Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
The Mrs. and I are heading up to Boone & Blowing Rock NC this weekend to do some hiking and get the new Jeep on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Does anyone one know of any EASY off road trails that the Mrs. can have some fun on driving? Hopefully when I get behind the wheel I won't get it stuck again :)
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Ah, I gotta get mine on the parkway and drop the top.

jeffrey4x4

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson FLSTC
The Mrs. and I are heading up to Boone & Blowing Rock NC this weekend to do some hiking and get the new Jeep on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Does anyone one know of any EASY off road trails that the Mrs. can have some fun on driving? Hopefully when I get behind the wheel I won't get it stuck again :)
Good timing! I am heading that way next month and looking for the same info.

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Old NC 105 is just south of Blowing Rock. It's a gravel two lane but has some amazing views. Should be a nice and relaxing outing. If you want to go up, take 126 out of Morganton and you'll come to a hard right onto Old NC 105. You'll end up in Linville Falls. If you want to go down, start in Linville Falls off 183.

If you're up for a longer drive and something a little more difficult, check out Hurricane Creek Road off of 40 near the NC/Tennessee line. Before you go, google Hurricane Creek trail/road - it will show you exactly where to turn off 40 west. It's not marked and REALLY easy to miss. If you do, you'll have to drive all the way to Tennessee before you can turn around and try again.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Subscribed. I try to get up to the NC mountains to hike about once a month from April to October. I won't have my Jeep yet in April (or likely May) but I'd like to find some easy trails with nice views for when I get it.

Salty Rubi

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon

Google Richlands Rd. trail. Its about 8 miles outside of Blowing Rock and is an unmaintained state rd. It has a couple of places that are challenging to me, but I am a offered beginner.

Salty Rubi

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Google Richlands Rd. trail. Its about 8 miles outside of Blowing Rock and is an unmaintained state rd. It has a couple of places that are challenging to me, but I am a offered beginner.
Also forgot to say that the viaduct on the parkway is closed for a couple of months so you will need to take detour around it.

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I thought about mentioning Richlands Road but it's been pretty nasty up there at times. There are numerous reports of people having run-ins with locals who don't want you there. The road itself is public property but anything off either side is private and from what I've heard, people don't take kindly to folks straying off the road.

I haven't been up there in years but I never felt like I could relax and enjoy the road because I was worried about who I may cross paths with.

Your experience may have been different or things may have changed but I don't think I'd feel comfortable taking my wife and kids there.

Salty Rubi

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
I thought about mentioning Richlands Road but it's been pretty nasty up there at times. There are numerous reports of people having run-ins with locals who don't want you there. The road itself is public property but anything off either side is private and from what I've heard, people don't take kindly to folks straying off the road.

I haven't been up there in years but I never felt like I could relax and enjoy the road because I was worried about who I may cross paths with.

Your experience may have been different or things may have changed but I don't think I'd feel comfortable taking my wife and kids there.
I have read some of the same reports. I even read a report about an orv meth lab being deep down there at one point. I have been through there several times in the last month with my wife and kids and haven't seen anything. I ran into some razor side x side guys and another guy in a jeep. I do strictly stay on the trail and don't veer off of it. We have had a great time but you are right. It is a bit unnerving to think about how far out you are. If something would go wrong, help is nowhere near.

Sponsored

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
We read the same thing about Richlands Rd. on another Wrangler forum. One guy was there one week ago and a local came out to his Jeep and started in on the guy. It wasn't until the guy moved his jacket to reveal his pistol that the local backed off.
My understanding is the local property owners are sick of the noise and drunk idiots.

We did take Sampson Rd. but that was a huge let down. Beautiful views but only a gravel road. There was one turn off onto Percy Creek (private road) and it WAS VERY CLEARLY MARKED that you needed to be respectful on the road and have permission from one of the property owners that the road goes through.
I ran into a local 18 year old and he said he had been on numerous times w/out permission.

Regarding Hurricane Creek... my in-laws live right there off exit 15 on 40W. Pass exit 15 and I'm pretty sure you go through a tunnel and then there is a guardrail on the right. At the end of that guard rail you turn onto a dirt road. Usually there is some kind of marker hanging from the tree to show you.
It's a great trail thought I'm not certain a stock Jeep would be ok in all parts. I went on it in a 3" lift w/ 35s last time. Next time at the in-laws will need to check out.

Luco

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 GMC 2500 HD, 2010 Seneca Motorhome on Chevrolet C5500
There are several forestry roads off of the Parkway that are easy rides. Old 105 is good too. Lots of rain and slides in that area. I don't know if it washed out any of the road.

JB3

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi SQ5, Jeep JLU
I'm going to hit Hurricane Creek for the first time this weekend; that's assuming I can find it. I've heard it's past mile marker 8 on the right side of the road as you head west on I-40. Is that accurate?

I'll be in a JLUR with a friend in a 4Runner trail edition. I have 35s, 2" lift, winch and a tow strap. I might pickup a saw or axe for the trip.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
This is a list I have been putting together for the NC mountains. I haven't been to any of these. A few are already mentioned on this thread.

So if anyone has experience with the others, please let us know.

Brown Mountain - see above
Richland Rd - see above
Hurricane Creek Trail - see above
Curtis Creek Road
Parsons Branch Road
Patriot Mountain Offroad Park

Newly added from this thread (see above):
Old 105
Sampson Road

JB3

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi SQ5, Jeep JLU
Assuming everything works out I will post a trip report next week on Hurricane Creek.

We should have a similar tread for central and coastal NC too. Most know of Uwharrie but beyond that info seems scattered and sparse.
Sponsored