DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
We read the same thing about Richlands Rd. on another Wrangler forum. One guy was there one week ago and a local came out to his Jeep and started in on the guy. It wasn't until the guy moved his jacket to reveal his pistol that the local backed off.
My understanding is the local property owners are sick of the noise and drunk idiots.

We did take Sampson Rd. but that was a huge let down. Beautiful views but only a gravel road. There was one turn off onto Percy Creek (private road) and it WAS VERY CLEARLY MARKED that you needed to be respectful on the road and have permission from one of the property owners that the road goes through.
I ran into a local 18 year old and he said he had been on numerous times w/out permission.

Regarding Hurricane Creek... my in-laws live right there off exit 15 on 40W. Pass exit 15 and I'm pretty sure you go through a tunnel and then there is a guardrail on the right. At the end of that guard rail you turn onto a dirt road. Usually there is some kind of marker hanging from the tree to show you.
It's a great trail thought I'm not certain a stock Jeep would be ok in all parts. I went on it in a 3" lift w/ 35s last time. Next time at the in-laws will need to check out.
I was on Hurricane Creek Road in October and it would be easy for a stock Wrangler. There was an old mountain man hunting bears back there in an old 70's Ford 4wd with bald tires and he had no trouble. I didn't even have to engage 4wd in my JK. Anyway, it is a fun road and the mountain top with a 360 view is amazing. I can't remember the name of it, though. Depending on the rainfall, you might have a couple water crossings that could get a little deep, but still probably fine for a stock JL.

I didn't find anyone unfriendly back there, but a Glock 20 with Underwood ammo makes me feel sound as a pound in regards to both four and two legged critters. I don't go to the mountains or forests without it.
Sponsored

JB3

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi SQ5, Jeep JLU
How much time did it take you to complete Hurricane Creek? It looks like an out and back versus a loop, right?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
How much time did it take you to complete Hurricane Creek? It looks like an out and back versus a loop, right?
Well, we didn't go in and out. We ran it, then went to that mountain top, then took scenic roads back to Pigeon Forge, where we were staying. It is hard to say how long it took because we stopped a few times so my kids could play in little waterfalls by the trail and find interesting rocks. So, we took our sweet time. I'd say allow 1/2 day. We took most of a day because we came from and to Pigeon Forge, and spent a bit of time on that mountain top. I really wish I could remember the name of it. It gives a 360 view of the Smokies and is just breathtaking.

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Well, we didn't go in and out. We ran it, then went to that mountain top, then took scenic roads back to Pigeon Forge, where we were staying. It is hard to say how long it took because we stopped a few times so my kids could play in little waterfalls by the trail and find interesting rocks. So, we took our sweet time. I'd say allow 1/2 day. We took most of a day because we came from and to Pigeon Forge, and spent a bit of time on that mountain top. I really wish I could remember the name of it. It gives a 360 view of the Smokies and is just breathtaking.
Pretty sure you're referring to Max Patch.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
My in-laws live 20 mins from Max Patch, been there numerous times and it's great. So there are two ways from a main road to get to it on the NC side. The first, coming from Raleigh and heading west is to take exit 15 off I40W and make a right onto Fines Creek Rd and Fines Creek Rd will end at Max Patch Rd and you make a left onto Max Patch Rd
The second is exit 7 (pretty sure) on I40W, then make a right onto Cold Spring Creek Rd, follow that to Max Patch Road and make a left and take it up to Max Patch. On Cold Spring Creek Rd there are places to camp and weather permitting that's where I will be Saturday.

Both of these ways will take you to Max Patch coming up due North on the NC side. You can come up from the Tennessee side and the way to know if you have come up from the Tenn side is you will see a small trout pond on your left just before you get to the Max Patch "parking lot". I've only ever gone that way once and it was a long ride, mostly because I had no idea where I was. Round Mountain Rd in Tenn is what takes you to Max Patch Rd.

All of that being said... there are a ton of side roads and trails on the way to the top of Max Patch. Anyone know of any of these to be fun?

Also, agreed... even though Max Patch Rd is mostly stone it is in no need of using 4x4 but you can see some of the side roads do need it. The view from the top is stunning.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hurricane Creek Rd would only require 4 wheel drive if there were heavy rain or really bad weather. There is nothing on that road that is too difficult. It is fun, however.

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Found it! I've been on that in my daughter's Jeep. Lot's of fun, you get on it literally off of I40W as soon as you come out of the tunnel and then it's at the end of the guard rail.

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door
Found it! I've been on that in my daughter's Jeep. Lot's of fun, you get on it literally off of I40W as soon as you come out of the tunnel and then it's at the end of the guard rail.
Would it be any problem in a stock Rubicon? I don't plan on lifting.

Sponsored

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think so. My daughter has a 3 or 4" lift and we caught a tire in the wheel well but that's because I went over a huge rock. There was a smother path next to it I could have taken. From what I remember anytime there was a challenging spot there was always a smoother way around it.
Also so a very interesting site, some dude in a tent who clearly had set up an area as his area, roped off the entry to it, scowling look, pitbull and huge Rebel flag. I simply nodded to him and went on my merry way.
Next time the pistol goes with me :)

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Would it be any problem in a stock Rubicon? I don't plan on lifting.
It won't be a problem at all. It won't challenge a Rubicon one bit. A stock Rubi is a badass off road, but this trail is easy. Lots of fun.

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
DanW, after reading your posts it would appear that you started Hurricane Trail right off I40W like I described, then ultimately made your way to Max Patch. Is that correct? When I ran it I turned right onto it off I40W.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
DanW, after reading your posts it would appear that you started Hurricane Trail right off I40W like I described, then ultimately made your way to Max Patch. Is that correct? When I ran it I turned right onto it off I40W.
Yep!

JB3

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi SQ5, Jeep JLU
Just did Hurricane Creek trail today in JLUR with 35s and 2” lift. Light deflation for the tires is helpful but most of the trails are very stock friendly at HWY tire pressure. My friend has a 4 runner TRD Trail Premium and he got stuck on one hill climb in a steep slick portion.

Lot’s of fun overall. I’d budget 2 hours for one way if you are crawling. There is a lot more territory to explore on the way to Max Patch summit in addition to some side offshoots along the way to Max Patch Road.

To get on the trail head at I-40, it is roughly .25 mile past mile post 8 on the north side of the interstate. Once you see you the Harmon Den sign (exit 7) to turn if immediately, less than 40 feet past it. Be ready to turn off immediately after the sign.
Sponsored