Sponsored

Body "Wiggle" After MC Lift Kit

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Strange and hard to describe, but I have noticed the overall characteristics resemble (to a degree) taking two blocks of wood and putting springs between them. I get that a lift will enhance that feeling, but it seems to be more than I would have expected.

Anyone experience the above? Just wondering if this is normal or if there is some tweaking that needs to be done.
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Strange and hard to describe, but I have noticed the overall characteristics resemble (to a degree) taking two blocks of wood and putting springs between them. I get that a lift will enhance that feeling, but it seems to be more than I would have expected.

Anyone experience the above? Just wondering if this is normal or if there is some tweaking that needs to be done.
I just went through your vehicle showcase. Is it updated to reflect your current setup? It mentions a Synergy rear track bar brace. I'm assuming that refers to their frame side reinforcement?...
Jeep Wrangler JL Body "Wiggle" After MC Lift Kit 20210329_145447

Assuming everything else is fine tuned and properly torqued, the wiggle you speak of makes me think of what I fixed with the synergy relocation/reinforcement on the axle side...
Jeep Wrangler JL Body "Wiggle" After MC Lift Kit 20210329_145342
Jeep Wrangler JL Body "Wiggle" After MC Lift Kit 20210329_145422

It raised the rear roll center, which reduces "tail wag" after bumps, dips, whoops, etc. My Jeep became more solid and planted feeling, and that had a domino effect that translated to less steering corrections a less effort to hold a line in the straights and curves. Again, this is the part that "wiggle" brought my mind to. I may be off, as this is one of those things that is best to diagnose after getting to feel it first hand. Also, there's only so much that can be done to fight a raised center of gravity, but it can still be wrangled to a certain degree.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I just went through your vehicle showcase. Is it updated to reflect your current setup? It mentions a Synergy rear track bar brace. I'm assuming that refers to their frame side reinforcement?...

Assuming everything else is fine tuned and properly torqued, the wiggle you speak of makes me think of what I fixed with the synergy relocation/reinforcement on the axle side...

It raised the rear roll center, which reduces "tail wag" after bumps, dips, whoops, etc. My Jeep became more solid and planted feeling, and that had a domino effect that translated to less steering corrections a less effort to hold a line in the straights and curves. Again, this is the part that "wiggle" brought my mind to. I may be off, as this is one of those things that is best to diagnose after getting to feel it first hand. Also, there's only so much that can be done to fight a raised center of gravity, but it can still be wrangled to a certain degree.
Yep, my build is current and yes, it is the Synergy frame brace that I installed. I plan to take it out to @rustyshakelford in the coming days and have him give it a once over to confirm the settings are all good.

jgo138

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Occupation
Education
Yep, my build is current and yes, it is the Synergy frame brace that I installed. I plan to take it out to @rustyshakelford in the coming days and have him give it a once over to confirm the settings are all good.
Did you ever figure out what was causing the wiggle/swaying? I believe I’m experiencing that as well. Just diesel Rubicon suspension/mopar LCAs on a Sahara and it feels floaty and not too balanced! Thanks.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Did you ever figure out what was causing the wiggle/swaying? I believe I’m experiencing that as well. Just diesel Rubicon suspension/mopar LCAs on a Sahara and it feels floaty and not too balanced! Thanks.
Yes sir! The lift kit was not set up properly and @rustyshakelford had to completely redo it. Once he worked his magic, the wiggle is all but gone. It does still have a slight amount of it, but some of that is attributed to the 37x12.5x17 tires flexing (I have LR C BFG KO2's). It is night and day difference to the way it was when the other shop set it up.

Sponsored

jgo138

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Occupation
Education
Yes sir! The lift kit was not set up properly and @rustyshakelford had to completely redo it. Once he worked his magic, the wiggle is all but gone. It does still have a slight amount of it, but some of that is attributed to the 37x12.5x17 tires flexing (I have LR C BFG KO2's). It is night and day difference to the way it was when the other shop set it up.
Thanks! Do you know which part(s) in particular weren’t setup correctly? My steering is also back to loose, so I’m assuming the mopar lca’s are still too short to get the correct camber like it was before. Hey @rustyshakelford would you mind sharing your secrets on what happened? 😀 Thanks!

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks! Do you know which part(s) in particular weren’t setup correctly? My steering is also back to loose, so I’m assuming the mopar lca’s are still too short to get the correct camber like it was before. Hey @rustyshakelford would you mind sharing your secrets on what happened? 😀 Thanks!
The control arms were set up shorter than stock (which makes no freaking sense because I added 2.5" of lift to it) and thus the front axle was being pulled too close to the firewall.

The control arms were installed backwards (locking nut side against the axle instead of the frame).

The trackbars were also set wrong and the axle was offset in the chassis by a 1-1/2".

Last, but not least, the sway bar links were installed reversed (front installed in the rear and vice-versa).

It was a complete #$%^ show, but Brett sorted it out.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
The control arms were set up shorter than stock (which makes no freaking sense because I added 2.5" of lift to it) and thus the front axle was being pulled too close to the firewall.

The control arms were installed backwards (locking nut side against the axle instead of the frame).

The trackbars were also set wrong and the axle was offset in the chassis by a 1-1/2".

Last, but not least, the sway bar links were installed reversed (front installed in the rear and vice-versa).

Holy shit.

jgo138

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Occupation
Education

Damn!! Were the track bars stock or adjustable? Quick measurements show that my front axle is off 3/8-1/2” and the rear axle about the same. Not sure what the tolerances should be, but that I take it is helping cause the wiggle? I guess it’s time to just upgrade both to adjustable!

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Damn!! Were the track bars stock or adjustable? Quick measurements show that my front axle is off 3/8-1/2” and the rear axle about the same. Not sure what the tolerances should be, but that I take it is helping cause the wiggle? I guess it’s time to just upgrade both to adjustable!
All are adjustable--my lift kit is a Metal Cloak 2.5" Game Changer.

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
You have diesel Rubi springs ?

jgo138

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Occupation
Education
You have diesel Rubi springs ?
Yes. I bought a set of takeoffs from a diesel Rubi and the Mopar LCAs from a dealer in north Texas. Much firmer but I want to fix the “wiggle” before deciding on a full lift kit or not.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Yes. I bought a set of takeoffs from a diesel Rubi and the Mopar LCAs from a dealer in north Texas. Much firmer but I want to fix the “wiggle” before deciding on a full lift kit or not.
I don’t think the diesel springs are side specific like your Sahara springs were. With the diesel added weight they’re a lot more balanced, therefore not needing the side specific springs. Measure the gap between top of tire and the fender on front wheels to see if it’s leaning. As for the the wiggle, check your rear control arm bushings for any unusual wear and/or movement. Even the slightest lateral movement will enhance the wiggle.

jgo138

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Occupation
Education
I don’t think the diesel springs are side specific like your Sahara springs were. With the diesel added weight they’re a lot more balanced, therefore not needing the side specific springs. Measure the gap between top of tire and the fender on front wheels to see if it’s leaning. As for the the wiggle, check your rear control arm bushings for any unusual wear and/or movement. Even the slightest lateral movement will enhance the wiggle.
Thanks! I actually posted about this on another thread a while back. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/ecodiesel-rubicon-suspension-swap.50024/post-1603271
And yes the springs are the same on both sides. I thought it was weird that the Jeep was leaning towards the driver’s side a bit instead of the passenger side. I’ll measure again tomorrow to see if anything has settled. A small lean like that could make the suspension feel kinda floaty?

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks! I actually posted about this on another thread a while back. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/ecodiesel-rubicon-suspension-swap.50024/post-1603271
And yes the springs are the same on both sides. I thought it was weird that the Jeep was leaning towards the driver’s side a bit instead of the passenger side. I’ll measure again tomorrow to see if anything has settled. A small lean like that could make the suspension feel kinda floaty?
There’s several different things that contribute usually.
Sponsored