Sponsored

Bolt-On Portal for some Awesome Ground Clearance!

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Wait.... Portals suck because your friend has broken a bunch of ATV portals?
lol man, this is on a competition buggy. I’m sure whatever he’s running are purpose-built. I never said they suck, I said they weren’t right for a Jeep. My point was they aren’t bulletproof. They also add a cost and a complexity that most on this forum don’t understand.
Jeep Wrangler JL Bolt-On Portal for some Awesome Ground Clearance! 607863A8-6A3A-4FBB-B7CF-EA397100C68D
Sponsored

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
lol man, this is on a competition buggy. I’m sure whatever he’s running are purpose-built. I never said they suck, I said they weren’t right for a Jeep. My point was they aren’t bulletproof.
Jeep Wrangler JL Bolt-On Portal for some Awesome Ground Clearance! 607863A8-6A3A-4FBB-B7CF-EA397100C68D
Double wait... He's running ATV portals on a buggy and you're using that as a standard that portals aren't strong enough?

c20040215

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S; 2023 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Double wait... He's running ATV portals on a buggy and you're using that as a standard that portals aren't strong enough?
"This is a picture I found on internet. So what I said must be true."

Watch his comments is like watch Skit Bayless arguing with himself with whole bunch of nonsense on ESPN. 🤣

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
A buddy of mine runs portals on his buggy with 800-ish horsepower and they seem to do alright.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bolt-On Portal for some Awesome Ground Clearance! healey

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
"This is a picture I found on internet. So what I said must be true."

Watch his comments is like watch Skit Bayless arguing with himself with whole bunch of nonsense on ESPN. 🤣
I’m still waiting for you to post anything that adds to the conversation anywhere on this forum.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Didn't you just say they did? "...the AMG G63 4x4² (the one with portals) seems to start at about $250k..."
I said that the G-Wagen does not come standard with portals. The standard G-Wagen starts at $140k and lacks portals. To get them on the AMG G63 (which also does not have portals standard) you have to add on the ~$60K 4x4² package.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Actually, this is what you said.

... I'm fairly sure that they don't "come stock" with portals.
The G-Wagen comes stock with portals, as you pointed out. It's like the Wrangler, which comes stock with an 8.4" screen, lockers, electric windows. I didn't choose any of those "options" as they came standard on my JLR.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Actually, this is what you said.

The G-Wagen comes stock with portals, as you pointed out. It's like the Wrangler, which comes stock with an 8.4" screen, lockers, electric windows. I didn't choose any of those "options" as they came standard on my JLR.
You quoted me saying that they do not come stock with portals. They do not come standard on a G-Wagen.

The Wrangler does not come standard with a 8.4" screen, lockers, or electric windows. Those are all optional. They do come standard if you're talking about a Rubicon, but that itself is an additional-cost option (i.e. not standard / stock for a Wrangler).

Edit: maybe you're saying that "stock" means you can get it as an option from the factory? Yes, you can get it as an option from the factory.

Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
You gave an example of a stock G-Wagen, one that comes standard with portals, then said they don't come stock with portals. Buy a stock AMG G63 4x4-squared, as you pointed out, and get portals standard, just like you said the first time.

I'm not that familiar with their models, but the AMG G63 4x4² (the one with portals) seems to start at about $250k while the non 4x4² AMG G63 seems to start at about $179k. I'm fairly sure that they don't "come stock" with portals.
I will say, $25k for portals doesn't seem that bad, compared to the example Ratbert gave above, at $250k+.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Sure but you’re limiting travel in general by utilizing stock components. You can’t use longer shocks with portals without also adding a lift or doing some serious modifications to the factory shock mounts. They just don’t make a ton of sense on a Jeep.
Couldn't one run portals with metalcloak 6 packs sacrificing 0 uptravel over stock unlike almost every lift kit on the market that extends the bump stops? Why would you have to build your own suspension parts or run stock? Any aftermarket arms, track bars, etc could be added no problem. Hell you could buy 1 of a half dozen long arm upgrade kits on the market, run stock springs, slightly extended bumps, and probably clear 40's with portals. At some point you may need limit straps to keep the coils in, but you'd be surprised just how much droop it takes to drop even a stock height coil out of the bucket if you add a retainer at the bottom. 15" of shock travel and the clearance of portals and 40's with stock suspension height would be pretty awesome though.

Last edited:

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Not exactly what I would call a buggy but looks awesome.

Hmmmm.... tube chassis, fiberglass body panels, designed to bash into and off of stuff. Sure fits my definition of a buggy. What is yours?

BTW- for those of you who don't follow Ultra 4, that buggy belongs to Loren Healey, one of the top drivers in the Ultra 4 world of off-road racing. I've known him since his very first King of the Hammers race back in 2009. He is a super nice guy and one hell of a driver.

Edit- Those are two different cars of his. The first is IFS/IRS, the second is IFS/LAR (Live axle rear).
Sponsored

Last edited: