Bolt-on steps to Rubicon rock rail?

BadAssBumbleBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Rubicon, 2010 Callaway SC572 Camaro SS
Are your steps still working well long term? Are they easily removed when off road? I am wondering about alternatives to riv nuts.

No real problems with the steps, but I did hit them with some Tremclad Rust paint last summer. The road salt they use up here wasn't nice to them.

It takes me about 15-20 minutes to undo the bolts and remove the steps but I usually take them off at home before I head out. I also put some trim panel retainer clips into the rivnuts to keep dirt and water from messing up the threads.
Sponsored

STW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR 2door 2.0T Rubicon stingrey

Gmanjeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
the only downside to the M.O.R.E. hide-a-step is that it seems expensive compared to other bolt-on steps. I didn't get them at first - about $160 per step - which is a lot if you have a four door and need one at each door.

I didn't get the M.O.R.E. at first for that reason, and tried other solutions, including steps you carry with you and then hang in the door way when you need them. I wasn't happy with any of those solutions and eventually bought the M.O.R.E. anyway. In my case, because the M.O.R.E. was the best solution for my Jeep, I should have just spent that money first.
I had the Rockslide Engineering power steps on a JTR I used to own. They work pretty well but they are expensive to buy and expensive to have installed. My wife was not wild about them because she Said they wobbled a bit when she was standing on them to load things into the back seat. I did not like the fact that if we did not completely shut a door, we would have to open it again to shut it harder (which my wife did a lot) resulting in the step going up and down a couple of times in quick succession. Mine also had, as I recall, a shock go out after a a year and a half or so. RSE quickly sent me a replacement, but I had to pay someone to install it. The MORE step looks good. It is expensive, but my big concern was whether it would be awkward to sort of use your foot to get it down and then step up. I have a JLR so I would have to only buy two. I am adding the Rubicon X take off wheels and tires (BFG 315s) and maybe a Teraflex spacer lift. Both my wife and I are vertically challenged and we are both “mature” so I am anticipating the need for some kind of step.

Gmanjeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
No real problems with the steps, but I did hit them with some Tremclad Rust paint last summer. The road salt they use up here wasn't nice to them.

It takes me about 15-20 minutes to undo the bolts and remove the steps but I usually take them off at home before I head out. I also put some trim panel retainer clips into the rivnuts to keep dirt and water from messing up the threads.
Thanks for your input. I am considering the MORE step and your step as well. Do you use the trim panel retainer clips all the time or just when you remove the steps? would it be convenient for you to post a pic of the clips?

BadAssBumbleBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Rubicon, 2010 Callaway SC572 Camaro SS
Thanks for your input. I am considering the MORE step and your step as well. Do you use the trim panel retainer clips all the time or just when you remove the steps? would it be convenient for you to post a pic of the clips?

I just use the clips to plug the rivnuts when I take the steps off.

Here's a pic of the clips.

nylon-shield-clip-retainer.jpg