OP

DOCXKT

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JEEP WRANGLER JL UNLIMITED SAHARA
Have you noticed if the shaking worsens when you stomp on the brakes?

Go to a bumpy road and stomp on the brakes; then see if the steering wheel pushes left and right. If so, you have “bump steer.”

The bad news is you should not have bump steer. The good news is it is easy for the dealer to replicate.
Driving highway it feels like almost if I’m on a water bed. when I press on the brakes from 60 to zero there’s no shake in the steering wheel just when I go over small bumps.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Driving highway it feels like almost if I’m on a water bed. when I press on the brakes from 60 to zero there’s no shake in the steering wheel just when I go over small bumps.
The “waterbed” feeling sounds like you just need to get used to the higher, softer suspension. That’s what lifts tend to do.

The shaking is concerning, though.

The test I am describing is not to brake on the freeway from 60-0.

Find a lightly rutted road somewhere: drive to 25 MPH and when you hit the bumps stomp on the brakes. If you have bump steer, you will feel the steering wheel fighting in your hands left to right.

Bump steer can be caused by a variety of things. Weak or worn out parts are the most common. Loose parts is also possible. It is for this reason it is important that you take it back to the dealer sooner rather than later.

It could be that the dealer or the alignment shop didn’t torque things properly.

OP
OP

DOCXKT

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The “waterbed” feeling sounds like you just need to get used to the higher, softer suspension. That’s what lifts tend to do.

The shaking is concerning, though.

The test I am describing is not to brake on the freeway from 60-0.

Find a lightly rutted road somewhere: drive to 25 MPH and when you hit the bumps stomp on the brakes. If you have bump steer, you will feel the steering wheel fighting in your hands.

Bump steer can be caused by a variety of things. Weak or worn out parts are the most common. Loose parts is also possible. It is for this reason it is important that you take it back to the dealer sooner rather than later.

It could be that the dealer or the alignment shop didn’t torque things up properly.
I have to go back and get everything torque down after 25 miles. I already notified the shop who installed it so I guess I’ll have them check it out.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I have to go back and get everything torque down after 25 miles. I already notified the shop who installed it so I guess I’ll have them check it out.
Excellent!

Still, you want to know exactly how they can replicate it so that they can fix it. Nothing like having the shop take the Jeep out for a spin, and you pointing out to them exactly the condition as it happens.

It makes all the difference when a mechanic is trying to fix an issue he has experienced first-hand, vs chasing after words stated by the customer.

Good luck!

OP
OP

DOCXKT

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Excellent!

Still, you want to know exactly how they can replicate it so that they can fix it. Nothing like having the shop take the Jeep out for a spin, and you pointing out to them exactly the condition as it happens.

It makes all the difference when a mechanic is trying to fix an issue he has experienced first-hand, vs chasing after words stated by the customer.

Good luck!
Thanks! Imma try to find a spot to test it, as you all know New York has very limited spots 🥺

Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
This would seem like the first course of action if your're unwilling to climb under there yourself with a torque wrench.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I run my KO2 35’s at 28# cold and yes it’s a tad bouncy but I have a RC budget boost and it was slightly bouncy before the boost but as stated with the additional weight from rims and tires it’s going to make it more pronounced, I did have the V41 recall n the stabilizer but went with a Fox thru shaft one and FCA reimbursed me for it so I get no shaking at all, some road vibration on certain roads but the tires are pretty knobby so that’s to be expected, my 2018 JLUS steers pretty darn straight but I do have some play in the wheel but it’s not much.

I tried running higher pressure but I wanted to get the max wear from my tires so I chalk tested them and 28-30 cold seems to be the sweet spot and once them warm up pressure comes up about 10%

I never had the alignment checked as the RC budget boost uses pretty much all the same parts with a few exceptions so the only thing that could have been checked was the toe in/out but it rides well so I opted not to do it as I rotate every 6-8k miles and tires are wearing pretty evenly

As far as death wobble you would know....

OP
OP

DOCXKT

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This would seem like the first course of action if your're unwilling to climb under there yourself with a torque wrench.
I rather have them do it on a lift 🤷🏻‍♂️ And I never touched a lift before ☹

OP
OP

DOCXKT

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I run my KO2 35’s at 28# cold and yes it’s a tad bouncy but I have a RC budget boost and it was slightly bouncy before the boost but as stated with the additional weight from rims and tires it’s going to make it more pronounced, I did have the V41 recall n the stabilizer but went with a Fox thru shaft one and FCA reimbursed me for it so I get no shaking at all, some road vibration on certain roads but the tires are pretty knobby so that’s to be expected, my 2018 JLUS steers pretty darn straight but I do have some play in the wheel but it’s not much.

I tried running higher pressure but I wanted to get the max wear from my tires so I chalk tested them and 28-30 cold seems to be the sweet spot and once them warm up pressure comes up about 10%

I never had the alignment checked as the RC budget boost uses pretty much all the same parts with a few exceptions so the only thing that could have been checked was the toe in/out but it rides well so I opted not to do it as I rotate every 6-8k miles and tires are wearing pretty evenly

As far as death wobble you would know....
I had the v41 recall and steering box changed but still had steering play, however after the lift and tires I don’t have to hold my steering wheel to the left as much as I use too. It’s just when I go over minor bumps my steering wheel shakes. I’m looking into the falcon 2.2 adjustable steering stabilizer.

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
Good morning guys, I’ve tried searching and couldn’t come to a direct answer. I’ve upgraded my suspension to the mopar lift kit and 35 inch tires ko2’s with 17 inch black rhino arsenal. What I’ve noticed is that when I go over little bumps the steering wheel shakes about a inch to both sides almost like a death wobble. The ride almost feels like I’m riding on a water bed compared to the stock OEM suspension is this normal or should I get it checked out by the shop who installed it?
Did my 2019 Rubi back in the summer. Same kit. Same tires. Different rims. Exact same problem !!!

What you are experiencing is bump steer.

The problem turned out to be the steering damper. On the steering damper there were two stickers with arrows on them. One points driver or passenger, the other fore or aft. Mine was pointed aft and passenger. Neither I (310T mechanic) or the mechanic at Demeyere CDJR (and he's one smart dude) could make heads or tails of which way it was actually supposed to go either. Fortunately there were a couple gladiators on the lot so we looked at them. Sure enough, mine was in upside down. One bolt, flip it around. Simple solution.

Should be good to go, right? Not on your life. Made absolutely no difference whatsoever.

I'm standing with the mechanic and the service manager and we're talking over what the problem could be. Caster? Toe? Track bar? Shouldn't be because the alignment was well within specs. Steering box maybe? Just then the parts manager walks by. The mechanic and I recount the attempted fix and he pipes up "Did you bleed the steering damper before reinstalling it?".

The mechanic and I are like WTF ... who ever heard of that before? Parts guy replies that there was a bulletin out on it. You have to take the damper off, put a bar through the shaft end, stand it upright on the floor and stand on the bar. Put another bar in the tube end, and completely cycle the steering damper five (5) times. Reinstalled the steering damper in the right direction ... arrow pointing forward ... Took her for a test drive over a bumpy road and lo and behold, PROBLEM SOLVED !!!

Apparently there is a port in a disc inside the steering damper that must remain oriented up. If it is installed upside down it simply shunts oil back and forth and does not provide any dampening effect.

That solution worked exceptionally well. Not overly confident in the longevity of the stock (red) steering damper, I went ahead and ordered the Mopar/Fox steering damper that compliments the Mopar/Fox lift kit ... besides it just looks cool with that big silver steering damper up front ... and had that installed a couple weeks after.

In hindsight, I should have kept the stock steering damper. It works much smoother than the Fox one, which is actually too big for the application, although I think it would work great if I were running 37's or bigger. The Mopar/Fox unit exacerbated the track bar issue, which I just had changed last week.

She's back to her old self now.

PS ... I use the term "Steering Damper". Others may refer to it as "Steering Stabilizer".

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I had the v41 recall and steering box changed but still had steering play, however after the lift and tires I don’t have to hold my steering wheel to the left as much as I use too. It’s just when I go over minor bumps my steering wheel shakes. I’m looking into the falcon 2.2 adjustable steering stabilizer.
I do have to hold my wheel to the left at times but I think its more the way the crown in the road is I travel on back and fourth to work on as if I get on a pretty flat road it’s pretty straight but I do have some play, maybe 3” from side to side but I honestly don’t mind the play as it helps Offroad and my tires are doing super well, I have about 30k miles on them and that are 1/2 gone as far as tread wear per Discount Tire, the Tech that rotated them even commented why I was having tires so new rotated and I said they had 30k on them and he was amazed.

Im hoping to get at least another 25-30k out of them but who knows, I do know tires are pricy so we have to do what we can to get the most wear

OP
OP

DOCXKT

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did my 2019 Rubi back in the summer. Same kit. Same tires. Different rims. Exact same problem !!!

What you are experiencing is bump steer.

The problem turned out to be the steering damper. On the steering damper there were two stickers with arrows on them. One points driver or passenger, the other fore or aft. Mine was pointed aft and passenger. Neither I (310T mechanic) or the mechanic at Demeyere CDJR (and he's one smart dude) could make heads or tails of which way it was actually supposed to go either. Fortunately there were a couple gladiators on the lot so we looked at them. Sure enough, mine was in upside down. One bolt, flip it around. Simple solution.

Should be good to go, right? Not on your life. Made absolutely no difference whatsoever.

I'm standing with the mechanic and the service manager and we're talking over what the problem could be. Caster? Toe? Track bar? Shouldn't be because the alignment was well within specs. Steering box maybe? Just then the parts manager walks by. The mechanic and I recount the attempted fix and he pipes up "Did you bleed the steering damper before reinstalling it?".

The mechanic and I are like WTF ... who ever heard of that before? Parts guy replies that there was a bulletin out on it. You have to take the damper off, put a bar through the shaft end, stand it upright on the floor and stand on the bar. Put another bar in the tube end, and completely cycle the steering damper five (5) times. Reinstalled the steering damper in the right direction ... arrow pointing forward ... Took her for a test drive over a bumpy road and lo and behold, PROBLEM SOLVED !!!

Apparently there is a port in a disc inside the steering damper that must remain oriented up. If it is installed upside down it simply shunts oil back and forth and does not provide any dampening effect.

That solution worked exceptionally well. Not overly confident in the longevity of the stock (red) steering damper, I went ahead and ordered the Mopar/Fox steering damper that compliments the Mopar/Fox lift kit ... besides it just looks cool with that big silver steering damper up front ... and had that installed a couple weeks after.

In hindsight, I should have kept the stock steering damper. It works much smoother than the Fox one, which is actually too big for the application, although I think it would work great if I were running 37's or bigger. The Mopar/Fox unit exacerbated the track bar issue, which I just had changed last week.

She's back to her old self now.

PS ... I use the term "Steering Damper". Others may refer to it as "Steering Stabilizer".
I have the stock v41 recall steering stabilizer and I made sure it was put on correctly due to dealerships installing them incorrect on other keeps occurring to the forum. I might just purchase a aftermarket steering stabilizer and track bar hopefully that helps!

americonium

First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Black
Occupation
Engineering Technician
If you're on Long Island, Carmen Mill Road on the Nassau/Suffolk county border between Sunrise Highway and Merrick is my go to for checking the quality of my ride. If you can drive 30 mph with a very loose grip and the wheel doesn't jerk out of your hands, you're golden. That's where I found out my tie rod was shot and my track bar was too short. Good luck.

Oh, and here's a great instructional page.

https://www.extremeterrain.com/wrangler-jeep-suspension-components-explained.html

OP
OP

DOCXKT

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you're on Long Island, Carmen Mill Road on the Nassau/Suffolk county border between Sunrise Highway and Merrick is my go to for checking the quality of my ride. If you can drive 30 mph with a very loose grip and the wheel doesn't jerk out of your hands, you're golden. That's where I found out my tie rod was shot and my track bar was too short. Good luck.

Oh, and here's a great instructional page.

https://www.extremeterrain.com/wrangler-jeep-suspension-components-explained.html
do you need a membership for this place or have to pay a fee?