Sponsored

Borla Exhaust for the 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL!

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
Are you going to sell the Borla? If so you can do it on here. They usually good for $375-400 depending in usage.
Yup, planning on selling it. I'll be traveling for a few weeks and will list it after that.
Sponsored

rlaracue

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Yup, planning on selling it. I'll be traveling for a few weeks and will list it after that.
Ok. Ping me about it. I need a rock crawler and compared to my droning Magnaflow this would be an improvement while I wait on Dynomax. My factory muffler is sold so I am screwed at the moment. :)

Bri01

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU MOAB, BMW X5 MSport
Vehicle Showcase
I believe this is a paint defect that Borla is aware of and they may replace the muffler. Copying @Lisa@Borla who sometimes monitors this forum for client issues and feedback. You can also message her.
Thank you. Borla already contacted me and will be sending me a replacement. Can't beat that customer service! (It is rare these days). I will post updated pics to come.

knick33

First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon (Ordered)
Hey folks, I had the benefit of having the S-Type on for about a month and just installed the ATAK a few days ago. I was one of those that could not distinguish the sounds/volume of the 2. After a few days I think I can add some details so you can better understand what to expect from each. The S-Type is definitely lower in tone and to me more noticeable in the cabin. The ATAK is not as low, but sounds a bit louder on the outside but seems to be quieter in the cabin, I think it has to do with the lower frequency or maybe I just have old ears. You can't go wrong with either one but after having both, I prefer the ATAK due lower interior sound but with enough bark on the exterior. I was a little confused and even looked at the muffler to make sure I didn't get the touring, but after hearing my jeep drive away I definitely noticed a louder rev.

Last point is at cold starts the S-Type is louder over all, not sure the science behind it but I would do the remote start from my bedroom and you can hear it start, I don't get that with the ATAK. ATAK seems more level sounding regardless. I hope this helps out some of you folks that are on the fence like I was.

rlaracue

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Hey folks, I had the benefit of having the S-Type on for about a month and just installed the ATAK a few days ago. I was one of those that could not distinguish the sounds/volume of the 2. After a few days I think I can add some details so you can better understand what to expect from each. The S-Type is definitely lower in tone and to me more noticeable in the cabin. The ATAK is not as low, but sounds a bit louder on the outside but seems to be quieter in the cabin, I think it has to do with the lower frequency or maybe I just have old ears. You can't go wrong with either one but after having both, I prefer the ATAK due lower interior sound but with enough bark on the exterior. I was a little confused and even looked at the muffler to make sure I didn't get the touring, but after hearing my jeep drive away I definitely noticed a louder rev.

Last point is at cold starts the S-Type is louder over all, not sure the science behind it but I would do the remote start from my bedroom and you can hear it start, I don't get that with the ATAK. ATAK seems more level sounding regardless. I hope this helps out some of you folks that are on the fence like I was.
If you are easy on the gas pedal can you keep the ATAK from barking too loud? I live in a family neighborhood with lots of hilly streets and need to be mindful of volume. I also hate loud interior sounds & drone.

Sponsored

knick33

First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon (Ordered)
If you are easy on the gas pedal can you keep the ATAK from barking too loud? I live in a family neighborhood with lots of hilly streets and need to be mindful of volume. I also hate loud interior sounds & drone.
I head out to the office at 6am every morning and it's a quiet purr through the neighborhood. I'm usually under 2k RPM at 25 MPH in 3/4 gear once i get moving. Like most other exhaust, you'll get use to the sound levels associated with your driving.

rlaracue

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I head out to the office at 6am every morning and it's a quiet purr through the neighborhood. I'm usually under 2k RPM at 25 MPH in 3/4 gear once i get moving. Like most other exhaust, you'll get use to the sound levels associated with your driving.

Thanks. Sadly that muffler is not available in their rock crawler setup.

jeepauug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL MOAB - STING GREY
I have the same issue with the black finish coming off the Touring muffler. Installed it Friday, by Sunday it’s peeling off :(

AE6269CD-27A6-48EF-A821-EF8A60CF2E57.jpeg
Same thing happened to me...Had mine on for about 3 weeks then just started pealing (left pipe). Bummed - love the look and sound (S-type). I dropped a line to the Borla folks - will see.

Ian@Borla

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Borla
Same thing happened to me...Had mine on for about 3 weeks then just started pealing (left pipe). Bummed - love the look and sound (S-type). I dropped a line to the Borla folks - will see.
I'm very sorry to hear that! How did you reach out to us? We want to make sure we get you taken care of. I would recommend getting in contact with our customer service manager. His email is [email protected].

Sponsored

rlaracue

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I had a custom exhaust put on today which gave the quiet rock crawler I wanted. Recall I had a Magnaflow Catback Rock Crawler system. It was throaty but had too much drone and even made my Jeep feel sluggish.

In any case after looking at just about everything I decided to replace the MF muffler (it really is a resonator) with a Borla ProXS universal muffler. 2.25"/2.25" center/offset muffler. In front of the Borla (which does not drone), I put in a 12" resonator from Vibrant.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E3VHVO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.borla.com/products/proxs_225_offsetcenter_14x425x788_muffler_part__40658.html

I kept the tailpipe section and some of the connecting pipe.

My exhaust guy tig welded most of the setup but clamped the front bit coming off the y-pipe.

I will post a video over the weekend but I can tell you the early returns are excellent. Decibels are maxing out at 74 but most of the time the Jeep stays in the 60s and gets into the 50s at idle. There is no drone, it's not loud and the car moves a bit easier IMO.

So for what it is worth if you have a capable exhaust shop near you and want a rock crawler for a daily driver this could be an option.

Parts: Borla Muffler $93, Vibrant 12" Resonator $48, Misc parts/weld material $85, Labor $240 What is missing is likely another $75 in making a custom tailpipe with bends. So all in this would be ~$540-570.

I was burned by dropping $385 (Black Friday Sale) on the MF crawler, $150 on dealer install. So $535 all in.

Had I done more research on this forum :) I would have built a system I wanted and saved over $500.

If you wanted something as quiet as stock you can go with the Vibrant quiet resonator.

https://www.amazon.com/Vibrant-1141...PM8AG278SVS&psc=1&refRID=WQW03A2BYPM8AG278SVS

jeepauug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL MOAB - STING GREY
I'm very sorry to hear that! How did you reach out to us? We want to make sure we get you taken care of. I would recommend getting in contact with our customer service manager. His email is [email protected].
Thanks! I did connect with Chris and he's taking care of this! Seems some early units had this issue. Other than the hassle, I do love the sound and look - hopefully replacement does the trick. Great customer service and standing behind the product.

mpk1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Hello all! Here is a quick clip from R&D of our JLU Wrangler Climber Cat-Back system for the 3.6L V6.

Sound good, not overwhelming. I bought this couple weeks ago. Waiting for my new jeep to be shipped then all the custom works begin including installing this Cat Back S type

Borla.jpg
Sponsored