Sponsored

Blind Spot detection: is it useless or am I missing something?

iwishiwereadinosaur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Liberty
I've had my 2019 Wrangler for 9 months. I love it. I wanted blind spot detection. In other cars the mirror lights up whenever something is in my blind spot. If I swerve towards it the car beeps. That's how I imagined this.

I can have a car in the lane next to me and there is nothing that happens with the mirror. If I swerve towards a car I will pretty much hit it before it beeps if it beeps.

However, there's a bridge by my house that has a post about 20 feet from the road but is on a curve in the road and it sets off the blind spot monitor every day.

Is there something wrong? Is there a way to configure this to work? Am I expecting too much. I'd just love a light when something is in my blind spot. Especially because the mirrors don't go wide enough to eliminate the blind spot.
Sponsored

Overland Utah

First Name
Caden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Your mirrors should light up if there is a car in your blind spot, and should also chime if that setting is on and you use your blinker. It won’t alert you if you merge without using your blinker, or at least mine never has.

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
Or go old school and turn your head. We rely too much on the nannies and lose a lot of basic driving skills.
Technology assistance has its merits, but visual confirmation of your surroundings will always keep you out of trouble.

palmor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude, 2018 JLU Moab
Your mirrors should light up if there is a car in your blind spot, and should also chime if that setting is on and you use your blinker. It won’t alert you if you merge without using your blinker, or at least mine never has.
Don't have it in the Wrangler but we do have it in our 2019 GC and this is exactly how it works.

Sponsored

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Don't have it in the Wrangler but we do have it in our 2019 GC and this is exactly how it works.
This is exactly how it works on my JLU. I never had it in a vehicle prior to this one but it seems to work pretty well. It would have been far more useful on my 2017 RAM as visibility in the Wrangler is pretty good.

KPersCO

First Name
KP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Rubicon, '13 WRX Wagon
Occupation
Engineer
The mirror should always light up regardless of your blinker. As soon as a car moves into the area it will turn on so if you aren't seeing it I would go get it checked.

I personally have the beeping turned off.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Yes, anytime there is a car on your flank, the light should blink, a nice option.

Sponsored

wordslayer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
grand cherokee
Mine works, but it doesn't work until a car is RIGHT UP TO you. Is there a way to have it trigger a little before it gets to your rear bumper?

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Or go old school and turn your head. We rely too much on the nannies and lose a lot of basic driving skills.
Technology assistance has its merits, but visual confirmation of your surroundings will always keep you out of trouble.
Everything is relative. 100 years ago, Henry Ford probably balked at the expense of putting mirrors on his cars. "Can't the drivers just go old school and look over their shoulders like they've always done?" :)

N75

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 2dr
My 2019 works fine, little orange light in both side mirror light up.

R3D J33P

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR - Firecracker Red
I have had it on 2 cars and my jeep. I love it, especially when driving freeways. It should light when the car beside you technically can't be seen by your mirrors and will not beep unless you have your turn signal on. That being said it is always best to pair it with a quick glance.

Has definitely helped me out on more than one occasion. It's not idiot proof but a good companion feature.
Sponsored