Borla Climber Touring exhaust installed on 2.0L JLUR

Buddy Lee

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Installed the Borla Climber Touring exhaust on my JL 2.0. I was concerned about a loud or droning exhaust but this system is great. It opens up the rear of the Jeep and is nice and quite, with a slight growl. I used some self adhesive insulation and installed it to the body above the muffler location. If your on on the fence about an exhaust system, donā€™t be afraid to install this one.
3F4F29E0-4603-45FD-B5A4-4E2236488806.jpeg
95CF2C46-AAF7-4703-8764-D6620522F875.jpeg
3524FEE1-919E-4A36-91F1-311FCB71F2C5.jpeg
A2D232AC-2698-4E74-90EF-B3C82C9FFFA8.jpeg
158733CE-DBA6-462A-8587-9BF20DCEC58A.jpeg
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Installed the Borla Climber Touring exhaust on my JL 2.0. I was concerned about a loud or droning exhaust but this system is great. It opens up the rear of the Jeep and is nice and quite, with a slight growl. I used some self adhesive insulation and installed it to the body above the muffler location. If your on on the fence about an exhaust system, donā€™t be afraid to install this one.
Jeep Wrangler JL Borla Climber Touring exhaust installed on 2.0L JLUR 158733CE-DBA6-462A-8587-9BF20DCEC58A
Jeep Wrangler JL Borla Climber Touring exhaust installed on 2.0L JLUR 158733CE-DBA6-462A-8587-9BF20DCEC58A
Thanks for sharing! This system is the only one on my radar. Just curious about one thing. How much louder is it during high idle cold starts? Thanks!

OP
OP
Buddy Lee

Buddy Lee

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for sharing! This system is the only one on my radar. Just curious about one thing. How much louder is it during high idle cold starts? Thanks!
Just slightly louder. The 2.0 is definitely louder than other engines at start up but the Climber exhaust was only slightly louder than stock even at start up.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just slightly louder. The 2.0 is definitely louder than other engines at start up but the Climber exhaust was only slightly louder than stock even at start up.
Thanks again, Victor!

And welcome to the community!

Sponsored

TimnTexas

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Blackbear
Great write up and thank you for proactively sharing this info. I was looking at Borla Touring vs Corsa as my options because I am looking for a mild sound change.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I've been running one since it came out and it's great. No clunks or contact on pretty harsh off road trails and cleans up the ass end a lot.

On cold start it's a bit louder but as soon as it comes off high idle or you start to drive you don't notice it.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Just ordered one, and it'll be on my doorstep on the 9th.
WD40 or other penetrating oil in the slip joints on the factory exhaust just before the axle will make the removal much easier even if it seems like you won't need it.

I taught my son some new 4 letter word combinations trying to get my slips disconnected without lube as they felt loose, before spraying them, waiting 15 minutes, and they slipped off like butter.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
WD40 or other penetrating oil in the slip joints on the factory exhaust just before the axle will make the removal much easier even if it seems like you won't need it.

I taught my son some new 4 letter word combinations trying to get my slips disconnected without lube as they felt loose, before spraying them, waiting 15 minutes, and they slipped off like butter.
After watching a couple of install videos, I grabbed a pair of exhaust hanger plyers. Between those and some wd40, I should be able to make short work of the swap. It was painful to watch one guy wielding a screwdriver, while his buddy was wrestling with both hand and foot to wiggle it out. Lol!

Thanks, buddy!

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
The instructions say to remove the cross member for installation. Is the cross member reinstalled once the exhaust is installed? I don't want to lose any structural reinforcement.

OP
OP
Buddy Lee

Buddy Lee

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The instructions say to remove the cross member for installation. Is the cross member reinstalled once the exhaust is installed? I don't want to lose any structural reinforcement.
You donā€™t remove the transfer case cross member. You remove the rear skid plate cross member. It has nothing to do with structural integrity. You will need to remove it to get out the front section of the factory exhaust.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
After watching a couple of install videos, I grabbed a pair of exhaust hanger plyers. Between those and some wd40, I should be able to make short work of the swap. It was painful to watch one guy wielding a screwdriver, while his buddy was wrestling with both hand and foot to wiggle it out. Lol!

Thanks, buddy!
I saw that video - I believe it was the one where they were kicking the muffler to get it out?

I also removed the hangar from the passenger rear side of the muffler that is no longer used and put the bolts back in to fill the holes to keep water/mud out of them.

Oh, and one of the guys on here cut the shit out of himself on the factory tail pipe. So I put duct tape over that to cover the sharp edge as my wife is a ER nurse and I don't like her stitching me up :lipssealed:

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I saw that video - I believe it was the one where they were kicking the muffler to get it out?

I also removed the hangar from the passenger rear side of the muffler that is no longer used and put the bolts back in to fill the holes to keep water/mud out of them.

Oh, and one of the guys on here cut the shit out of himself on the factory tail pipe. So I put duct tape over that to cover the sharp edge as my wife is a ER nurse and I don't like her stitching me up :lipssealed:
Yup, that's the one. šŸ˜†

Funny, while waiting on line to pay for some windshield washer fluid and the exhaust hanger plyers, I was wondering how many wouldn't need to be reused. Thanks for the heads up.

I also like putting hardware back in the original holes, even if it's no longer clamping something. Looks better and protects the threads, in case that location may serve a future purpose.

And yeah, icu nurse on my end as well, and as good as she is, I hate needles that don't leave tattoos. Hahaha!
Sponsored