Block heater cord location

boxs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BMW X4M Comp, 21 Rubicon 392
Occupation
Done working!
OK, dumb question to ask in July - but does anyone know where the block heater cord is located?
boxs
Sponsored

OP
OP

boxs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Done working!
Found it! My google search did not provide an answer for the 392. Thank you Dennis. Now I have to remember the location when it does get cold.
boxs

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
Is a block heater standard or was it an option?
Doubt mine will see snow ever just curious though.

Sponsored

OP
OP

boxs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Done working!
It’s a $95.00 option.
boxs

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
Ok figured, as it usually is on most vehicles. Thanks

Rob97RR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR Rubi, 2023 C8 Corvette Z06 & 2023 Ducati
Occupation
Stay at home dad to 2 munchkins, best job in the world!
If it’s ok to ask, what is the purpose of an engine block heater? I understand “what” it does, preheating the engine block and/or oil, but I don’t know the “why”.

Is it just to help the engine reach full running temperature quicker, or is there another benefit like better protection from cold startups to extend engine life?

Curious because I didn’t select that option on mine, and this past winter, our first winter here in northern Illinois was crazy cold, so I’m wondering if that was a mistake on my part.

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
If it’s ok to ask, what is the purpose of an engine block heater? I understand “what” it does, preheating the engine block and/or oil, but I don’t know the “why”.

Is it just to help the engine reach full running temperature quicker, or is there another benefit like better protection from cold startups to extend engine life?

Curious because I didn’t select that option on mine, and this past winter, our first winter here in northern Illinois was crazy cold, so I’m wondering if that was a mistake on my part.
It will definitely help achieve faster warm
Up time, and should help eliminate some wear on cold starts. However totally unnecessary for our weather in IL. My daily is a diesel and I rarely plug it in during the winter. In extreme cold climates I can see the benefit

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase

Engines see less stress in very cold environments if they're warm. I have an engine block heater for my 3.0 in Chicago and target 2 hrs when temperatures are below 32F and 4 hours when below 0F.

A few years go we closed our facility during the polar vortex because we were concerned that employees wouldn't be able to start their vehicles to go home at the end of their shifts.

Sponsored

Rob97RR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR Rubi, 2023 C8 Corvette Z06 & 2023 Ducati
Occupation
Stay at home dad to 2 munchkins, best job in the world!
Engines see less stress in very cold environments if they're warm. I have an engine block heater for my 3.0 in Chicago and target 2 hrs when temperatures are below 32F and 4 hours when below 0F.

A few years go we closed our facility during the polar vortex because we were concerned that employees wouldn't be able to start their vehicles to go home at the end of their shifts.

Thanks @RELBUS and @GtX for the info, good to know!
-Rob

Bluewaveaudio

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392, Hydro blue
Occupation
Chief Inspector
Vehicle Showcase
I plug ours in below 32 just for the warm and fuzzy feeling it gives me. I know modern oils do not need it, especially with these running 0 weight oil. I still like plugging them in for the faster warm up either way
Sponsored