Sponsored

Blind Spot Monitoring confirmed for 2018 Wrangler (photos)

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

A Blind Spot Monitoring System (BSM) has also been confirmed by the photos which revealed the JL's tail lights!

The triangle indicator seen in the side view mirrors will illuminate when it detects a vehicle in the blind spot. Description of BSM from the Grand Cherokee:

The available Blind Spot Monitoring System helps you make safer lane changes by alerting you when a vehicle enters your blind spot zone. Sensors scan approximately one lane over on each side. When a sensor detects a vehicle in the blind spot zone, you can program it to alert you with an illuminated icon in the corresponding exterior mirror and an audible chime.

2018-Jeep-Wrangler-BlindSpotMonitoring-1.jpg

2018-Jeep-Wrangler-BlindSpotMonitoring.jpg

safety_blind.png
Sponsored

MotorCityJK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR Hard Rock, 2015 200S AWD
I'd like to know where the sensors are packaged. They can't see through sheet metal (radar).

JaybearWL

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0t
I'd like to know where the sensors are packaged. They can't see through sheet metal (radar).
If I were guessing, I'd say probably the mirror housing. We don't get a good view of the housing in these pics.

MotorCityJK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If I were guessing, I'd say probably the mirror housing. We don't get a good view of the housing in these pics.
Couldn't really look through the mirror itself. They typically don't like sharp objects in the field of view and there's a lot going on inside a power mirror. Blind Spot radar is always packaged in the rear corners of the vehicle. If they do a plastic bumper cover again w/ the ends being empty they might package in there. The F150 puts them in the tail lamps with an area clear for the radar to pass through.

Sponsored

MotorCityJK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm actually quite surprised this feature will be available. Even though it will probably be an option, it's not a government mandate.

And when the doors come off, there goes the mirrors.
With the doors off your blind spot is kinda gone. :like:

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
I'm actually quite surprised this feature will be available. Even though it will probably be an option, it's not a government mandate.

I understand your points, but those same points could have been made with the JK side mirrors and power windows too. They didn't HAVE to offer power windows, and i'm sure it offered quite a challenge at first, but who here doesn't want them? This is the same with BSM and other things that are becoming standard on all other vehicles. Jeep really has to offer them to stay competitive within the auto industry as a whole. Sure, I see a bunch of Jeeps with the doors off (especially here in good ole' Bama) but the majority (probably 80% or more) will never take their doors off. I also don't think its too much to ask of FCA/Jeep to design a Wrangler that has all this tech and is still able to be a Jeep. Its an expensive vehicle. It should come with the latest technologies. I think the average joe-blow will expect it and that's why im not surprised.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport

if mirror mounted on A-pillar, no problem!
Jeep Wrangler JL Blind Spot Monitoring confirmed for 2018 Wrangler (photos) {filename}

As another poster said doors off means no blind spot.

Sponsored

Midnight2d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Rubicon
Compared to my gf's car and most others I've driven the Wrangler's visibility is superior. Never felt there were notable blind spots in my JKU (except anything really low to the ground lol).
Sponsored