First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.0 GME
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I've a new vibration that's just started up on my JLUR and it's driving me nuts!

Once in a while when I hit a bump or uneven surface on the road I get a weird vibration and noise that comes up from the front wheels and through the steering column. It's nothing like the dreaded 'death wobble', more like the sensation you get from driving over a rumble strip on the edge of a road. It's just a short 1-second burst and the sound is pretty much what you get from one of those spring door stoppers:

The most likely cause would be that something like the exhaust has come loose on it's mountings and it's occasionally getting twanged but I've had a good root around under the vehicle and there's nothing obvious. Has anyone of you good folks experienced this and fixed it or have a good suggestion on where I might start looking? There's a lot of gear hanging under there!

Thanks.
Sponsored

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
That is something I get when ever I have something playing with a lot of bass it resonates right through the steering column so much that I (when I first bought) thought I was driving over something...there was a post about it saying that there were a group of wires that were the culprit. Not saying that is what yours is...but damn the steering column seems to b a conduit for everything!

OP
OP
GeeBee

GeeBee

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.0 GME
Occupation
Engineering Manager
That is something I get when ever I have something playing with a lot of bass it resonates right through the steering column so much that I (when I first bought) thought I was driving over something...there was a post about it saying that there were a group of wires that were the culprit. Not saying that is what yours is...but damn the steering column seems to b a conduit for everything!
Nope sadly it's not that as I've already fixed the buzzing charlie brown drivers side speaker issue! I've also driven around with the radio switched off to discount that from the investigation. Thanks for replying though :like:

OP
OP
GeeBee

GeeBee

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.0 GME
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Regarding speaker buzz, this is the definitive thread on the subject and the 'business card' fix certainly fixed mine once I figured out it was the same loose connector buzzing behind the dash speaker

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/speaker-issue.6166/

Skip to 6:33 on this video to see a demonstration of the fix:

Sponsored