Sponsored

Body Armor 4x4 JL Tire Carrier 5298

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
I just recently purchased the Body Armor Tire Carrier 5298 addon for my bumper. It is a swing
arm type carrier on bearings and latches on the right side. I followed the instructions to a T, pdf
of them below.

PDF Instructions

My problem is now that it's installed and the tire is mounted every time I hit a bump it bounces
and makes quite a bit of noise. I have seen other options where the tire does not move a bit. Tires
are 35" Toyo AT3.

Does anyone else have this problem, is there a fix to make it more sturdy? It seems like the bouncing is
because of this. Not sure if it's normal but there is definitely some slack and I assuming that is working as
intended?

Jeep Wrangler JL Body Armor 4x4 JL Tire Carrier 5298 1648036729923

Any recommendations are appreciated.

**UPDATE**

If you go to purchase this item, I can confirm it is not worth it. There was an issue with it and the company told me to take it to a shop, which I did. After 3 emails, the shop confirmed there was an issue and the place I got it from wouldn't return it cause the supplier wouldn't accept it.

The bumper also started rusting out no more than 4 months later. Don't waste your money these products are not worth it.
Sponsored

Last edited:

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
This was my experience as well. And every time I tightened the turnbuckle, the carrier would sag and sit crooked on the spindle.
I’ve got a few fixes I’m going to try to implement but I may end up pulling it off eventually and replacing it with something like a TeraFlex HD Alpha or something.

OP
OP
northernjeepjl
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
We tried a lot of things to
This was my experience as well. And every time I tightened the turnbuckle, the carrier would sag and sit crooked on the spindle.
I’ve got a few fixes I’m going to try to implement but I may end up pulling it off eventually and replacing it with something like a TeraFlex HD Alpha or something.
We tried a bunch of things to. If you have the option go with a different product.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
SO, just a quick update: I pulled the carrier apart AGAIN and readjusted it. All shims are on the backing plate on the tailgate, and I bought the chair foot cups for $4 and shoved one in the stopper on the driver side of my tailgate. Tightened the turnbuckle until it was tight to/ squishing that and tight against the shims. It SEEMS to be more solid than it ever has been. There is nowhere near as much play, and the tailgate still opens/ closes easily enough. So, we'll see how this holds up.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i have the same set up and had the same noise when i go over bumps, etc. the fix is to adjust the turn buckle to tighten it a bit. just need to find the sweet spot and the noise will go away. other than that, no other issues.

Sponsored

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
i have the same set up and had the same noise when i go over bumps, etc. the fix is to adjust the turn buckle to tighten it a bit. just need to find the sweet spot and the noise will go away. other than that, no other issues.
The more I think about this the more I think it needs more/ better shims/ stoppers than what are provided with the kit. I went wheeling and have been driving around daily since making the update with the stool foot cups and it seems to have done the trick. As long as they come out to meet the swingarm when it's closed and are tight (almost to the point of squishing it down a bit) the tension seems to hold it up straight with no sagging so far.

sciotola88

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Ecodiesel and 2020 JTR
Occupation
Underwriter
The more I think about this the more I think it needs more/ better shims/ stoppers than what are provided with the kit. I went wheeling and have been driving around daily since making the update with the stool foot cups and it seems to have done the trick. As long as they come out to meet the swingarm when it's closed and are tight (almost to the point of squishing it down a bit) the tension seems to hold it up straight with no sagging so far.

Do you have pics of this done?

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation