First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Occupation
RN
I've been seeing photos of australian JL Rubicon a with body coloured hardtops.

Is there a place is Sydney that does this?
Sponsored

Jaydee_S

First Name
Jaydee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Mojito Rubicon
I've been seeing photos of australian JL Rubicon a with body coloured hardtops.

Is there a place is Sydney that does this?
If you have seen this, its all done after market. Get a quote from a auto body shop as they'll be able to paint it pretty easily. It'll pay to get a few quotes in your area as well.

I was originally going to paint mine, but after getting my Rubicon a few months ago, I know really like the two tone look =)

Alamein.sajib

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Firecracker RED JLUR
I believe for My 2020 you can option Rubicon with body colour hardtop, not sure if they have started to get delivered already.

I also like my 2 tone colour!

Invech

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Jl Rubicon
I like coloured top
EBC464F0-B0BF-469F-BB11-95D7731572F1.jpeg

Last edited:

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
White with the coloured top looks fabulous!

But my feelings would vary with other colours.

Sponsored

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
If you have seen this, its all done after market. Get a quote from a auto body shop as they'll be able to paint it pretty easily. It'll pay to get a few quotes in your area as well.

I was originally going to paint mine, but after getting my Rubicon a few months ago, I know really like the two tone look =)
I've been there. The prep has to be immaculate or it starts to bubble and peel. I'd settle for a wrap.

Jaydee_S

First Name
Jaydee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Mojito Rubicon
I've been there. The prep has to be immaculate or it starts to bubble and peel. I'd settle for a wrap.
I wrap cars for a living, I would point people at getting it painted over wrapped. I wouldnt even offer the service of wrapping the factory black/textured hard top as the film just wouldnt stick great unfortunately.

Paint would give you the closest match anyway in most cases.

One alternative option would be to plasti dip (Or something similar) the hard top, spray on temporary paint that is removable.

COKENOGOOD

First Name
Hugh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Black
I wrap cars for a living, I would point people at getting it painted over wrapped. I wouldnt even offer the service of wrapping the factory black/textured hard top as the film just wouldnt stick great unfortunately.

One alternative option would be to plasti dip (Or something similar) the hard top, spray on temporary paint that is removable.
hi Jaydee,
What’s the avg cost to wrap a wrangler unlimited?

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6

I have experience having the black plastic parts of my JK professionally painted by a shop that does high end stuff (not making a comparison with you guys but just saying it wasn't a mom and pop shop). They sanded everything down to a smooth finish and painted. The paint was a 100% match but started bubbling and cracking from edges after a year or so and just kept getting worse. It was just as expensive to strip the old paint and re-prep and repaint than to get an aftermarket part let alone replace with a stock take-off part. Everyone who had a look at it was saying smartarse things like should do it to make the paint chemically bond with plastic, etc. but the cracks and bubbles started from the edges, everywhere else it was fine. I'd hate to see that happen to the hardtop.

Jaydee_S

First Name
Jaydee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Mojito Rubicon
hi Jaydee,
What’s the avg cost to wrap a wrangler unlimited?
It honestly varies depending on where you go. With my current business, we stopped doing vinyl wraps and now focus 100% on Paint protection film wraps as we just couldnt complete with some of the cheaper places around sydney. I felt we did extremely good jobs, but not everyone understood price vs quality so we just cut it out ourselves. Some places will charge as low as $3500 for a full normal car wrap then go up to 5 grand and over depending on the car/difficulty and honestly for a jeep wrangler wrap, I probably wouldnt pay more than 3500 as in most cases there is no roof or bars to wrap (less film and less work required)

If you are in Sydney, I can get you a quote from one of the places we do work at as the guy who does all their vinyl wrapping is extremely good (I worked with him for a few years a few years ago and would trust him to wrap my own car if i didnt want to do it myself)

I have experience having the black plastic parts of my JK professionally painted by a shop that does high end stuff (not making a comparison with you guys but just saying it wasn't a mom and pop shop). They sanded everything down to a smooth finish and painted. The paint was a 100% match but started bubbling and cracking from edges after a year or so and just kept getting worse. It was just as expensive to strip the old paint and re-prep and repaint than to get an aftermarket part let alone replace with a stock take-off part. Everyone who had a look at it was saying smartarse things like should do it to make the paint chemically bond with plastic, etc. but the cracks and bubbles started from the edges, everywhere else it was fine. I'd hate to see that happen to the hardtop.
Yeah i cant speak for paint, i wish i knew more about it but i do know if prep isnt done right it will obviously effect it. One of my cars was resprayed and all the clear started peeling after a year from the edges as they didnt clear properly around the edge of the panel... very frustrating.

As for vinyl.. There is a cheat way to get it to stick really well.. But Im highly against it. You can use a adhesive promoter to help the vinyl stick better and while it would most likely work fine, when the time comes to take the vinyl off.. you'll be there for days... removing vinyl / adhesive...

Sponsored

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
honestly for a jeep wrangler wrap, I probably wouldnt pay more than 3500 as in most cases there is no roof or bars to wrap (less film and less work required)
Are you referring to everything but the top (including fenders and grille)? Isn't the grille difficult than in most?

As for vinyl.. There is a cheat way to get it to stick really well.. But Im highly against it. You can use a adhesive promoter to help the vinyl stick better and while it would most likely work fine, when the time comes to take the vinyl off.. you'll be there for days... removing vinyl / adhesive...
Thanks for the tip. I'll be sure to ask when I get something done in the future. Any places in Melbourne that you can recommend?

Jaydee_S

First Name
Jaydee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Mojito Rubicon
Are you referring to everything but the top (including fenders and grille)? Isn't the grille difficult than in most?

Thanks for the tip. I'll be sure to ask when I get something done in the future. Any places in Melbourne that you can recommend?
Yes to no roof and wrap fenders. Fenders are super easy anyway. Yes the grille is a pain in the ass and depending on the colour of your jeep, wrapping the hinges can be a pain. But once again it'll all come down to the shop you choose and the quote they'll give. There is so much competition in Sydney you can get a full car wrap for really cheap. But once again most of the times, cheap isnt always associated with best quality.

for down in Melbourne, I know the guys at https://www.primefinish.com.au/ through the Xpel PPF network, hit them up and see what kind of quote they will give you. Im sure they'll be happy to help you out. =)
Sponsored