Sponsored

Bought JLUS 2 months ago, now want a Rubicon instead....

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Glad you worked it out with yourself. I want the Rubicon for more reasons than just wanting one for the name...
For me I didn’t have serious plans for off-roading until I start frequenting this forum and that opened a can of worms for me. I would say if I had a Rubicon I’d definitely be looking into doing more serious trails.
Sponsored

OP
OP
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport JL
Why would you wait? The value will continue to go down. You will be a year older and you'll have one year less of enjoying what you want. Life's short. Live in the present.

On the other hand....
This could be a big opportunity to build a Rubicon slayer. A couple air locker Dana 44s or even 60s and some huge tires. (first thing half the Rubicon owners on this forum do is chuck the stock tires, rails, bumpers and suspension and have to re-gear both axles). That pretty much just leaves the transfer case and electric swaybar disconnect of the main Rubicon features. The transfer case you can change to a Rubicon or an Atlas. Tell me you have the V6.
I agree... why wait... we’re not getting younger. And yes, I have the V6.
On the other hand, I simply don’t want a Rubicon slayer. I don’t want to take the time to figure out how I want to configure and modify the Sport. I think the Rubicon has the perfect features for my needs/wants. Dana 44’s... locking axles, electric sway disconnect, etc... all without having to modify it further, other than adding 35’s. Thanks for commenting...

OP
OP
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also with the 8 speed automatic, if you are not crawling you don't really need the Rubicon T-case, the higher geared one does just fine for what the majority of people will do in their Jeeps. For my purposes out in the desert, the sport T-case is actually better.
Correct... I won’t be rock crawling but I do go on mountain roads when hunting and even though the Sport is very capable, I would like that peace of mind of having that extra “oomph” if needed. I’m one of those... “better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it”.

OP
OP
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why do you want a Rubicon instead? Capability? Looks? Options not available with the Sport/Sport S? No wrong answer here, but may help you make a decision.

You could shop around, but you may be able buy a lift/wheels/tires with the money you might lose on trading yours in. So, for your same amount of money, your choice may be a Rubicon, or yours+upgrades.

If you are still set on getting a Rubicon, might as well wait to see what the 2020s may have, since you aren't in a rush.
You said it... capabilities/features that the Sport doesn’t have. Dana 44’s, locking axles, electronic sway disconnect, higher mounted fenders for 35’s, etc. We foolishly rushed into the Sport.

OP
OP
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Take it to the dealer and see how bad a hit it’ll be. If to much, just build your sport like a rubicon but with Rubi takeoffs or superior parts. You might be surprised how much you can do with the hit a dealers going to give you

Brett
You may be right... I will look into this... thank you.

Sponsored

OP
OP
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree with the above:

#1 - why do you ant a Rubicon?

#2 - talk to the dealer and see the numbers

The answers to those 2 will pave the way... or unpave them since we're talking jeeps ;)
#1. Dana 44’s... diff locks... sway disconnect... higher mounted fenders for 35’s (not to mention the right axles for 35’s in my opinion)... opportunity to get the OE LED package.... 4:10 ratio, etc.

#2. Will definitely look into this...

Thanks for reply

OP
OP
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Look for rubi takeoff parts on the forum, Craigslist, FB marketplace and other Jeep forums. You can build a good clone for pennies while increasing the value of your sport. Then put it up for sale in a couple months and you might turn a profit.
Interesting idea... I like it. Thanks!

OP
OP
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For me I didn’t have serious plans for off-roading until I start frequenting this forum and that opened a can of worms for me. I would say if I had a Rubicon I’d definitely be looking into doing more serious trails.
Yeah, these forums can get you in trouble lol... nice Jeep!

emilboya

First Name
Emil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3 (Sold) & Jeep JL
Occupation
Process Engineer
be like me, make your sport into a poser rubicon lol

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
In a year or so Eaton will likely have their Electric Lockers available and can be installed in your existing axles, unless you are hard core crawling your existing axles will be fine with aftermarket lockers, Cost likely under $5K installed for both axles and possibly including gears. You can get air lockers installed now for $2K per axle.

By the time you loose $8K or more on your trade and then pay $10K-$15K more for the Rubicon there are better ways to achieve what you want. Not to mention once you drive that new Rubicon off the lot you lost another $6-$8K.

Frankly you might be better off with a Sahara with Limited slip and Select Trac for your described use.

With the $$$ loss and the more you would pay you could build a great machine with bad ass looks.

I have the limited slip on my Sahara and plan at some point to add locker (waiting for the Eatons) to the front, once that is done I will be every bit as capable as a Rubi with the exception of hard core crawling and in average trail and snow driving more capable.

Finally add a winch and you are good to go

Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
In a year or so Eaton will likely have their Electric Lockers available and can be installed in your existing axles, unless you are hard core crawling your existing axles will be fine with aftermarket lockers, Cost likely under $5K installed for both axles and possibly including gears. You can get air lockers installed now for $2K per axle.

By the time you loose $8K or more on your trade and then pay $10K-$15K more for the Rubicon there are better ways to achieve what you want. Not to mention once you drive that new Rubicon off the lot you lost another $6-$8K.

Frankly you might be better off with a Sahara with Limited slip and Select Trac for your described use.

With the $$$ loss and the more you would pay you could build a great machine with bad ass looks.

I have the limited slip on my Sahara and plan at some point to add locker (waiting for the Eatons) to the front, once that is done I will be every bit as capable as a Rubi with the exception of hard core crawling and in average trail and snow driving more capable.

Finally add a winch and you are good to go
If you don’t want bigger than 35s, rubi takeout axles are around 3-3500. That would include the 4.10s, lockers and bigger axles. If you did go bigger tires you’d possibly be money ahead to still add rubi axles and regear them to 4.88s or 5.13

For the money it’s hard to beat takeout Rubi axles vs building up the stock sport/Sahara/Moab axle

Brett

Megsxr750

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Gsxr750 ,2014 Mazda6,and a 2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
As others have said, life is too short, get what YOU want and enjoy it!! When you bite the bullet and get a loaded Rubicon you really don't look back, you have everything you could want. It would drive me crazy if I left off some options to save a little money and then decided I wanted them later. I think it makes the extra money spent all worth it.

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
I would really look at the numbers. And if you want to leave it stock, I'd lean toward biting the bullet and trading up to the Rubicon. If you're going to lift it, put on new wheels and tires, etc, then mod your sport. I was about to buy a sport when I changed my mind and ordered a base rubicon with the only options being the auto, hardtop, and heated seats. (kinda wish I had sprung for trailer tow and proximity, but I was trying to keep it as limited as possible). The Rubi was 6K more than the Sport S, but when you look at just the wheels/tires and hood, that's about 3K worth of parts that simply look better than the base. Throw in everything else the Rubi has and I'm glad I bumped up to it. I know this is different from our situation, but just thought I'd share.

Once again, if you're going to keep it stock, bite the bullet and trade for the Rubi - you'll have everything you want and covered under factory warranty. If you're going to mod it, stick with your sport. ;)

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
Obviously he isn't interested in building his Sport into a Rubicon, he KNOWS that can be done if he wants to invest the time and money. And unless you are wrenching yourself (resale killer) you'l be paying a lot to have upgrades done by professionals. Take the hit get what you want.

moodywizard

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
If you don’t want bigger than 35s, rubi takeout axles are around 3-3500. That would include the 4.10s, lockers and bigger axles. If you did go bigger tires you’d possibly be money ahead to still add rubi axles and regear them to 4.88s or 5.13

For the money it’s hard to beat takeout Rubi axles vs building up the stock sport/Sahara/Moab axle

Brett
^^ this is the reason I ordered a rubicon. I have had a few jeeps, offroad toys, etc and do all the work my self. But when pricing out the build on a sport/sahara vs rubi its only about 10k. I thought about upgrading sport to rubi but by the time you buy the axles, lockers and transfer case you are not really saving much. If you have to regear the rubi axles its only 1-2k. I dont take into account the electric sway bar, its okay until I get the currie antirock.
Sponsored