Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JEEP WRANGLER JL UNLIMITED SAHARA

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Is everything EXACTLY torqued to spec per the instructions for the kit and done so on the ground? Not kinda close, close enough, or super tight, but EXACT? This will make a huge difference in the handling of the Jeep.

OP
OP

DOCXKT

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is everything EXACTLY torqued to spec per the instructions for the kit and done so on the ground? Not kinda close, close enough, or super tight, but EXACT? This will make a huge difference in the handling of the Jeep.
I can’t really answer that question because I had it done at a shop. This shop is own to work in Jeep’s.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Here are a few vids of how my JLUS rides, I’m running 35’s with a RC 2.5” budget boost and there is some play in the steering but nothing serious

This is how much play I have in the steering

OP
OP

DOCXKT

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here are a few vids of how my JLUS rides, I’m running 35’s with a RC 2.5” budget boost and there is some play in the steering but nothing serious

This is how much play I have in the steering

Im going to try and shoot a video of mine cause that seems a bit normal to me

Sponsored

Dcoury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
Good morning guys, I’ve tried searching and couldn’t come to a direct answer. I’ve upgraded my suspension to the mopar lift kit and 35 inch tires ko2’s with 17 inch black rhino arsenal. What I’ve noticed is that when I go over little bumps the steering wheel shakes about a inch to both sides almost like a death wobble. The ride almost feels like I’m riding on a water bed compared to the stock OEM suspension is this normal or should I get it checked out by the shop who installed it?

4A734904-AE6E-41A6-BBF1-226EE6C042D8.jpeg

Dcoury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
Good morning guys, I’ve tried searching and couldn’t come to a direct answer. I’ve upgraded my suspension to the mopar lift kit and 35 inch tires ko2’s with 17 inch black rhino arsenal. What I’ve noticed is that when I go over little bumps the steering wheel shakes about a inch to both sides almost like a death wobble. The ride almost feels like I’m riding on a water bed compared to the stock OEM suspension is this normal or should I get it checked out by the shop who installed it?

Just bought a 2021 Diesel Rubicon and also had the Mopar lift installed at Dealership. Went with Nitto Ridge Grapoler's 35's also installed a Fox stearing stabilizer $475.00.
This Wrangler is the best riding wrangler that we have had and I don't have a steering problem at all. Knock on wood.
Donnie
4A734904-AE6E-41A6-BBF1-226EE6C042D8.jpeg

OP
OP

DOCXKT

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Piggy backing on this, anybody know which steering stabilizer is good? I was thinking teraflex 2.2 adjustable one.

Humthis04

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Did my 2019 Rubi back in the summer. Same kit. Same tires. Different rims. Exact same problem !!!

What you are experiencing is bump steer.

The problem turned out to be the steering damper. On the steering damper there were two stickers with arrows on them. One points driver or passenger, the other fore or aft. Mine was pointed aft and passenger. Neither I (310T mechanic) or the mechanic at Demeyere CDJR (and he's one smart dude) could make heads or tails of which way it was actually supposed to go either. Fortunately there were a couple gladiators on the lot so we looked at them. Sure enough, mine was in upside down. One bolt, flip it around. Simple solution.

Should be good to go, right? Not on your life. Made absolutely no difference whatsoever.

I'm standing with the mechanic and the service manager and we're talking over what the problem could be. Caster? Toe? Track bar? Shouldn't be because the alignment was well within specs. Steering box maybe? Just then the parts manager walks by. The mechanic and I recount the attempted fix and he pipes up "Did you bleed the steering damper before reinstalling it?".

The mechanic and I are like WTF ... who ever heard of that before? Parts guy replies that there was a bulletin out on it. You have to take the damper off, put a bar through the shaft end, stand it upright on the floor and stand on the bar. Put another bar in the tube end, and completely cycle the steering damper five (5) times. Reinstalled the steering damper in the right direction ... arrow pointing forward ... Took her for a test drive over a bumpy road and lo and behold, PROBLEM SOLVED !!!

Apparently there is a port in a disc inside the steering damper that must remain oriented up. If it is installed upside down it simply shunts oil back and forth and does not provide any dampening effect.

That solution worked exceptionally well. Not overly confident in the longevity of the stock (red) steering damper, I went ahead and ordered the Mopar/Fox steering damper that compliments the Mopar/Fox lift kit ... besides it just looks cool with that big silver steering damper up front ... and had that installed a couple weeks after.

In hindsight, I should have kept the stock steering damper. It works much smoother than the Fox one, which is actually too big for the application, although I think it would work great if I were running 37's or bigger. The Mopar/Fox unit exacerbated the track bar issue, which I just had changed last week.

She's back to her old self now.

PS ... I use the term "Steering Damper". Others may refer to it as "Steering Stabilizer".
Interesting to say the least; I think there's been a lot of money spent on aftermarket dampers if this simple fix works. I'm on 37's and AEV wheels and spacer lift. I get an intermittent steering shake and it's finally got a new steering gear and alignment in progress so we'll see what it's like after this.

Col_Sanders

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
If you hit a bump and your steering wheel turns, that is bump steer. The trackbar and drag link need to be parallel to one another (and ideally the same length) to prevent this from happening. Lifting the vehicle without doing anything to the trackbar has increased the angle on the drag link and they are no longer parallel with one another. That is why the higher end lifts come with adjustable trackbars.

Sponsored

Humthis04

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
If you hit a bump and your steering wheel turns, that is bump steer. The trackbar and drag link need to be parallel to one another (and ideally the same length) to prevent this from happening. Lifting the vehicle without doing anything to the trackbar has increased the angle on the drag link and they are no longer parallel with one another. That is why the higher end lifts come with adjustable trackbars.
Agreed. For me, it's not bump steer... it's steering wheel shake that isn't predictable, although it's usually around 50-55mph. This is similar to a video that [Banned Site] posted; I think they fixed it with a trackbar and also installed that Synergy steering/track bar bracket. It's not death wobble, but more similar to a wheel out of balance. It could be, but usually a wheel balance issue only gets worse with higher speed, in my case, the shake will go away.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Piggy backing on this, anybody know which steering stabilizer is good? I was thinking teraflex 2.2 adjustable one.
I am running the 2.1 non adjustable Falcon Nexus and it seems to work well.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I can’t really answer that question because I had it done at a shop. This shop is own to work in Jeep’s.
This would be the first thing to check. My cheap-and-Chinesey torque wrench ate shit towards the end of the install and I had to wing it the rest of the way. While my Jeep drove great for the most part, it definitely felt off. When I got a new torque wrench and went back and corrected everything, it cleared all of that up.

Danielos2

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon 4-door Sting-Grey
"this is not the droid your looking for" works every time so they don't see who you are! lol

Thor64

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I had the same feeling in the steering play and installed a RC dual steering stabilizer and it returned it back to stock feel.
Sponsored