Bouncy ride and shaky steering wheel after lift and upgrade tires

Jessjames357

First Name
Jess
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Do you guys think I should get a aftermarket track bar or a waste?
Not a waste, noticed a big difference after I installed my Rancho track bar. Goes down the road nice and straight no more loose steering or vibrations.
Sponsored

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
I had 35 X 12.5 X 18 BF Goodrich Mud terrain tires on a lifted JKUS that after many attempts would not balance. With those tires I would get the steering wheel shake anywhere between 42 and 50 MPH, you could drive through it and at 55 and above there was no issue and below 40 no issue. It felt like it was wanting to through you out of the seat at 45 MPH. I replaced the tires with 35 X 12.5 All Terrain BF Goodrich on the same wheels.
I never replaced any other component and the jeep drove like a dream at all speeds. My only point is I would look at the basics before changing a bunch of parts, it could be something very simple like a bad tire or wheel.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Piggy backing on this, anybody know which steering stabilizer is good? I was thinking teraflex 2.2 adjustable one.
I have that one and like it. I had it on my ‘19 and it made a big difference. I was waiting to get my new steering gear on my ‘20 before putting it on this Jeep. I got that last week so am ready to put it back on.

LDJD79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
The fox shocks that come with the mopar lift are definitely softer than the stock JLUR shocks. I thought mine drove good after the lift and 37s. Then I installed the Steersmarts track bar, drag link, tie rod. Now it drives like a dream. I definitely recommend upgrading these you won’t be disappointed.

Sponsored

bikenutty

First Name
Cash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Silver 2018 Ford Raptor Crew Cab 2012 ZX10R 2007 FJR1300 2018 Honda NC750X 2015 Yamaha 212SS Jet Boat
Occupation
Facilities Engineering Lead
I have 2 sets of wheels with 37s, KO2's and KM3's, the KM3s are on heavy wheels, over 100 lbs each. using the V41 damper and no death wobble (or bump steer) on either set.

OP
OP

DOCXKT

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JEEP WRANGLER JL UNLIMITED SAHARA
I am running the 2.1 non adjustable Falcon Nexus and it seems to work well.
Waiting to order my falcon adjustable steering stabilizer hopefully fixes mine

OP
OP

DOCXKT

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you guys think I should upgrade the track bar first or steering stabilizer or together?

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
It might be a good idea to ensure that the new components have been torqued down properly before you purchase anything. Wobbles are sometimes caused by loose or worn components.

Perhaps you will find this useful.

Sponsored

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
I experience the same thing and put a Fox steering stablizer on it. Problem solved. Do it. It only takes 20 minutes to install.

Morris4x4

First Name
Morris 4x4
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.morris4x4center.com
Vehicle(s)
JL, '13 JK
Adjustable track bar, better ball joints, drag link flip, adjustable front lower contorl arms, correction brackets, beer. Those should be the usuals for attempting to fix that. Not sure if there's a "better" order in terms of what to get first. All can/might need to be done, can be pieced slowly as I did or if you have some moola hanging around you can do a buy once cry once.

-Julia

OP
OP

DOCXKT

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I experience the same thing and put a Fox steering stablizer on it. Problem solved. Do it. It only takes 20 minutes to install.
The job seems simple you think I need a impact wrench?

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
The job seems simple you think I need a impact wrench?
IIRC, I used mine. But that may have just been to speed things up. It was hard to get it in there so you will have to turn your wheels or jack the driver's side up a little to get the whachamacallit bar out of the way. I would also recommend Loctite on everything.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Adjustable track bar, better ball joints, drag link flip, adjustable front lower contorl arms, correction brackets, beer. Those should be the usuals for attempting to fix that. Not sure if there's a "better" order in terms of what to get first. All can/might need to be done, can be pieced slowly as I did or if you have some moola hanging around you can do a buy once cry once.

-Julia
I would say that whatever order one chooses, beer should always be first.
Sponsored