Sponsored

Blind Spot detection: is it useless or am I missing something?

OP
OP

iwishiwereadinosaur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Liberty
Wasn't my friend. I was a deputy sheriff and came on the wreck seconds after it happened. One of many I worked that taught me a lot of people do not pay attention to driving. And if we become dependent on technology, all of which have limitations as I and others have pointed out, more and more people will lose what driving skills they have.
I have the automatic cruise control that also emergency brakes if I'm going to collide with something. In my first week of owning my Jeep a car cut me off and that thing stopped me so fast I barely knew what had happened. Possibly saved my life. Definitely saved my car.

These safety features are extremely useful because - if what you say is true and many to most drivers aren't paying attention - then they help good drivers steer clear of them.

I paid through the nose for every additional safety package on the Jeep. In my opinion the blind spot detection is shit compared to every other car I've used it in and that sucks because I paid for it, but also because it is - like airbags, seatbelts, ACC, etc. - another layer of protection from me and idiots on the road.
Sponsored

OP
OP

iwishiwereadinosaur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Liberty
Yours is defective. Take it in.

Should light up and beep (assuming you have beep turned on) when something is there. Don’t have to turn into it to beep. But it’s never failed to pick up a car ir motorcycle in my blind spot so defective. Hope they get it fixed speedy.
Once this coronavirus thing lets up a bit, I'm going to get it looked at.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have the automatic cruise control that also emergency brakes if I'm going to collide with something. In my first week of owning my Jeep a car cut me off and that thing stopped me so fast I barely knew what had happened. Possibly saved my life. Definitely saved my car.

These safety features are extremely useful because - if what you say is true and many to most drivers aren't paying attention - then they help good drivers steer clear of them.

I paid through the nose for every additional safety package on the Jeep. In my opinion the blind spot detection is shit compared to every other car I've used it in and that sucks because I paid for it, but also because it is - like airbags, seatbelts, ACC, etc. - another layer of protection from me and idiots on the road.
My point is that none of these safety systems are all encompassing. There are speed limitations, positional limitations, weather/traffic limitations, and more. But too many people don't read and understand what they are plus if you drive more than one vehicle there are different limitations.

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
I got a couple small rectangular blind spot mirrors, mounted them and have never had an issue. And I do a check every now and then to remind myself of the point at which i can see a car next to me in both mirrors.