calin

First Name
Calin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Willys 2021, Highlander
Thanks, 2 more questions if you don't mind:

1) will the heat affect the integrity of the bolt? does it need to be changed with a new one?
2) When putting the bolt back on, do you need to apply red thread locker?

OP
OP
DocTwinkie

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
Thanks, 2 more questions if you don't mind:

1) will the heat affect the integrity of the bolt? does it need to be changed with a new one?
2) When putting the bolt back on, do you need to apply red thread locker?
I did not remove the bolt. Only loosened slightly for my needs. It’s been a year and I’ve not had any issues. I’ve checked the torque on them and there’s been no change.

with tire rotations and oil changes it’s a good idea to re torque. If they loosened any I’d remove and rethreathlock.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
I pulled my body bolts to install RockHard sliders. Hit the a-pillars with a torch. Passenger side was lose with no locktite on it. Installed new bolts because they all the stock bolts looked a little stretched and the threads were worn after removing.

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
I’m 19 out of 20 for not breaking body bolts. Seems like a good record. It is not. :(

Reactions: GtX

Sponsored

Jhawth

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Just in case anyone stumbles across this thread...

I removed the two rear body bolts on both passenger and driver side to install my fab fours rock sliders. All 4 bolts appeared to have maybe a whisper of blue loctite on them. This is on a 21 JLUR built in may 2021.

20210630_190015.jpg

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Haven't attempted to remove the JL body bolts but have dealt w/ quite a few large fasteners w/ Red Loctite. Had good luck using a propane torch and an Infra-Red Laser thermometer. Just get the bolt to 600 degrees, might have to heat both ends back and forth, and the nut &/or bolt frees up pretty well. Just do your best to keep the torch tip pretty narrow and concentrated only on the fastener.
And yes, I always use new fasteners when I remove ones that have been dosed w/ the Red Menace :)

Rubycon50

First Name
Royce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JL
Vehicle Showcase
I pulled the body off the frame of my JL. There was a total of 10 bolts. For the really tough bolts my impact gun was struggling and could only budge them a bit. I ended up going to a bar with socket on the end. Turn a bit until it gets hard and then reverse direction a 1/4 to half turn to release the loctite binding in the threads. I did break one bolt and a couple others felt like they were going to twist off as well but I ended up getting them out. I replaced all the bolts with new, expensive, oem bolts. The broken bolt I welded a nut on the end which got the bolt very hot and it came out somewhat easily. I did try a torch and the paint on the underbody started discoloring. If I had to do it again I would not use the breaker bar as the force you can create is destructive on the bolt. I would probably use the torch again and the impact gun. I do think the tool the OP used is the bees knees but it’s probably cost prohibitive for most if you don’t use it again. I still think it’s pretty cool though.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I pulled the body off the frame of my JL. There was a total of 10 bolts. For the really tough bolts my impact gun was struggling and could only budge them a bit. I ended up going to a bar with socket on the end. Turn a bit until it gets hard and then reverse direction a 1/4 to half turn to release the loctite binding in the threads. I did break one bolt and a couple others felt like they were going to twist off as well but I ended up getting them out. I replaced all the bolts with new, expensive, oem bolts. The broken bolt I welded a nut on the end which got the bolt very hot and it came out somewhat easily. I did try a torch and the paint on the underbody started discoloring. If I had to do it again I would not use the breaker bar as the force you can create is destructive on the bolt. I would probably use the torch again and the impact gun. I do think the tool the OP used is the bees knees but it’s probably cost prohibitive for most if you don’t use it again. I still think it’s pretty cool though.
You putting on a body lift, just curious why you had to remove all the body bolts. Sounds like a fun time :( What do those OEM bolts run if you don't mind me asking?

Rubycon50

First Name
Royce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JL
Vehicle Showcase
The bolts were one of the few items I purchased direct from the dealer, in-person, which means I don’t have the receipt anymore. I think I ended up paying about $80 for eight bolts. I could be wrong but I just remember thinking how crazy the prices were.

I pulled the body off in the driveway to replace the frame which was bent from a collision.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

JeepFiend

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Rubicon 2 Door, 2011 Ford F-150 STX
Occupation
System Administrator
I'm thinking that if I pull them, they'll be replaced with grade 8 bolts.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I was studying up on removing the body bolts until my dealer said that they'd install my ACE rock rails for only $100. Decided not to roll the dice on DIY. I'm too ham-fisted.
Sponsored