Sponsored

BOOSTER ECU by Vaitrix | JL 2.0L Official Thread

EUROCOMPULSION

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLU (2.0L Turbo)
Introducing the Booster ECU piggyback tuning unit for the Wrangler JL 2.0L Turbo. We have multiple models of the Booster ECU, but in the case of the 2.0L Turbo engine, only two of these models are applicable. This includes the Basic and the Pro model.

For most, the Basic model will satisfy all needs for modification and performance. The Pro has a slightly faster processor, but is really only different in (2) ways:

- End User tuning capability (using the Air Force Tuning Software and the USB tuning cable)
- Methanol system tuning and control capabilities (the Pro harness has extra connections to integrate a methanol system. We are currently developing one for this platform, and with our components it is completely plug and play, but can also be integrated with other brand kits should someone decide to use them)

All of the information below and mapping is the same on both units except for the (2) differences above, which will be highlighted in more detail further in the post.

Booster_PRO_6f76a31c-524b-46cb-8426-3a5ecf10bf3a_2048x.jpg

INTRODUCTION:

The Vaitrix Booster ECU is designed and manufactured in house. What makes this unit unique to other piggyback units is how it can be mapped and tuned. Instead of using a traditional 2D axis for tuning, it uses a 3D axis for total mapping control. It can read boost signal voltage according to RPM and load, allowing mapping at all throttle positions, boost ouputs, and engine rpm. This enables our mapping to improve peak power and torque without compromising drivability, and it also allows us to map low and part throttle accurately to improve drivability. In addition to this, it has automatic shut off features and disables the values in the mapping to 0 (which allows the stock signal to pass) if the unit loses power or is disconnected from a sensor.

The RPM connection is important in this regard, as it allows tuning of Boost to vary by RPM. This means you can actually change the stock boost curve with our unit, creating a different powerband suited more to your performance application or activities. Units without this ability are simply adding a boost value to the stock curve, moving it up or down by a pre-determined amount, unable to vary the values across the rpm range in specific places and not in other places.

The Booster ECU is comprised of a control module, a universal harness, and a vehicle specific harness that connects to sensors on the engine. The vehicle specific harness connects to the MAP sensor, the Boost sensor on the intercooler piping (before the throttle), and the Cam Position Sensor.

The Universal harness connects to the Booster ECU, and also has additional connectors for various uses (the Pro has additional connectors for methanol system operation). Both model harnesses have a connector for USB, and to power a bluetooth module.

Both models have Bluetooth functionality, and can be connected to our mobile app, Air Force Go. This is available for Android devices, and it is working for iOS at the moment, but the map upload speeds are slower than desired. We are working on speeding that up so it can be officially released.

The Air Force Go app allows you to switch between maps on your Booster unit, and also allows you to restore the Booster to stock settings at anytime. From the app, you can also download additional maps from the Vaitrix cloud server for your vehicle, and upload them to the Booster. Each unit has its own cloud space, and all maps you download are stored in that cloud space. This makes using the app on multiple devices simple, as your information will always appear when you connect to your unit.

For USB connection, this is only necessary if you plan to purchase the Pro unit and intend to create your own maps using the Air Force Tuning Software. This is a PC compatible program, and allows you to create your own map calibrations and upload them to your Booster. It also has connection to the cloud server as well to download maps we've created. You can build off of these are write your own entirely.

In regards to self tuning, the boost curve on the 2.0L JL is relatively flat without much change across the rpm range. This is ideal for end user tuning, as it makes creating your own adjustments to the curve very simple and effective.

Both the software and the app have various logging capabilities that allow you to see information from the sensors in real time voltages (they can also have various inputs connected to them as well). This feature is really only useful for troubleshooting or map development if you are a Pro user. The PC software is more in depth in regards to viewing data in real time.

Both the Bluetooth functionality and USB Tuning cable can be added to your unit at the time of purchase (the USB tuning cable is only applicable to those that purchase the Pro).

TO PURCHASE:
BASIC - https://vaitrixusa.com/collections/...booster-basic-ecu-jeep-wrangler-jl-2-0l-turbo
PRO - https://vaitrixusa.com/collections/...s/booster-pro-ecu-jeep-wrangler-jl-2-0l-turbo

APPLICATION

• ALL JEEP WRANGLER JL 2.0L TURBO models

SPECIFICATIONS:

| BOOSTER ECU | Overview and Specifications
| INSTALLATION | Instructions (2.0L TURBO)
| TESTING | Dyno Test/Acceleration Tests
| AIR FORCE SOFTWARE | Overview and Instructions
| BLUETOOTH COMPATIBLE | Add BT Module Adapter via drop down menu, or purchase at a later date.
(1) Map included with purchase.
| USB TUNING CABLE | can be added to purchase via menu (required for end user tuning, Pro users only)
| MAP CLOUD DOWNLOADS | Additional stages/maps can be purchased from AIR FORCE TUNING cloud using a GUID CODE (purchased here).

We have a great deal of information and videos in our technical section on the Air Force Software and Booster ECU (also on our youtube channel).

TESTING INFORMATION (linked above also)

104-_nc_ohc-vokoftp7in4aqmp8zyfnu9wgmqs4oswtvyhczjvjzb8ujmi927znvzm6a-_nc_ht-scontent-dfw5-2-jpg.jpg

All of our testing information is located HERE.

Dyno testing was performed on a Dimsport HLS 4WD dyno setup, 91 octane and STD corrections.

WranglerJL2L_VTX_STG_1_whp.png

This includes Dyno testing, AFR testing, and acceleration testing with the Booster (also in video below).

We plan to continue development on additional maps, as we are currently developing multiple intake systems and possibly exploring further what we may be able to benefit from using our methanol components.
Sponsored

209hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Custom vehicle builder
Does your piggyback setup allow you to turn off rear o2 sensor to address check engine light for catless downpipe setups?

Also, any insight why the Alfa 2.0 has much larger gains on your tune vs FCA 2.0?

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I’m looking forward to testing this soon. The boost gauge looks nice also, trying to figure out how I would integrate it to have a more factory look.

Turbo_punkn

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
So I just ordered the boost gauge. I’m curious now, if the boost gauge uses some of the same connectors as the tuner, how does it all work together? Do I have to choose one or the other? Definitely interested in the tuner down the road with the methanol system.

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
So I just ordered the boost gauge. I’m curious now, if the boost gauge uses some of the same connectors as the tuner, how does it all work together? Do I have to choose one or the other? Definitely interested in the tuner down the road with the methanol system.
Any connections that would be shared will have a splitter. Your boost gauge likely is a pigtail and the original connectors just join in.

Sponsored

OP
OP
EUROCOMPULSION

EUROCOMPULSION

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does your piggyback setup allow you to turn off rear o2 sensor to address check engine light for catless downpipe setups?

Also, any insight why the Alfa 2.0 has much larger gains on your tune vs FCA 2.0?
No, that is something that would really only be possible with an ECU tune if you want to do it effectively and comprehensively. We did this on the Giulia (although we did not turn the sensor off, we were able to optimize the heating thresholds so that it leaves the sensor on but does not throw the typical DTC that you get, P0420).

On your second question, not sure where you're seeing that the Alfa gained more. Gains on the JL 2.0L were actually greater than what we achieved on the Giulia. This is mostly down to the Wrangler's boost curve being different than the Giulia, there's more to work with in regards to peak and maintaining that peak throughout the rpm range.

OP
OP
EUROCOMPULSION

EUROCOMPULSION

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m looking forward to testing this soon. The boost gauge looks nice also, trying to figure out how I would integrate it to have a more factory look.
I really wanted to figure out a way to use the factory AC vent just below where we mounted it on the dash, but we haven't had time to look into that more just yet. Also considered using an A Pillar pod or mount, but you'd lose the "oh s**t" handle.

OP
OP
EUROCOMPULSION

EUROCOMPULSION

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rploaded is correct. The harness for the gauge uses the same connector as the Booster ECU for the manifold sensor. You will use both of them if you have both, but they just need to be installed in a specific order so that the gauge receives accurate information but the signal is still being relayed through the harness to the sensor from the piggyback.

We have this in the installation instructions, it will look something like this:
Factory Sensor (Female) --- to ---> Boost Gauge Connector (Male) --------> Boost Gauge Connector (Female)----- to ------>Booster ECU connector (Male)--------->Booster ECU connector (Female)----- to ------->Factory Harness Connector (Male)

It's designed to all work together.

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I really wanted to figure out a way to use the factory AC vent just below where we mounted it on the dash, but we haven't had time to look into that more just yet. Also considered using an A Pillar pod or mount, but you'd lose the "oh s**t" handle.
I have some pretty neat ideas. I think some vent work or a custom pod.

Turbo_punkn

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
@VaitrixUSA how much extra wire did you have after you mounted the gauge in that position? I’m wondering if there is enough to put it on the center of the dash.

Sponsored

OP
OP
EUROCOMPULSION

EUROCOMPULSION

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@VaitrixUSA how much extra wire did you have after you mounted the gauge in that position? I’m wondering if there is enough to put it on the center of the dash.
We're including about 7 feet total wiring, so you can pretty much move the gauge anywhere on the dash. In your case, I answered your PM, get back to me when it's convenient for you.

OP
OP
EUROCOMPULSION

EUROCOMPULSION

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Quick question for 2.0L owners as I cannot find much information in regards to real world experience on throttle/pedal controllers for this platform. I know there are a few on the market, but I've only been able to find a thread or two (on another forum) about end user experience and they did not seem to be happy with the results.

We are developing a pedal module (Digipedal) for this particular 2.0L. The harness/connector is the same as the one we use on the Giulia, but there is a variable on the Wrangler that is not present on the Alfa. About 95% of the time, the module amplifies the pedal signal as designed, but on occasion when going WOT and the transmission aggressively downshifts (for example from 4th to 2nd) the signal from the module at this particular moment over amplifies the stock pedal signal, and temporarily shows a throttle light.

Turning down the sensitivity of the calibration fixes the issue, but also weakens the module's effects on pedal response (so much so to the point it feels like it's not achieving much at all).

Have any 2.0L owners experienced this with a pedal module, or felt lack luster results? This may render itself a moot point as many of you may not have the desire for such an add-on (after all, you can just press the pedal down further) but there are a few features that may be useful on the unit if we can get it to work effectively without sacrificing the end results.

Turbo_punkn

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Quick question for 2.0L owners as I cannot find much information in regards to real world experience on throttle/pedal controllers for this platform. I know there are a few on the market, but I've only been able to find a thread or two (on another forum) about end user experience and they did not seem to be happy with the results.

We are developing a pedal module (Digipedal) for this particular 2.0L. The harness/connector is the same as the one we use on the Giulia, but there is a variable on the Wrangler that is not present on the Alfa. About 95% of the time, the module amplifies the pedal signal as designed, but on occasion when going WOT and the transmission aggressively downshifts (for example from 4th to 2nd) the signal from the module at this particular moment over amplifies the stock pedal signal, and temporarily shows a throttle light.

Turning down the sensitivity of the calibration fixes the issue, but also weakens the module's effects on pedal response (so much so to the point it feels like it's not achieving much at all).

Have any 2.0L owners experienced this with a pedal module, or felt lack luster results? This may render itself a moot point as many of you may not have the desire for such an add-on (after all, you can just press the pedal down further) but there are a few features that may be useful on the unit if we can get it to work effectively without sacrificing the end results.
you know what, I just read something on a Facebook group yesterday about someone having that issue. The had the pedal controller from madness auto works. Let me find it.

Turbo_punkn

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Unfortunately I couldn’t find the post. Anyway if you need someone to test yours out I’d help you.
Sponsored