Sponsored

Bolt-on steps to Rubicon rock rail?

The D

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Willys
I may be a little late with this reply, but I just installed a pair of these steps on my 2019 JLR this afternoon.

Here's a few pics for you.

Lund Step_1.jpg

Lund Step_3.jpg

Lund Step_4.jpg

Lund Step_6.jpg

Lund Step_5.jpg
How did you install these to your Jeep? This is exactly what I want to do to my Willys with the rock rail.
Sponsored

BadAssBumbleBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Rubicon, 2010 Callaway SC572 Camaro SS
How did you install these to your Jeep? This is exactly what I want to do to my Willys with the rock rail.
@The D, mounting the steps was pretty straight forward.

I drilled 4, 11 mm (7/16") holes into the bottom side of each of the stock Rubi Rock rails, inserted a stainless M8 Rivnut into each hole, then just bolted the steps on using the bolts, washers and lock washers that came with the steps.

I had to borrow a better Rivnut tool from a buddy because mine wasn't strong enough to compress the stainless Rivnuts

Here's a few more pics taken outdoors

IMG_20200411_132130.jpg

IMG_20200411_132144.jpg

IMG_20200411_132241.jpg

IMG_20200411_132325.jpg

shoebabe3

First Name
Shoe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TJ & 2020 JLUR
Glad I could help Rico1111.

The price was definitely a motivating factor, and the fact that they can be removed in under 5 minutes is awesome.
Hello, these look interesting. Where can I get these? Thx

HappyJeeper

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLURD, '09 Tundra 5.7 4x4, '21 Prius
Occupation
Soils engineering/geology
On my '13 JKUR, I had a place weld up these sliders on my stock rails.
I don't remember the brand, but I liked them. They can be used as a step.

DSCN5171_2.jpeg

DSCN5172.jpeg

Sponsored

BadAssBumbleBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

BadAssBumbleBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will these bolt on using the same bolts as the Rock Rail? Thanks for sharing the link.
Hi @shoebabe3, no these steps do not mount with the same bolts that are used for mounting the stock Rubicon Rock Rails to your Jeep. These steps are actually meant to be used with the Lund Rock rails, but I decided to try mounting them to the Rubicon Rock Rails instead and it worked. It did take some additional work on my part to get them installed, and if you want to do the same you would need to do the following;

- Mark the spot on the underside of the Rubicon Rock Rails where you want to mount these steps.

- Drill 4, 11 mm (7/16") holes into the bottom side of each of the stock Rubi Rock rails.

- Then you need to insert an M8 sized Rivnut into each hole that you just drilled. I used a stainless M8 Rivnut because those matched the size of the bolts included with the steps, but there are brass Rivnuts available as well.

- Once you have the Rivnuts inserted and compressed, you would use the bolts, washers and locking washers that come with the steps to mount them to the Rock Rails.

You'll need to use a good quality Rivnut tool to compress the stainless Rivnuts as they're a little stronger than the standard brass Rivnuts.

Mr.Smith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X

CNH Sugar

First Name
Cristin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Unlimited
I am looking for a step as well to use with the mopar performance rock rails. Not looking to replace these rock rails just need a step to attach to them. I am 5’11” but the dealer already lifted 2” with 35” general grabber M/T. And it is bit of a leap to get in it. For a daily driver need a little easier entry. Any options?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Na Kalohe

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Willys
I've been looking for these for my shorter better half also and they look great. Do they bolt onto the Rubi Rails or onto the body rails?

Dan in Pasadena

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
@The D, mounting the steps was pretty straight forward.

I drilled 4, 11 mm (7/16") holes into the bottom side of each of the stock Rubi Rock rails, inserted a stainless M8 Rivnut into each hole, then just bolted the steps on using the bolts, washers and lock washers that came with the steps.

I had to borrow a better Rivnut tool from a buddy because mine wasn't strong enough to compress the stainless Rivnuts

Here's a few more pics taken outdoors
Ok, WHY use stainless rivets when brass ones also resist rust just as well?

I'm also wondering if a thumb-style wing BOLT would work with a lock washer so that no tool would be required to remove these steps if you head off road?

BadAssBumbleBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok, WHY use stainless rivets when brass ones also resist rust just as well?

I'm also wondering if a thumb-style wing BOLT would work with a lock washer so that no tool would be required to remove these steps if you head off road?

I decided to go with the stainless Rivnuts because I thought they would provide a little added strength and some protection against the possibility of them stripping out compared to brass. At the time, the variety pack I purchased on Amazon was also $10 less than a similar package of brass Rivnuts.

You might be able to use a wing bolt or butterfly bolt if you can find one that fits the M8 Rivnut. I just used the bolts that came with the steps since they were included and they were grade 8.8 bolts.
Sponsored