Sponsored

Body mount tire carrier: CAVFAB vs. Rustys

TJP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I am running the Rustys with a 37” on a black rhino 17” wheel.

the Rustys is ridiculously overbuilt. I went w it for the e coating so it doesn’t rust from the insides out, the robustness of the design and also camera setup. I didn’t like the brake light mount behind the wheel on the carrier so I went w a led ring which is bright.

the Rustys also has reinforced hinges at the tub on both sides, and also nuts lock up the bolts from inside the tailgate as well. The 4 holes to drill into the tailgate to stiffen up the handle area is optional, but I’d say do it. It’s pretty hard to screw up and drilling the holes the way the mount lines up on the gate, and the tailgate is aluminum so I don’t worry about rust.

i have tons of pics if anyone wants me to post some.

the cavfab looks nice but what kept me away was the raw steel and need to finish it... and w the Rustys being similar in price finished plus e coated I went that route.

best of luck.

C21F2812-0713-4E54-AD1C-3C8BF834ADEC.jpeg

00FD293C-AFBA-456A-A276-6A80611CC0E6.jpeg

D1038B54-4403-417E-9CF5-FA7CD026C108.jpeg

BB7649A9-3842-435B-AF4A-640C36887DA1.jpeg

99F30257-04BF-4E65-9E4B-3936073569F9.jpeg

0B713D91-5B1E-4AC6-9DBE-7F82AAE09771.jpeg
Sponsored

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
That extra reinforcement bracket inside by the tail light looks pretty sweet.

Reactions: TJP

TJP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
That extra reinforcement bracket inside by the tail light looks pretty sweet.
agree it really is overbuilt — but I won’t worry about hanging fuel cans (Mount coming soon) and maybe adding their shovel and ax mount they are releasing soon as well.

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
The e-coating/coating, simplicity of design, robustness of design, not having to disconnect/remove anything to remove spare made me go to the Rustys mount. Was not happy with its function until I took it off removed a shim and now it closes like a factory door. Have 100-105lb tire combo on it.

Waiting impatiently for them to come out with their rotopax mount.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I'm eyeballing both these carriers, but leaning towards Rusty's by nature of its design. Either of them being overbuilt is totally fine with me.

I'm currently running EVO's carrier and, unfortunately, it is not a well-designed, quality product. I've had it for less than a year and it's already rusting, powder-coating is flaking off, and the holes for the hinges that mount to the tub weren't drilled in the correct position because I could not get the damn thing to bolt onto the gate nice and flush without having to add some washers as spacers on top of the spacers that came with it. It also came scratched up, but that was easy to fix with some paint.

I spent more time fine-tuning and correcting all the flaws with this product just to get it to mount properly than I did the actual installation procedure and I'm not a fan of the huge gaping holes left over on the tub for the hinges. It certainly holds my 37" spare just fine, but it still feels cheap and not thought out well at all.

Here it is after I just installed it. This was on the highest setting. I have now moved it down a couple inches.

Jeep Wrangler JL Body mount tire carrier: CAVFAB vs. Rustys 0B713D91-5B1E-4AC6-9DBE-7F82AAE09771
This just looks nice and clean and is totally what I'm going for.

Sponsored

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
Here it is after I just installed it. This was on the highest setting. I have now moved it down a couple inches.

Jeep Wrangler JL Body mount tire carrier: CAVFAB vs. Rustys 0B713D91-5B1E-4AC6-9DBE-7F82AAE09771

Looks good!

I have found through trial and error, mine was best the lower and closer to the tailgate I have the tire. The more the centerbore is to the center of the tailgate, the more stable and less flex on the gate.

It is set-up so that it just clears the bumper and using the factory bumpstop (instead of the Rustys metal one) I have the tire touching the top cross beam. Very stable and solid.

fa1rch1ld

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
I’m currently installing the rustys Tire carrier. It’s a 37 Baja boss. The 2 shims that come in the kit. I’m not seeing the point of why to use them? Why the lighter the tire would require shims and the heavier would require non?

Gdub

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Occupation
Engineer
I’m currently installing the rustys Tire carrier. It’s a 37 Baja boss. The 2 shims that come in the kit. I’m not seeing the point of why to use them? Why the lighter the tire would require shims and the heavier would require non?
Skip the shims. I installed everything then had to go back and take them out.

fa1rch1ld

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
Skip the shims. I installed everything then had to go back and take them out.
Did you install a 37? It says with a 37 to only install one shim on the upper mount. I might go to a 40 one day. So maybe no shims is the way to go.

Gdub

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Occupation
Engineer
Did you install a 37? It says with a 37 to only install one shim on the upper mount. I might go to a 40 one day. So maybe no shims is the way to go.
39”. Heavy setup on a beadlock.

Sponsored

fa1rch1ld

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
Same. I used them. Had to go back and remove them.
I have a 37 with beadlocks. No shims made it perfect
Just trying to see the purpose of the shin. The tire carrier must be designed for sag. The lighter the setup the more shims to reduce the sag? Idk.

TJP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I used one shim w a 17” black rhino and 37” BFG.

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
I used both shims originally and then took one out and it shuts perfect now. I have 35" in the 100-105lb range.

Kev84

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I was going to go with Rusty's because it is already finished and I don't want to mess with having to get it painted.
I waited to long now and the price has went way up on them. $780 currently dang it! I should have pulled the trigger.

I really like the CavFab one but just don't want to mess with painting it
Sponsored