Sponsored

Borla Exhaust for the 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL!

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
The touring muffler is still on the quiet side. If I were to break-down the decision to purchase new exhaust into percentages, I'd say that 70% was to have dual tail pipes and 30% was to increase the rumble. The dual pipe preference is purely aesthetic. I'm not looking to drop weight or increase horsepower, etc. I just like how they look. Regarding the rumble, the stock set-up was so quiet that there were times, with the windows up and maybe some tunes playing, that I couldn't hear anything at all. When you add ESS to the mix, it was like sensory deprivation, and totally different from my other vehicles. So, to start, I wanted to hear the exhaust at idle. Check. Next, I wanted just a little more rumble while spinning up through the gears and maybe a pop or two when decelerating. Not too much to ask, huh? The touring exhaust does that without being over-the-top. It takes the volume up just enough that the exhaust is the primary sound, not gears and wind. Last, it couldn't be too loud for my wife. She's not the ostentatious type (loves her subaru!) but the Jeep is for both of us, so the touring version was a terrific compromise.
Good info. I think that does it for me, I am going to wait and see if Borla offers the cat back climber exhaust with a touring muffler. I want the offroad benefits of the climber but only looking for limited improvements in loudness yet better sound quality.
Sponsored

knick33

First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon (Ordered)
I'm still on the fence with my decision and go back and forth between the ATAK and S Type. I called Borla and they said it was about a 10db difference which isn't much, but described the S Type as deeper. Can you guys share why you went with one or the other? I've watched/heard so many videos they are all starting to sound the same.

robd1438

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU MOAB
Vehicle Showcase
I'm still on the fence with my decision and go back and forth between the ATAK and S Type. I called Borla and they said it was about a 10db difference which isn't much, but described the S Type as deeper. Can you guys share why you went with one or the other? I've watched/heard so many videos they are all starting to sound the same.
I should be getting my S-Type installed within the next 2 weeks, will post some videos once done.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
I understand your dilemma. You can’t go by any video sound.
I got the S-type and it is very quiet. Just a low growl. Really nice but if you want to make noise and get people to turn their heads I think you got to go with the Atak.

Sponsored

knick33

First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon (Ordered)
I understand your dilemma. You can’t go by any video sound.
I got the S-type and it is very quiet. Just a low growl. Really nice but if you want to make noise and get people to turn their heads I think you got to go with the Atak.
I ordered the Atak and at the last minute had them change it to the SType. I installed it today and couldn't be happier, I wanted deep but not super loud. My teenage years are far behind me so this was a great fit. The best part is getting rid of the tin can which for me was an eye sore.

easterr

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep CJ7
I installed the cat back touring exhaust. Except at first start when a bit cold, it’s almost the same as stock, just slightly more rumble. My wife hasn’t driven yet, so that’ll be the true test. I am very happy with the result - Louder when it should be and not loud when it shouldn’t be.

Had a tough time getting the stock exhaust off. Used lubricant and an exhaust hanger removal tool which worked well for the hangers. Separatimg the muffler pipe from the mod pipe was the hard part.

knick33

First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon (Ordered)
I installed the cat back touring exhaust. Except at first start when a bit cold, it’s almost the same as stock, just slightly more rumble. My wife hasn’t driven yet, so that’ll be the true test. I am very happy with the result - Louder when it should be and not loud when it shouldn’t be.

Had a tough time getting the stock exhaust off. Used lubricant and an exhaust hanger removal tool which worked well for the hangers. Separatimg the muffler pipe from the mod pipe was the hard part.

knick33

First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon (Ordered)
I had to lay directly on the ground, the creeper kept moving on me!

easterr

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep CJ7
Yeah, I was on the floor also, and sore for 2 days from pulling and twisting.

Sponsored

JLJoy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLU 3.0 Diesel
Ordered the Touring model today. Wife is not a fan of louder exhaust and I am mainly wanting it for the looks as I don't belive performance will be enhanced. Can't wait to put it on.

JLJoy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLU 3.0 Diesel
Received my exhaust earlier this week. Tried to install myself, but the pipe would not fit over the mid pipe.....very frustrating. Took it to a muffler shop to have it expanded. This split the pipe as we were trying to get it to the same size as the stock exhaust. They had me bring the Jeep in and they installed for me. Put the exhaust on, welded the split and put a nice big clamp on, so no leaks thank goodness. Quite aggravating after spending $600. Also noticed after getting home that on the inside of the tip, the paint was peeling. I would certainly inspect closely before installing if you buy one of these.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
I don't know how many times I've mentioned the DYNOMAX TURBO muffler(FORUM VENDOR)-

20 minute installation and "SWEET SOUND"-ESPECIALLY WITH THE TOP OFF-

W.E.

JIMBO

rlaracue

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Round 2 Boys and Girls,

Please click the link below to get to my IG page. If it doesn't work, go ahead and find me by searching for my handle Twisted_Jigger805. Remember the sounds were taken with an iPhone so they are not as loud as they would be in person. Hope this helps until @Lisa@Borla and her team can upload professional ones.

The videos are in this order.
1st Video - standing still exterior of the jeep with a semi cold start (I had to find some room in the parking lot)
2nd video - accelerating interior of the jeep with windows down
3rd video - accelerating interior of the jeep with windows up
4th video - at speed interior of the jeep with windows up

See you on the trails!

P.S. Don't phone and drive..... ;)
Thanks for these. I am trying to decide between this S-type catback or the Afe Mach Force XP Hi Tuck catback. I want deep & consistent versus burst of too loud. So a smooth delivery of sound.

@Lisa@Borla

Have you ever run a phone decibel meter during the 4 different tests you did?

Thanks.

rlaracue

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Search the earlier posts in this thread. There’s a dude with a link to his Instagram that has like 4 different videos. The exhaust sounds great and his videos are the reason why I opted for this system.

I’m replacing a super droney Magnaflow system with this one.
How do you like the Borla compared to the MF? I have the MF catback and its loud and can drone.

How would characterize the Borla's sound at idle and accelerating?

Thanks
Sponsored