Body colored fenders?

• Total voters

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation
Black, never been a fan of body colored top or fenders on a Jeep
Me either. On painted ones, it reminds me of a compass or patriot. Just my opinion though.
Sponsored

Muzzle of Bees

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 TEP
I like black since they can be beat up without having to worry about paint. The downside is that the signal reflector was moved to the front corners
perfectly positioned to get contacted on the trail.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Black. Hides scratches, easily replaced without paint work, and I bought a sting gray... if they fade, they’ll look color matched :giggle:

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
The painted fender (unpainted when purchased) and non-painted fenders are different part numbers and material/finish. I don not think the non-painted fenders with the ruffer texture will hold paint without peeling.
But the painted fenders should be able to be black painted over with a textured paint/rhino liner or something without issue I would think??

Sponsored

telix

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Can you buy the OEM painted fender flares from Jeep ?

Jeeporama

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JLU), 2005 Jeep Liberty
Vehicle Showcase
Hi guys, new here. I’m trying to decide between firecracker red and ocean blue but that’s another topic for another thread.

I’m first trying to decide between body colored fenders and top or standard black. Are there benefits to one over the other? Do you guys think one looks better than the other? Does one age better than another? I’m so indecisive lol. Thanks for your input.
Body coloured fenders, black roof.

Ocean blue is excellent, but fire cracker red is also awesome. Just buy one of each
:jk::like::jk:

Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

black. and a few bottles of 303 aerospace cleaner. plus in the next year or two the aftermarket fender option will be better and cheaper than they are now. Another thought scratching painted fender hurts the feelings but scratching my black plastic fender doesnt have any effect on me as i know some 303 will hide most the scratch and at some point ill change them from a part of aluminum fenders

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

if its going to be offroaded, where they could get damaged, black all the way. i already scraped one of my fenders on a rock after a few times out. its not even that noticeable till you walk up to it. another guy right behind me scraped up his white fender and was talking about having it repainted asap, and says he knows it will happen again. he wasnt upset at all. me? i dont have $ to keep sending my jeep to the body shop to keep the paint looking new lol

if its a street cruiser, then sure. why not. they look good both ways. they look more high end with painted fenders. like a G wagon. they look more rugged with black fenders.

MikeJLUR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 4 door Rubicon
People keep ca calling them black. They are not blacks, they are gray.

Kizzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Wrangler
I had the black plastic fender flares on my last 3 JK's and can honestly say while that while they may not show scratches like a painted surface will, they are a bear to maintain and keep looking nice. If you get wax on them, they look like crap. If you are not constantly maintaining them with 303, Mothers back to black or any number of other products on the market to designated to keep black plastic looking good they will fade to grey and look like crap.

When ordering my JL I opted for the painted flares so I didn't have to deal with the same headaches I did with my JK's. Besides the lip on the edge gives a bit of contrast unlike what they had previously with the color matched fenders on the JK.
It looks as if with this redesign. The body colored fenders is the intended look for the JL, hence the black lip. A throwback to the CJ. It looks great :)
Sponsored

Last edited: