Blind spot monitoring retrofit install

spreadhead14

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Rubicon
With the success of the proximity entry retrofit install, I wanted to start a new thread on the Blind Spot Monitoring install. I have seen a few posts on members trying it or selling parts but nothing on the actual detailed install. From the information that I have gathered so far, you need the following parts. Hopefully the OBD JScan will support this install. I see on the app where you can scan for the sensors but not applying them to the computer. Let's get this process started!

Driver Side Mirror with Blind Spot Detection
68281893AE

Passenger Side Mirror with Blind Spot Detection
68281892AE

Blind Spot Detection Module
68454896AA (2)

Blind Spot Module Bracket, Left
68376512AA

Blind Spot Module Bracket, Right
68376511AA

Front Door Wiring Harness
68299333AE

68299332AE (replaces 68299332AD)
Sponsored

OP
OP
spreadhead14

spreadhead14

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have been working with JScan and they will be adding this to the app. I'll confirm once everything is successfully installed and working.

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2 door, 2022 JL Rubicon 4xE
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Accredited Financial Planner
Vehicle Showcase
Keep us posted - I didn’t want to order the full safety package, there were a lot of things in it I didn’t want or need but the blind spot monitoring is something I wouldn’t mind having if the cost isn’t too crazy.

RocketScientist

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford F150
Vehicle Showcase
I have been working with JScan and they will be adding this to the app. I'll confirm once everything is successfully installed and working.
I tried this almost two years ago, using all those parts. Working with Z automotive. and beta firmware. There’s a hub you will also need to connect to - “star hub” - not the RF hub. Just a small connection block. You’ll need connectors and wire. Hub is behind carpet over rear wheel driver’s side. Two wires to each radar module. The body harness does not have those wires (at least on my 2018 Sahara did not). Got it all wired up. No go. Gave up. I dropped off forum for a while, just catching up. I will try the Jscan option see if that works. But you should verify those connections. You will see the wires on the new taillamp harness that don’t have a mate on the body side. I have the pinout somewhere but I am not on my pc.

jscan gives me some hope, as I had also installed all of the passive entry stuff, too. No go with Tazer. Two days after reading about jscan in this forum, I had odb bt adapter in hand and downloaded app, 5 minutes later I had it working. Wow.

OP
OP
spreadhead14

spreadhead14

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep, the Tazer proved to be not the best option for the money. I too, got the proximity entry successfully installed! Love it. Jscan says that it shouldn't be a problem, just waiting to hear back.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Keep us posted - I didn’t want to order the full safety package, there were a lot of things in it I didn’t want or need but the blind spot monitoring is something I wouldn’t mind having if the cost isn’t too crazy.
You don’t need to opt for the full safety package to get BSM.

The “Safety Group” includes only the BSM, backup sensors and LED tail lights —you need the LED tail lights to house the BSM sensors.

The “Advanced Safety Group” on the other hand, adds a bunch of other stuff, like forward collision warning, adaptive cruise control, blah blah blah, blah blah...

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
With the success of the proximity entry retrofit install, I wanted to start a new thread on the Blind Spot Monitoring install. I have seen a few posts on members trying it or selling parts but nothing on the actual detailed install. From the information that I have gathered so far, you need the following parts. Hopefully the OBD JScan will support this install. I see on the app where you can scan for the sensors but not applying them to the computer. Let's get this process started!

Driver Side Mirror with Blind Spot Detection
68281893AE

Passenger Side Mirror with Blind Spot Detection
68281892AE

Blind Spot Detection Module
68454896AA (2)

Blind Spot Module Bracket, Left
68376512AA

Blind Spot Module Bracket, Right
68376511AA

68299333AE

68299332AE (replaces 68299332AD)
It is my understanding that the BSM sensors are inside the LED tail light housings, not inside the side mirrors. The mirrors only have the BSM indicators lights.

So you may want to add the LED tail lights, the BSM sensors and all the necessary wiring to your list.

OP
OP
spreadhead14

spreadhead14

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is my understanding that the BSM sensors are inside the LED tail light housings, not inside the side mirrors. The mirrors only have the BSM indicators lights.

So you may want to add the LED tail lights, the BSM sensors and all the necessary wiring to your list.
Yes, the LED tail lights and there is also a jumper that I need to find the part number for. It's the connection between the BSM sensor (in the tail light) and the body harness.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

RocketScientist

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford F150
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, the LED tail lights and there is also a jumper that I need to find the part number for. It's the connection between the BSM sensor (in the tail light) and the body harness.
Yes, you will need this jumper. I looked at this again this morning to refresh my memory. That jumper will get the correct connections to the body harness. I have that. However, the body harness - again on my 2018 Sahara - does not have the wires that run to the star hub. There is no part number for this - other than a new body harness. You will need wires and correct plug type. There is a third misssing wire - the one that turns on the indicator. Again correct harnesses for mirror, door, will get that connection to body harness, but you will need to run that wire back to the taillight harness. It seems that Jscan has hit all the appropriate config settings. I’ll try connecting the two harnesses I made to from the star hub to taillights and see what happens. But that probably won’t be today.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Holy crap, $1,800...?!?! The entire Safety Group, with the backup sensors, installed at the factory, retails for only $995!

This is one example of a feature that would have me looking to trade in for a new JL, if it were indeed a must-have for me. All I’d have to do is find one other feature that is difficult to install after market, say Proximity Locks, and I’d start shopping for a new vehicle.

Certain features are just not worth my time and trouble adding after-the-fact, IMO. But that’s just me. I realize some individuals like the accomplishment of achieving the impossible.

;) My accomplishment comes from trading in for a new vehicle and losing very little money, which Wrangler’s amazing resale value often makes possible.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I installed proximity locks after purchase too, so I'm not against such "I wish I had gotten at purchase" customizations like Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM).

And I recognize everyone's tastes are different.

I'm forever carrying stuff into the locked rig that made proximity locks so worth it to me that others find pressing the fob key for trivial.

But IMHO, and you are free to feel differently, all these features that aid driving, like backup cameras and BSM are NOT a substitute for the time tested "turning your head in the direction you are going before making the move," school of driving (at least where turning your head provides visibility. )

I'm all for these devices supplementing such things: clearly the combination of, for example, backup camera and my eyes is better than either one alone, but to my way of thinking BSM doesn't replace the need to turn one's head to confirm clearance before changing lanes. It just prevents some head turns that disclose obstacles which BSM might have revealed earlier. And maybe for some that's makes the tech worth it--especially if those who drive your rig don't turn their heads (as much as they should.) And every head turn is an non-eyes on the road play.

I'm not knocking things like backup cameras and BSM; they're great. With Z Automotive's Tazer products, for example, that camera can stay on and replace your rear view mirror if stuff your hauling in your rig blocks it.

I'm against tech that makes drivers sloppy rather than, used correctly, supplements the things we should do when behind the wheel as if that tech was not there.

Sometimes even a Tesla can confuse a stationary (or relatively stationary: moving at the Tesla's speed and direction) white truck for sky.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/05/feds-autopilot-was-active-during-deadly-march-tesla-crash/

Last edited:

RocketScientist

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford F150
Vehicle Showcase
Holy crap, $1,800...?!?! The entire Safety Group, with the backup sensors, installed at the factory, retails for only $995!

This is one example of a feature that would have me looking to trade in for a new JL, if it were indeed a must-have for me. All I’d have to do is find one other feature that is difficult to install after market, say Proximity Locks, and I’d start shopping for a new vehicle.

Certain features are just not worth my time and trouble adding after-the-fact, IMO. But that’s just me. I realize some individuals like the accomplishment of achieving the impossible.

;) My accomplishment comes from trading in for a new vehicle and losing very little money, which Wrangler’s amazing resale value often makes possible.
Yeah that is a no go price there. Silly money. I had the led tailights, i had the correct door harness wiring. I’m in for about $5-600. I know what the “custom” wiring involves, an it is not $1300. That being said I attempted this early on before much was known, assuming plug and play, which it ain’t! . I have had late model Subaru - all wiring was there, computer just recognized anything you added. FCA uses a different model, as is evident now!

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Just a note for those considering this....

just like with the proximity lock post sale install and Jscan, I suspect, given the way Jscan works (and by no means is this meant as a snub of the product) that you will need to reset blind spot monitoring through Jscan each time your dealer reflashes your rig.
Sponsored