RocketScientist

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford F150
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, you will need this jumper. I looked at this again this morning to refresh my memory. That jumper will get the correct connections to the body harness. I have that. However, the body harness - again on my 2018 Sahara - does not have the wires that run to the star hub. There is no part number for this - other than a new body harness. You will need wires and correct plug type. There is a third misssing wire - the one that turns on the indicator. Again correct harnesses for mirror, door, will get that connection to body harness, but you will need to run that wire back to the taillight harness. It seems that Jscan has hit all the appropriate config settings. I’ll try connecting the two harnesses I made to from the star hub to taillights and see what happens. But that probably won’t be today.
Attached are appropriate wiring diagrams for the complete BSM system/entire vehicle connector layout. You can see the wire colors, pin numbers, and match them up to what is/is not present on your vehicle.

Pins 10 and 11 on either taillight harness need to be run to the IHS STAR bus located inside vehicle over right rear fender. Wires are NOT present on most non-BSM equipped vehicles. All? Don't know. Build specs change - my 2018 Sahara and another 2018 Rubicon - NOT present. Therefore, you will need appropriate connector and wire. I would not just splice into another IHS bus connection. The connectors connect to port C2 and C3 on the IHS bus hub.

Pin 12 turns on the indicator light and must be run to the L/R door harness, and tap into the DOOR SIDE, as the wire will NOT be present on most JLs. Connector XY600A. X or Y designates body side or door side. I believe X is door side, Y is body side. Don't hold me to that. Obviously one will be male and one female. Make sure you are looking at the correct one and correct pin to verify if wires are present.

Pin 9 is for relay control - this must be run to connector XY401A and to a relay in the power distribution center.

The turn signal circuit mirror indicator, while shown, is not present in US spec JLs. It just feeds back to the turn signal control, which is part of the BSM operation. The turn signal control is relevant, regardless of the presence of the mirror turn signal.

These were SVG diagrams I converted to PNG to be uploaded.

You would need to buy a subscription to Tech Authority (FCA), $26.95 for 24 hours. It goes up from there. SVG files are then interactive if logged into site, you can click on a connector to see more info, pinout etc.

At this point, I'm probably done with this. I'll be putting up radar modules and taillight harnesses up for sale. Passive entry was one thing, this is another animal.

Jeep Wrangler JL Blind spot monitoring retrofit install Blind%20Spot%20Wiri

Jeep Wrangler JL Blind spot monitoring retrofit install Entire%20Vehicle%20Connector%20Ma
Sponsored

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
But IMHO, and you are free to feel differently, all these features that aid driving, like backup cameras and BSM are NOT a substitute for the time tested "turning your head in the direction you are going before making the move," school of driving (at least where turning your head provides visibility. )

I'm all for these devices supplementing such things: clearly the combination of, for example, backup camera and my eyes is better than either one alone, but to my way of thinking BSM doesn't replace the need to turn one's head to confirm clearance before changing lanes.
I agree, but I also like having as many tools in that arsenal as possible! Ever get caught by surprise when you look over your shoulder, and then give your mirrors that extra check, and realize that a car snuck in juuuust the right spot? It's super rare, but I've definitely had that little surprise before. The little orange LED is nice to have for cases like that!

Lately I've kinda forgot I had the feature, though.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if JScan could make it so that when you remove the doors the BSM system continues to function. I have factory BSM and find it odd that it isn’t programmed to function when the front doors are removed. Seems like you should still get the audible alert, just not the visual alert light on the mirror.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I agree, but I also like having as many tools in that arsenal as possible! Ever get caught by surprise when you look over your shoulder, and then give your mirrors that extra check, and realize that a car snuck in juuuust the right spot? It's super rare, but I've definitely had that little surprise before. The little orange LED is nice to have for cases like that!

Lately I've kinda forgot I had the feature, though.
Excellent point. I'm all about the tech supplementing our driving skills; just not replacing them. :)

Sponsored

Dave928

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 03 Silverado, 88 Porsche 928 S4
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
So if you didn’t get the Safety Group, thus no BSM, do the LED taillights still have the sensors inside them, or are the side pods empty?

RocketScientist

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford F150
Vehicle Showcase

ReJeep'd

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I am working on these same additions to my personal 2018 Rubicon. It had some damage when I got it, so I got it fixed and have replaced mirrors with BSM enabled indicators, BSM LED tail lights and bumper with Park Assist sensors (all recycled to save planet and wallet). Replaced harnesses for each door with BSM wiring. Working on getting the park Assist module ( 68414096AB) and think I will need the harnesses that run the length of each side of the cab to the rear to get the BSM tail light wires and the Park Assist module connected, but haven't gotten that far yet..... if you are continuing to work on adding these features, please report in on anything you learn. I will do the same

OP
OP
spreadhead14

spreadhead14

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Rubicon
I am working on these same additions to my personal 2018 Rubicon. It had some damage when I got it, so I got it fixed and have replaced mirrors with BSM enabled indicators, BSM LED tail lights and bumper with Park Assist sensors (all recycled to save planet and wallet). Replaced harnesses for each door with BSM wiring. Working on getting the park Assist module ( 68414096AB) and think I will need the harnesses that run the length of each side of the cab to the rear to get the BSM tail light wires and the Park Assist module connected, but haven't gotten that far yet..... if you are continuing to work on adding these features, please report in on anything you learn. I will do the same
Thanks @ReJeep'd, definitely keep us updated!

Sponsored

lzaffuto

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 door Sport S Sarge Green
FWIW, I have seen aftermarket systems available for this at my local car audio shop, but I don't know if they are any good. It might be worth at least looking into before diving into a more complex factory solution.

ReJeep'd

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
FWIW, I have seen aftermarket systems available for this at my local car audio shop, but I don't know if they are any good. It might be worth at least looking into before diving into a more complex factory solution.
I installed one off Amazon and it worked ok. The radar pieces fit inside my LED rear lights with no issues, and the cross traffic worked great.

BSM was the problem. It worked for most of the time except when a car hung out in my blind spot (that's why I wanted this in the first place!). I live in Houston where there are lots of lanes and blocks of traffic moving together at 70mph, so it really needs to have the light lit when there is a car in my blind spot.

I had extensive discussions with the company and they admit that an object hanging in your blind spot (at same speed I was going) would not light up as an object in my blind spot. That just killed it for me. I researched a lot of others BSM add-ons, including BrandMotion (plugs into OBDII slot to get your speed, etc) and they all have an issue with objects in blind spot traveling at same speed as you.

lzaffuto

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 door Sport S Sarge Green
Ahh, I get it. So it can't see something that doesn't have a speed differential from your car.

ReJeep'd

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Ahh, I get it. So it can't see something that doesn't have a speed differential from your car.
Apparently - it must be a very difficult algorithm or there is some other data point that the OEM systems are using to get that stagnant car sitting in your blind spot to light up the mirror. BSM is great; no substitute for not looking, but when you have to track 20+ cars at any given time moving at crazy speeds, it is nice to have a helper

DarthDug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Engineer
In the interest of increasing knowledge I will add what I have learned.

Cracked my LED with BSM driver side tail light wheeling. All lights and sensors still function.

Bought a used LED tail light with out BSM.

Swapped in BSM sensor and harness from old light into new light.
No Joy. Marker lights do not illuminate. brake lights, turn lights and back up lights work. didn't check BSM.

Put LED tail light without BSM back to original. Still no marker lights.

The electronics are sealed in the housing and not interchangeable unless you crack off the red lens and try for a re-glue after.
Sponsored