as it rolls down the backside of your tongue it becomes a wide river of flavors of molasses with the spices leading the charge.

It arrives in the belly like a warm welcome from an old friend. It does not sit heavy and only asks you to bring some more.

Its good, very good and the price point is more than easy to swallow...

No, not going to pour this in my BBQ recipe, I have others for that which COST as much as 10x many times as this...
Jeep Wrangler JL Bourbon talk... IMG_5834.JPG

Sponsored

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I am sometimes prone to experimentation. Sometimes I win sometimes I lose. I found a winner here.

Been a Bourbon drinker since about 1966 and I don't anything but good stuff or hope and try to. Went to COSTCO and shelves were thin and sure not going to spend $$$$$$ on a Bourbon I have never tasted. So sitting there on the shelf was this bottle which I paid little attention to until I saw the price, then I picked it up and read it...all I have to say is: Someone in COSTCO LIKES Bourbon, this is good stuff.

At this price point worst that can happen is it becomes an add-in to my homemade BBQ sauce and or some other dish I cook with. By the way folks if you are not cooking with your inventory, you got a LOT to learn. Years ago in my high-flying single days, throwing parties and running my game I had a custom-built walk-in bar. To say I was well stock would have been an understatement. It was everything you could dream in a wet bar and then some.

I am not a big drinker ( I checked that BOX back in the 60s & 70s) after that is sip and taste it. But I did enjoy the variety of drink and I switched over to tasting and not drinking.

Then along came Sally and she asked what are going to with you "liquor store" now that we are married? Dunno but not going to toss it, but going to learn to cook with it. It adds a lot to you cooking.

Got it home and popped the cork, poured a shot, sat down and WOW was I shocked and surprised.

Popped the cork and a very soft and light nose, the sweetness of caramel and a hint of spices.

Room temp and it danced across my tongue like a high steppin Ballerina, no front toungue burn and not she is not draggin her feet.

Goes in your mouth very light and you pick up flavors of caramel, citrus almost a hint of orange and a bit of smokiness without being too heavy.

The finish as it rolls down the backside of your tongue it becomes a wide river of flavors of molasses with the spices leading the charge.

It arrives in the belly like a warm welcome from an old friend. It does not sit heavy and only asks you to bring some more.

No, not going to pour this in my BBQ recipe, I have others for that which COST as much as 10x many times as this...
Jeep Wrangler JL Bourbon talk... IMG_5834.JPG
The last time I was at the Costco near me the can sell liquor (only 2 stores in GA) i grabbed Kirkland Bottled in Bond. Looking forward to tasting it.
Says uts made by Barton 1792 for them. $25 for a liter.
Jeep Wrangler JL Bourbon talk... kirkland_bourbon_barton_1792_bib

Shak14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Jeep Wrangler JL Bourbon talk... kirkland_bourbon_barton_1792_bib
Great write up! I was just at Costco and didn’t even look. Now I’m going to have to give it a try.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
About a year ago, a good friend of mine passed and he was a booze collector. At his funeral, we (his wife, and some other friends) agreed to meet and have a drink for him. This happened the other night. We each took a small shot for him. Then put the bottle up for next year.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bourbon talk... 1671975323861

Shak14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
About a year ago, a good friend of mine passed and he was a booze collector. At his funeral, we (his wife, and some other friends) agreed to meet and have a drink for him. This happened the other night. We each took a small shot for him. Then put the bottle up for next year.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bourbon talk... 1671975323861
First off, sorry for your loss. Second, how is it?

PhoenixM3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GR86, 2023 Wrangler JLURD
Jeep Wrangler JL Bourbon talk... 325462E6-12E6-4C6A-8608-31B324F0534E
Within hours of picking up the Wench’s JLURD in October, we toured the Jack Daniels distillery. The small bottle in front is single barrel and 131.4 proof. The Sinatra was a pricey buy and we’ll break it open for special occasions.
Sponsored