Book of Dealership Horror stories

KrzybonesJLU

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Thought this would be appropriate subject title considering what month it is.

First I'd like to say that I don't believe in bad dealerships/Service Departments I believe in just poor work integrity or work ethics or something along those lines. Regardless I am sure you get what I mean. I'd also like to make a point that I am fully capable of doing my own oil changes and I have been ever since. But since I have the service of the Jeep Wave program for the next year or so I will take advantage of it and provide work for the hard working employees that keep this country mobile.
This is my first and hope only horrible service experience.

I made an appointment to get my Jeep serviced over at Jstar Motors in Anaheim CA. Like a lot of us or at least I assume we all do our research on service departments. This place is a ehhh on the reviews but I decided to take the chance anyway. First round with this place was great, got in got out and was happy(that's what she said). But this time around it just wasn't meant to be. Once I got my car back I drove literally down the street to grab breakfast. As I was grabbing my food the guy at the window tells me that my car smoking and smelled like burning oil. I thought nothing of it and just told the guy that I had it serviced and probably just burning off some spilled oil. The second I pulled out of the drive through a giant cloud of white smoke came out of the engine. I stopped open the hood and all I saw was oil spraying out of something and I instantly shut the hood and start driving back to the service department---

To make a long ramble short after handing over my jeep in a very controlled pissed off manner the head service manger comes out with my oil filter cap and shows my a torn O-ring. I simply ask the guy how does something like this get missed? "Did your guy not test drive or even check everything before handing over the Jeep. The service manager voids the question and simply tells me that this is probably due to a defective O-ring or expired o-rings that they may have..... and that they will file this as a warranty issue and they will do a new oil change and get their "detail" guy to clean up the engine bay and underside. What annoyed me most about this whole situation is that the guy couldn't just take responsibility that his mechanic didn't do a quality job. Rather that he just did the job. Orings dont just bust on you. The guy either over torqued the cap and ripped or or didn't oil the o-ring before capping it back up. Seriously something like this shouldn't have happened if he had at least ran the car after pouring the oil and checking for leaks both around the plug and filter.

Anyway I just need to vent cause this has got me all paranoid now that oils gotten in all the nooks and crannies of the of the engine bay and what this could do to the seals and all that. Luckily I still have all my warranties and the Max care warranty.
Sponsored

kimmonia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Ford Explorer
How many miles? Makes me want to check my O ring....

OP
OP
KrzybonesJLU

KrzybonesJLU

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
if your O-ring went out you would know. But the O-ring on the filter cap is suppose to be replaced every oil change though. I did my oil change was done at 15kish

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
Yes!......and your new filter comes with a NEW o-ring to use.
Yeah, there's no excuse at a dealership for that - it's literally in the box with the new filter.

My son wanted to do the oil change on my wife's JLU yesterday. He crawls under and fights with the drain plug for a couple of minutes and then says, "Dad, this thing won't come off." I crawl under there, and sure enough, the drain plug was seriously overtightened. I wound up using an 18" breaker bar to get enough leverage and crack it loose. Guess who did the last oil change? And oh yeah, more than 5 quarts came out as well. Grrrrrr.....
Sponsored