First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
There are two problems with my blind spot monitoring system (BSM) on a 2018 Rubicon Unlimited.

1) The first one started on the first trail ride and has been with me for the last two years. Don't know what causes it, but sooner or later on most rough trails the BSM icons light up on the mirrors and stay on until the Jeep is shut off. It's an irritant, but not a show stopper. Others have the same problem and FCA hasn't shown an inclination to address it. Since it's not a safety issue on the trail, I've not worried about it. Actually, we laugh about it with; "Ops, the Jeep got scared again."

2) The second problem is intermittent non-functionality of the BSM on the highway ... which is a safety concern. Yesterday three cars in a row passed me on my left ... the first two never registered and the third registered when the nose of the car was even with my rear axle.

My dealer has been working with me. They found "mud" up in the tail light on the face of the sensor. Cleaned that off, checked out the functionality, and they called it cured two days ago.

Yesterday we went on a long trip to some trails/roads west of Phoenix. The BSM worked perfectly on the highway for the 20 or 30 miles that I monitored it. Put a smile on my face! But, after spending about seven hours off road in dusty conditions in 114 degree temperatures, the BSM went back to being intermittent on the return trip home. Not good. I've not yet pulled the tail light to check for dust on the sensor ... shouldn't be open to dust if that's what's causing the problem. BTW ... I don't doubt that the dealer found a layer of dust/mud that probably reduced the sensitivity of the sensor, but now think there's more to it then that.

I noticed before that it would work great at the start of a trip, but then become less sensitive/slightly intermittent after a hour or so of driving.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so, what was the fix? Thanks in advance for your input.

@JeepCares ... any input from your group would be appreciated.
Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Did you read the owner's manual on limitations of BSM including speed differences, locations, distances, obstructions? It also says it is just an aid for blind spot monitoring. It is not fail safe.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I believe your item (1) is just the way the system works. It does it to me every time I hit the trails. It then resets itself the moment I disengage 4WD and turn the engine off and back on.

Per your BSM not detecting vehicles, thatā€™s a new one for me. Normally these sensors are extra sensitive, designed to over-report rather than under-report a vehicle in your blind spot. My guess is that thereā€™s something amiss there. Mine hasnā€™t done that, thankfully. I just canā€™t imagine dust being the culprit, though.

Good luck.

Cthehentz

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Mine did the same exact thing on the dusty trail but when away once I wiped the dust off, also I think the blinker sound is digital which is kinda weird. Once back on the free way everything cleared up and the BSM worked as designed.

OP
OP
47Jeepster

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Did you read the owner's manual on limitations of BSM including speed differences, locations, distances, obstructions? It also says it is just an aid for blind spot monitoring. It is not fail safe.
Yes I did. I also own a 2018 Grand Cherokee with the BSM as a good bench mark. Have had the feature on owned Jeep products since 2014. I full understand the feature and it's limitations. My Rubicon does not currently measure up, thus the question.

No safety feature is "fail safe" ...

Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I too have experienced the issue while on the trail. I just chalked it up to the sensor getting a good layer of dust on it. It has always worked once on the open road in 2Hi, again I figured the dust had been blown off.

Never had issue #2 though.

OP
OP
47Jeepster

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I too have experienced the issue while on the trail. I just chalked it up to the sensor getting a good layer of dust on it. It has always worked once on the open road in 2Hi, again I figured the dust had been blown off.

Never had issue #2 though.
My icons will turn off while in 2H, 4H, or 4L simply by turning the Jeep off and restarting it. Because of our dual battery system with it's built in problems (was almost stranded 15 miles from asphalt because of a bad aux battery) and the extreme heat here in Arizona (batteries will die with no warning) I avoid turning off the engine until off a trail. Thus, just live with the icons while on trail.

madscientist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Wrangler 3.6 AT
I don't think my 2020 Willys came with a blind spot . Did you order it from the factory or install it aftermarket?

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hi @47Jeepster,

Thank you for tagging our team. We do recommend returning to the dealer because your concerns were not resolved. We can certainly have a case escalated for additional support. Please send our team a private message once you have an appointment set.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

Sponsored

OP
OP
47Jeepster

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
@JeepCares ... thanks for responding Darlene. There was dirt/mud in the rear tail lights. Once that was cleaned out it worked more, but still seemed to be intermittent. So, I've been watching it closely for the last few weeks. Seems that when an F250 goes by it lights up when their front bumper is close to my rear bumper ... and, the light goes off when their rear bumper is about even with the middle of my hood.

BUT, when a compact sedan goes by, the BSM doesn't light up until their front window is ahead of my rear bumper and the light goes off when their rear window is about even with my outside mirror. My Jeep (2018 Rubicon) has larger tires and a small lift resulting in the rear brake light sitting about 4.25 inches higher than an OEM Rubicon. I'm surmising that the BSM radar beam is narrow and goes out parallel to the ground ... resulting in it "overlooking" smaller low slung sedans. Any info pro or con on that supposition would be appreciated.

If that is what is occurring, that is a safety problem that should be addressed by FCA. Here in Arizona, most Jeeps are lifted, so have started to ask for feedback from fellow Jeepers.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
give me a call about this. I did some research and testing and may have some info.

Greg H

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
I know this thread is 6 months old. I'm having an issue with my BSM as well. But mine only fails above 11,000 feet. Below that it works fine. It's not just when off road. The first time it did it we were on Trail Ridge road (HWY 34) in Rocky Mountain National park in August 2019. It' continues to fail every time we we get above that altitude whether in 2H on pave roads or 4H or 4L on trails. Anyone else have a similar issue and found a fix? Dealer always says unable to duplicate issue. Duh, they aren't able to take it over any high passes.
Sponsored