Body mount tire carrier: CAVFAB vs. Rustys

Explorethe395

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gladiator Sport
Debating between these two tire carriers to carry a 37" tire.

http://cavfab.com/CavFab-JL-JLU-Elite-Series-Body-Mounted-Tire-Carrier_p_306.html
https://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-...-tire-carrier-2018-and-later-jl-wrangler.html

Any experience installing and running with a 37" tires? Any issues blocking rear sensors?
My Buddy ran the CavFab steering on his xj. Nailed a boulder at 30 mph while wheeling in the snow in Big Bear last year and had no issue. I'd trust their product for sure! Small business too, so don't expect it too fast haha!
Sponsored

CavFab_mfg

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
CavFab
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlur
Occupation
Aftermarket Jeep Product Manufacturer
My Buddy ran the CavFab steering on his xj. Nailed a boulder at 30 mph while wheeling in the snow in Big Bear last year and had no issue. I'd trust their product for sure! Small business too, so don't expect it too fast haha!
We appreciate that!

Our parts have been proven time and time again in the Ultra4 Race series. We build parts for the absolute most extreme uses. For what its worth, our tire carriers normally ship in just a few days!

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
We appreciate that!

Our parts have been proven time and time again in the Ultra4 Race series. We build parts for the absolute most extreme uses. For what its worth, our tire carriers normally ship in just a few days!
Do you supply shims with yours?

CavFab_mfg

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
CavFab
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlur
Occupation
Do you supply shims with yours?
We do not, you may have seen an older video where shims were needed but we have since updated our design to eliminate the need for shims. We have shipped around 100 of these and have customers running them on anything from a 35 to a 40 and have no reports of anyone needing any shims or additional adjustments to prevent sag, etc.

1Greywolf

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlu rubicon, 2012 jeek jk
Question on Rusty’s tire carrier. Does it have positive stops on the hinges so as not to break the tail light whe you fully open the tailgate?
Also, how about the CavFab? Same question
Thanks

Sponsored

Gdub

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Occupation
Engineer
Question on Rusty’s tire carrier. Does it have positive stops on the hinges so as not to break the tail light whe you fully open the tailgate?
Thanks
i believe the Rusty’s maintains the same stops as the factory for the Jeep. It also comes with an addition adjustable one you can install with nutserts. Nutserts are included.

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Thanks
Rusty’s has basically a lanyard to stop it, Cavfab has a stop welded into the hinge. I’ve used both and Cavfab is a much better carrier, better built. It seems like every time I buy part from Rusty’s it has an issue and they refuse to do anything about it because their perfect in their minds. Sorry, but in this competitive market I’d rather buy from a company that appreciates my business and will accommodate me if I have an issue, Not tell me how long they’ve been in business
i believe the Rusty’s maintains the same stops as the factory for the Jeep. It also comes with an addition adjustable one you can install with nutserts. Nutserts are included.
The factory stops are built into the hinges,, If I remember correctly his extends and stops when it hits the hinge, pretty much just like the factory. He does include a thin cable that you can attach with nutserts, but it’s not adjustable

Gdub

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Occupation
Engineer
Rusty’s has basically a lanyard to stop it, Cavfab has a stop welded into the hinge. I’ve used both and Cavfab is a much better carrier, better built. It seems like every time I buy part from Rusty’s it has an issue and they refuse to do anything about it because their perfect in their minds. Sorry, but in this competitive market I’d rather buy from a company that appreciates my business and will accommodate me if I have an issue, Not tell me how long they’ve been in business

The factory stops are built into the hinges,, If I remember correctly his extends and stops when it hits the hinge, pretty much just like the factory. He does include a thin cable that you can attach with nutserts, but it’s not adjustable
It has been a while since I installed the rustys. I like it. I would change a few things, but my comments above are going off of my install 6-7 months ago. I also went with the rustys for the plate mount or lack therof, I have the factory steel bumpers, wanted to keep the plate where it is. The camera mount on the rustys is nice and the finish is pretty good as well. I personally have never put my hands on the cavfab one, but have heard nothing but good things from forum members.
Jeep Wrangler JL Body mount tire carrier: CAVFAB vs. Rustys 75D85E05-CE96-4396-9517-8B033EDB369D
Jeep Wrangler JL Body mount tire carrier: CAVFAB vs. Rustys B92E79BE-D863-49BD-8C86-D03D2BF265C9

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link

1Greywolf

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlu rubicon, 2012 jeek jk
Thank you all for the information. I will look at the cabfab as well.

Sponsored

TJP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Drill the holes on the Rustys and use some silicone on the nutserts. It’s quite exhilarating!

CavFab_mfg

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
CavFab
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlur
Occupation
If you folks have any questions on our carrier, feel free to reach out or post here!

Be sure to take advantage of our JLForum coupon code too!

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
Not sure if @CavFab_mfg website shows it yet, but they have updated some things that made some good improvements. The factory brake light can be added to the top of the plate mount. The camera mount is also changed slightly so that you don’t see the mount on the screen like the video on YouTube. And I’m not sure how they did it, but no shims needed and it works great! Love mine.

EF9D47E4455D47409D4A.jpg

swimman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Not sure if @CavFab_mfg website shows it yet, but they have updated some things that made some good improvements. The factory brake light can be added to the top of the plate mount. The camera mount is also changed slightly so that you don’t see the mount on the screen like the video on YouTube. And I’m not sure how they did it, but no shims needed and it works great! Love mine.

Jeep Wrangler JL Body mount tire carrier: CAVFAB vs. Rustys EF9D47E4455D47409D4A
Do you still have to disconnect/unplug and remove the camera when taking off the spare? This is the one issue that keeps steering me to the Rusty's carrier.

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
Only have to unplug it. Mount stays intact inside the license plate bracket. I also bought a little camera wire extension on eBay (US made) that makes it easier. I had the teraflex alpha before that didn’t require removing camera and even at that, I’m WAY happier with this setup!
Sponsored