Bluetooth Battery Drain

marjamr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Here's an odd thing that happened with my 2018 JL Sport 2.0 today.
I put the Jeep in the unattached garage yesterday and happened to leave it in reverse when I shut it off (should have put in park, first error.)
I had had my iPhone with me in the Jeep. I then went into the house. About three hours later I looked at my phone to check email. I discovered my phone had no sound. Pondered this a while thinking my phone was going to need repaired. Then I wised up and checked the Bluetooth settings and discovered my phone was still connected to Uconnect via Bluetooth. I manually disconnected the Bluetooth from the Uconnect device and proceeded to check my email. Went to bed and never thought about it.
Went out this afternoon to take the Jeep into town and found it had a stone cold dead battery. No charge at all. That's when I discovered it was in reverse rather than park.
I used a portable lithium jump starter and it started right up. It's now on the battery tender. I will have to see tomorrow if it,s taken a full charge.
Never had anything like this happen before. Will have to keep an eye on Bluetooth.
Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I just replaced my factory battery a couple weeks ago. It had a bad cell; would only charge to about 8.8vdc.

One important thing: If your Jeep needs a new battery, make sure the Dealer gives you an H7 AGM battery (700CCA). Their computer will tell them you need an H6 Lead Acid (600CCA).

I'm not sure why my battery died like it did. My Jeep is 9 months old now and I may have fried it winching, but I didn't have any indication that there was a bad cell until the voltage dropped below 9vdc while I was traveling abroad and then it wouldn't recover.

OP
OP
marjamr

marjamr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
I just replaced my factory battery a couple weeks ago. It had a bad cell; would only charge to about 8.8vdc.

One important thing: If your Jeep needs a new battery, make sure the Dealer gives you an H7 AGM battery (700CCA). Their computer will tell them you need an H6 Lead Acid (600CCA).

I'm not sure why my battery died like it did. My Jeep is 9 months old now and I may have fried it winching, but I didn't have any indication that there was a bad cell until the voltage dropped below 9vdc while I was traveling abroad and then it wouldn't recover.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to keep an eye on my battery for a while to see if there was any lasting damage.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
I have my Bluetooth paired and my phone is probably within range most of the time when I'm at home (definitely when I'm sleeping, bedroom not far at all from garage). It disconnects shortly after I turn the Jeep off and get out and I've had no battery issues, probably something else going on.

OP
OP
marjamr

marjamr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
I have my Bluetooth paired and my phone is probably within range most of the time when I'm at home (definitely when I'm sleeping, bedroom not far at all from garage). It disconnects shortly after I turn the Jeep off and get out and I've had no battery issues, probably something else going on.
Just noticed this from the owner's manual:
“STARTING AND OPERATING 307
If the gear selector is not in PARK (with vehicle stopped) and the ENGINE START/STOP button is pushed once, the transmission will automatically select PARK and the engine will turn off, however the ignition will remain in the ACC mode (NOT the OFF mode). Never leave a vehicle out of the PARK position, or it could roll.”
Since I had left transmission in reverse by mistake when I shut it off, I assume the Jeep was in ACC mode all night and half of the next day. That must have drained the battery.

Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Just noticed this from the owner's manual:
“STARTING AND OPERATING 307
If the gear selector is not in PARK (with vehicle stopped) and the ENGINE START/STOP button is pushed once, the transmission will automatically select PARK and the engine will turn off, however the ignition will remain in the ACC mode (NOT the OFF mode). Never leave a vehicle out of the PARK position, or it could roll.”
Since I had left transmission in reverse by mistake when I shut it off, I assume the Jeep was in ACC mode all night and half of the next day. That must have drained the battery.
Nice! Good find. That’ll ease your mind a little bit about any kind of weird issue looming.

wvgasguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR / 2017 TRD Pro 4Runner / 2016 Suburban LTZ and 1979 Chevy K10 short bed
Occupation
Retired
Glad to see this explanation. I did the same thing. Dead as could be one morning. When I got in it I couldn't figure out what was wrong but then found that I had not put it into park

Joeymon1

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Here's an odd thing that happened with my 2018 JL Sport 2.0 today.
I put the Jeep in the unattached garage yesterday and happened to leave it in reverse when I shut it off (should have put in park, first error.)
I had had my iPhone with me in the Jeep. I then went into the house. About three hours later I looked at my phone to check email. I discovered my phone had no sound. Pondered this a while thinking my phone was going to need repaired. Then I wised up and checked the Bluetooth settings and discovered my phone was still connected to Uconnect via Bluetooth. I manually disconnected the Bluetooth from the Uconnect device and proceeded to check my email. Went to bed and never thought about it.
Went out this afternoon to take the Jeep into town and found it had a stone cold dead battery. No charge at all. That's when I discovered it was in reverse rather than park.
I used a portable lithium jump starter and it started right up. It's now on the battery tender. I will have to see tomorrow if it,s taken a full charge.
Never had anything like this happen before. Will have to keep an eye on Bluetooth.
Interesting that you started it with the jump starter. Most have said this doesn't work. I've carried one for several years and was thinking about carrying cables and then what to do with the jump starter. Probably should carry both. Too much stuff in the back of my jeep.

wvgasguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR / 2017 TRD Pro 4Runner / 2016 Suburban LTZ and 1979 Chevy K10 short bed
Occupation
Retired
Interesting that you started it with the jump starter. Most have said this doesn't work. I've carried one for several years and was thinking about carrying cables and then what to do with the jump starter. Probably should carry both. Too much stuff in the back of my jeep.
I had no problem starting mine with jumper cables. It was dead, no lights, no chimes, nadda

OP
OP
marjamr

marjamr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Glad to see this explanation. I did the same thing. Dead as could be one morning. When I got in it I couldn't figure out what was wrong but then found that I had not put it into park
Yeah. That is so easy to do. Not a big fan of the push button start in this vehicle. I have had push button start in other vehicles(couple of Subarus) and had no problems with it. For some reason, this one seems to confuse me as to whether it is on run, acc or whatever. could be I'm just getting senile.

Sponsored

OP
OP
marjamr

marjamr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Yes. I had a small jump starter I carry in my Sienna. Looks like a large iPhone, about 800 amps peak I think. This was the first time I have used it. The Jeep started right up. I then turned the Jeep off and hooked up a Deltran battery tender, 1.25 amps. I left the charger connected all afternoon, all that night and most of the next afternoon. when I checked the tender, the charging light was still on. I had thought that surely the storage light would have gone on by then. I was afraid that the battery had been so discharged that it would not take a charge. I then disconnected the charger and tried starting the jeep. It started but one of those 12v plug meters showed the battery only had a 25% charge. So I got out an old Schumacher(sp) 10 amp manual charger and put it on the battery. it showed the battery was drawing about 11 amps. I left it on the battery for about two hours and could see the meter dropped to about 10 amp draw so I assumed the battery was taking a charge. I took the 10 amp charger off and replaced the battery tender and left it on all night again. When I went out to check the battery this morning, the tender light was still on charge but the 12 volt plug meter shows a nearly full charge on the battery. Put the tender back on and I'll wait til the storage light comes on indicating a fully charged battery.
The lesson from my point of view is :
don't let your Wrangler battery go dead. It's a bugger getting it charged again. And, I ordered another small jump starter for the Jeep.

OP
OP
marjamr

marjamr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
I'm wondering if when the battery was drained, both batteries were dead, the main and the auxiliary. This may account for why it takes so long to recharge.

Onyx Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1999 Xj, 2001 Trans Am
Vehicle Showcase
I'm wondering if when the battery was drained, both batteries were dead, the main and the auxiliary. This may account for why it takes so long to recharge.
I was going to suggest that. if there's a main and an auxiliary and both drained, then you're charging two batteries.

But that still suggests that you should not let it drain for the same reason!

Joeymon1

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Yeah. That is so easy to do. Not a big fan of the push button start in this vehicle. I have had push button start in other vehicles(couple of Subarus) and had no problems with it. For some reason, this one seems to confuse me as to whether it is on run, acc or whatever. could be I'm just getting senile.
I've turned the radio off several times and left the Jeep running - locked it and walked off.
Sponsored