Sponsored

ztobro

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2.0T
Borla Touring Climber exhaust system complete and Jeep is back in my care. I had the opportunity to try out both the S-Type and Touring climber and they are both excellent systems.

I had the S-Type for a couple of days and the sound was noticeable under most conditions. While I wouldn't say it's loud, it definitely lets you know it's there. I has a nice tone as the engine revs up through the gears. It's not loud at idle, but you do notice it. It's probably "loudest" when the engine is running around 1600 RPM which is cruising at around 55 mph with the 2.0T & 8-speed transmission. If that sound is bothersome you can always manually put it in 7th. Other than that I really enjoyed the S-Type. The only condition I couldn't try was off-road.

If the S-Type is a bit much for your tastes, the Touring has all the pleasing characteristics of the S-Type but in a more subtle volume. Barely noticeable at idle so it's not jarring with the stop start system (neither was the S-Type, but that was more apparent). Not an issue if you're one of the many who disable the start stop by whatever means. While driving you notice the exhaust, but it's not in any way intrusive. I am very happy with the Touring system... for me it offers the perfect balance between sporty and well mannered.

One thing I did notice is that at cold start the engine idles higher than normal. This does increase the sound at cold idle but it's only a minute or so before the idle settles down. This is just the way the 2.0 starts up, not a fault of the exhaust. Even the stock muffler was louder at cold start. I haven't cold started the Touring yet but will update once I have some road time. Not something I consider a problem, just won't let it sit and run at idle in the wee hours of the morning since my driveway is right next to my neighbors windows.

All things considered, I feel the Touring hits the sweet spot for performance, tone, quietness, and clearance. But gotta admit there is part of me that really liked the more aggressive tone of the S-Type.

They did use my Jeep for some photos of the axle back in chrome. Looks really nice for those who want dual exhausts and don't mind the loss in departure angle. But for me the Climber is the only way to go :)

Thanks for letting me participate @Ian@Borla and @Lisa@Borla ! You have a great product and the best people!

2019 Jeep JLU 2.0T - 10-15-2019_6158.jpg
2019 Jeep JLU 2.0T - 10-15-2019_6161.jpg

And the before and after with the Climber system (sorry for the wonky after shot... the jeep really isn't that twisted... just a bad camera angle):

Before.jpg
After.jpg
Awesome dude! Thanks for the write up! Do you know if sound clips are coming soon? I’ve been dying to hear some more!

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome dude! Thanks for the write up! Do you know if sound clips are coming soon? I’ve been dying to hear some more!
Sound clip videos are in processing. Last I heard they'll be up in a few weeks (there are a number of vehicles in line for processing before this). I'll be sure to post an update here when I see them go up (unless the folks at Borla beat me to it!)

OP
OP
Ian@Borla

Ian@Borla

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Borla
Borla Touring Climber exhaust system complete and Jeep is back in my care. I had the opportunity to try out both the S-Type and Touring climber and they are both excellent systems.

I had the S-Type for a couple of days and the sound was noticeable under most conditions. While I wouldn't say it's loud, it definitely lets you know it's there. I has a nice tone as the engine revs up through the gears. It's not loud at idle, but you do notice it. It's probably "loudest" when the engine is running around 1600 RPM which is cruising at around 55 mph with the 2.0T & 8-speed transmission. If that sound is bothersome you can always manually put it in 7th. Other than that I really enjoyed the S-Type. The only condition I couldn't try was off-road.

If the S-Type is a bit much for your tastes, the Touring has all the pleasing characteristics of the S-Type but in a more subtle volume. Barely noticeable at idle so it's not jarring with the stop start system (neither was the S-Type, but that was more apparent). Not an issue if you're one of the many who disable the start stop by whatever means. While driving you notice the exhaust, but it's not in any way intrusive. I am very happy with the Touring system... for me it offers the perfect balance between sporty and well mannered.

One thing I did notice is that at cold start the engine idles higher than normal. This does increase the sound at cold idle but it's only a minute or so before the idle settles down. This is just the way the 2.0 starts up, not a fault of the exhaust. Even the stock muffler was louder at cold start. I haven't cold started the Touring yet but will update once I have some road time. Not something I consider a problem, just won't let it sit and run at idle in the wee hours of the morning since my driveway is right next to my neighbors windows.

All things considered, I feel the Touring hits the sweet spot for performance, tone, quietness, and clearance. But gotta admit there is part of me that really liked the more aggressive tone of the S-Type.

They did use my Jeep for some photos of the axle back in chrome. Looks really nice for those who want dual exhausts and don't mind the loss in departure angle. But for me the Climber is the only way to go :)

Thanks for letting me participate @Ian@Borla and @Lisa@Borla ! You have a great product and the best people!

2019 Jeep JLU 2.0T - 10-15-2019_6158.jpg
2019 Jeep JLU 2.0T - 10-15-2019_6161.jpg

And the before and after with the Climber system (sorry for the wonky after shot... the jeep really isn't that twisted... just a bad camera angle):

Before.jpg
After.jpg
Thank you for the awesome write up, we're glad you're enjoying our Touring Climber system! Again, we really appreciate you allowing us to borrow your JL for development. :clap:

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for the awesome write up, we're glad you're enjoying our Touring Climber system! Again, we really appreciate you allowing us to borrow your JL for development. :clap:
Appreciate the opportunity to participate! I am loving the Touring climber more every day. It's the perfect sound for the 2.0 (IMHO)

Any idea when they'll be available for purchase?

Last edited:

Sponsored

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
One week update:

The exhaust sound has definitely mellowed out a bit over the first week. I know the idea of an exhaust system break in period can be controversial, but I'm now a believer.

The minor drone at start up high idle has abated somewhat. It's still there but it's not nearly as intrusive as it was. I still won't just sit there and let it idle unless there's some other reason to, but it's not anything that's gonna wake the neighbors or scare the cows. The other minor drone at around 1600 RPM / 55 mph has disappeared altogether.

Definitely louder than stock, but in a good way. Very pleasing tone as it runs up and down the 8-speed auto. I'm probably weird but more than once over the past week I've turned off the audio just to listen to the exhaust note as the jeep works through the gears.

It's really really difficult to make a 4-cylinder sound good. But I think Borla got this one right.

IMG_8518.JPG

ztobro

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2.0T
One week update:

The exhaust sound has definitely mellowed out a bit over the first week. I know the idea of an exhaust system break in period can be controversial, but I'm now a believer.

The minor drone at start up high idle has abated somewhat. It's still there but it's not nearly as intrusive as it was. I still won't just sit there and let it idle unless there's some other reason to, but it's not anything that's gonna wake the neighbors or scare the cows. The other minor drone at around 1600 RPM / 55 mph has disappeared altogether.

Definitely louder than stock, but in a good way. Very pleasing tone as it runs up and down the 8-speed auto. I'm probably weird but more than once over the past week I've turned off the audio just to listen to the exhaust note as the jeep works through the gears.

It's really really difficult to make a 4-cylinder sound good. But I think Borla got this one right.

IMG_8518.JPG
Awesome update! Super excited to hear how it sounds sooner or later! @Ian@Borla has there been any movement on developing cat-backs for two-doors yet? If not, is there a specific muffler you could recommend for an S-Type or Touring sound level? I can always get measurements of what kind of clearance I'm working with underneath the Jeep. The auxiliary battery from the BSG really makes things tight down there.

OP
OP
Ian@Borla

Ian@Borla

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Borla
Awesome update! Super excited to hear how it sounds sooner or later! @Ian@Borla has there been any movement on developing cat-backs for two-doors yet? If not, is there a specific muffler you could recommend for an S-Type or Touring sound level? I can always get measurements of what kind of clearance I'm working with underneath the Jeep. The auxiliary battery from the BSG really makes things tight down there.
Unfortunately, we have not made progress with the 2-doors! We haven't been able to get access to one to bring in for R&D. Sorry! I would recommend looking into our ProXS universal mufflers as they're aren't going to be too aggressive. You will just have to make sure that you have enough room to fit the muffler. Link: https://www.borla.com/products/mufflers/proxs.html

If you are interested in going this route, I recommend ordering from our distributors as they will have the better deal. You may also qualify for free shipping once you reach a certain amount.

ztobro

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2.0T
Unfortunately, we have not made progress with the 2-doors! We haven't been able to get access to one to bring in for R&D. Sorry! I would recommend looking into our ProXS universal mufflers as they're aren't going to be too aggressive. You will just have to make sure that you have enough room to fit the muffler. Link: https://www.borla.com/products/mufflers/proxs.html

If you are interested in going this route, I recommend ordering from our distributors as they will have the better deal. You may also qualify for free shipping once you reach a certain amount.
What about something like your item number 400497 or 400130? Would they be okay choices for the 2.0L? Don't think I would be able to fit an oval shaped muffler in the spot I'm looking at, unless I would delete the factory resonator and place a ProXS in the same spot as the factory muffler.

OP
OP
Ian@Borla

Ian@Borla

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Borla
What about something like your item number 400497 or 400130? Would they be okay choices for the 2.0L? Don't think I would be able to fit an oval shaped muffler in the spot I'm looking at, unless I would delete the factory resonator and place a ProXS in the same spot as the factory muffler.
Part number 400497 could work, but it may be on the louder side. It's a small muffler with a case size of 10in x 5in and will be a bit more aggressive than the ProXS. 400130 is a big muffler with a case size of 24in x 6.75in so it will be very quiet. You'll also have to note the pipe diameter to make sure it matches the section of the stock system where you plan to install the muffler. 400497 is 2.5" and 400130 is 2.75".

Sponsored

Rub-ISH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 2.0t, 22 Volvo XC60 T8 ER, 06 Audi A3
Any update on the JLU touring climber? Figure its close but maybe there is a more concrete timeline?

haiducool

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Have been somewhat patiently waiting for the JLU touring climber as well..

Tabsteep

First Name
TB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2.0
Anyone have a video of the 2.0 turbo with the Borla ATAK?

virginia_is_for_rubis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Part number 400497 could work, but it may be on the louder side. It's a small muffler with a case size of 10in x 5in and will be a bit more aggressive than the ProXS. 400130 is a big muffler with a case size of 24in x 6.75in so it will be very quiet. You'll also have to note the pipe diameter to make sure it matches the section of the stock system where you plan to install the muffler. 400497 is 2.5" and 400130 is 2.75".
Ian, any idea when the touring climber for JLU 2.0 is going to be available? Also been waiting on this

Rub-ISH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 2.0t, 22 Volvo XC60 T8 ER, 06 Audi A3
I got tired of waiting this week so I just called Borla... who ever I talked to wasnt excited to discuss the touring climber exhaust with me. I mentioned this forum not having updates despite the test jeep posting reviews and he pretty much ok'd me into the end of the phone call

He did however say that it will be a couple of months till release... This in tuner speak could be true, or it could be the 2 more weeks standard answer of any one bringing something to market.

Good that its proceeding, bad that its still potentially so far out!

If its stainless steel I guess that could be the hold up...
Sponsored